[PC] Whats happening this week in KANO/APPS Dev, TGIF edition!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Deltan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Deltan

Deltan Member

Instability, Outages and Apology
    Since mid-December 2011 we have been met with a series of cache server outages unlike any we have had in the history of KANO/APPS. We now believe that we have made the necessary system changes to prevent the kinds of outages that we have been experiencing, which is a good thing! We are confident that we have fixed the issues, time will tell if we have resolved these instability issues.

These outages have pushed us to improve our internal processes: better alerting on possible issues before they happen and moving data out of cache to persistent storage so that when a cache server does die there is minimal impact to the player. We just about have everything moved over, the last big changed will be users' rivals lists which will go out next week. So players should expect one more rival reset, which we will warn people in advance about, but from that point on it will be stored in persistent storage which means no more resets.

Sometimes outages occur and are beyond our control but with the extent of issues occurring over the last 60-days and now that we believe to have found / fixed the issue(s) we would like to roll out a "Thanks for Playing" item next week as an apology to all active players, we will be speaking more to that next week providing that we have no pending fires to attend to (knock on wood).

Here are some changes that occurred this week!
    • Player Requested: Ability to hide new Limited Inventory items on home page for a session of play (6-hr timeout)
    • Social Feed Maintenance, we have had some issues with performance which may have contributed to some of the recent issues, we have hopefully fixed those issues with this maintenance.
    • Leap Year calendar.
    • Inner Circle page optimizations to improve adding & removing members.
    Upcoming Changes Target Next Week
    Boss Improvements
    • Max boss helper damage moved to persistent storage and one setting for all bosses, no more resetting max boss dmg each time.
    • Min dmg required by boss owner, no more bosses being killed when the boss owner has done 0 dmg.
    • Death by boss will result in loss of XP, this was something that when we originally rolled out pulled back loss of XP to allow players time to invest in Health appropriately, now that it has been some time it is now time to add loss of XP back in, if you are dying by boss then for your level you should invest more in health.
    Property Selling
    • We will look to bring selling features back and engage the community more next week with respect to why it was removed and why we made this change originally back in 2010 but pulled back to allow players time to adjust, more to follow on this topic next week.
    Stamina/Energy/Health Refills
    • From ideas players have requested that stamina refills add their max stamina to current amount, so for example if you had 500 as your current max Stamina a Stamina Refill would give you +500 stamina no matter what your current stamina is, and guess what we agree!
    • There was also a suggestion to add 50% refill options, this is something that we are going to look into more and see what we can do. :)
    Stamina Refill Buttons
    • When fighting a boss / rival players have complained about the placement of the refill stamina button, we will look into this next week and make appropriate changes to reduce the opportunity for mis-clicks.

2. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

What about adding the confirm button on items. So many players still accidentaly hit those buttons when navigating into the game. Having a confirm button before you purchase a sale item limited item which ever one would greatly help the game also.

3. PaganWench

PaganWench Active Member

"Death by boss will result in loss of XP, this was something that when we originally rolled out pulled back loss of XP to allow players time to invest in Health appropriately, now that it has been some time it is now time to add loss of XP back in, if you are dying by boss then for your level you should invest more in health."

WHAT??? We will lose XP if we run out of health when helping with Bosses? Have you really looked at the health these Bosses begin with and very quickly build up to? Are we then protected from the loss of our XP if we refill our health before it runs out when we're fighting a Boss?

4. Jon Ward

I think there referring to if you kill yourself just like a battle. Whats the odd's of that really happening slim to none unless you literally have no health at all. Most of the time when you help on bosses your going to send yourself into the hospital not kill yourself.

5. I have over 30K health yet I still can die on bosses with 20 stam hits.

6. Relentless

Relentless Active Member

You should be warning people about health and defence when attacking a boss, because you don't die on a boss just because you have low health. If you have low (no) defence, you will also die attacking bosses.

I had 20k health at around level 700, because i had no def, I would die on a boss if i didn't pay attention.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Jon Ward

I see what your saying it is a possibility. Just like someone battling you is a possibility that you might die from there hits. But if you pay attention i would say 99 percent of the time you will put yourself in the hospital not kill yourself.

8. Deltan

Deltan Member

I believe we recently struck down an idea on the ideas board along these lines. A confirmation introduces extra clicks that we didn't want people to deal with. They slow everything down.

9. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I will take the extra click for this problem :) most games have one :(

10. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I killed myself once when the slider slid to the max, so I watch closely, I only use 5 stamina hits to reach the min and if it is a baby boss I use 1 stamina hits till I reach the min, this also keeps my damage in check as alot of people over hit on someone else's baby boss , not a cool thing to do, things are better with the last slider set improvement, but not perfect, i would like to see the slider set to min damage, not just double the minimum :)

11. Jon Ward

Thank you developers for giving us the option of hiding the items in the main part of the screen like world chat. I know a lot of us appreciate it. Even if many don't say it you guys do a fantastic job. Thank you again.