[VC] Developer Update July 20th - Death by Boss Patch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kendall, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

We just pushed out a bug fix for death caused by a boss attack. Players with low max health can be killed by a boss, when a player is killed by a boss it will now result in a reset of their survival streak and result in 0 XP. Eventually this will be changed to a loss of XP as it should have been from initial release.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. how very disappointing

now its going to discourage lower levels in helping out in bosses(or even starting one)

survival streak resetting i can see

but losing exp is the part thatll discourage some from joining bosses now

3. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

A low level player should still have no issue helping out. It is players that are at a higher level with low health that will be more susceptible to getting killed. If a player is investing in health, this should never be an issue.

4. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

At the very least, if you are dying on an attack you shouldn't be awarded any XP.

5. that part is agreeable as is survival resetting

its actually losing exp on a boss thats discouraging

6. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

i agree, this is a lame "fix", im so tired of building accounts around existing game play only to have it yanked out from under us. Its gonna slow down the game as now we will have to go much slower in effort not to die. shame on you Kano....lol

7. polishpimp

its not just low health Kendall..... Im a higher level and have one of the highest health in the game and i have no problem dying on bosses due to my extremely low defense. I to agree with ending the survival streaks and not gaining xp....but dont like the losing xp part

8. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

Well, I think that death is death, therefore you should lose xp. I had it maybe 3 times that I attacked a high-level boss and the last attack dealt more damage to me than I had health left.

I don't think it's unfair. I rather like the change, it finally gives the players with higher health an advantage against the low-health PvP-Builds. Not a direct battle advantage, but still. Of course, someone deciding to say "I don't care about bosses" and building a low-health PvP-character with extreme attack and defense can still compete, with having hundreds of extra skill points not invested in health.

And Polish, the game started with 3 Skill Points per level and as an Army versus Army game with lower influence of the personal stats in battle. Your loadout was more important. Going more in the PvP-direction and giving more Skill Points was definitely the biggest change in the game and look, people adapted. They will adapt to this change, too. And as Kendall said, this "change" was intended from the beginning.

9. polishpimp

Of course I will adapt as I always do. Yes...death is death but there is a significant difference in this particular situation....when a player dies while battling, counters or traps they are normally using one stamina, where as if you are attacking a boss with a power attack that player can lose 20 stamina...isnt that penalty enough? losing 2o stamina, xp and a death seems a bit extreme for battling an enemy that doesnt fight back. As i stated previously....low health is not the only factor here...I have extremely high health and die easily when attacking larger bosses. As far as the low health issue goes...I believe Kano has and still is addressing that issue as it pertains to PvP gaming

10. I didn't want to comment until I had asked a lower level in my clan to help me investigate this.

Against a level 30 Skadi, a lvl 500 doing a power attack with ending stats of 1050 atack and 750 defense, Died 4 times out of 12 attacks against the boss.

Now if he had lost xp, that would have resulted in a loss of 1000 xp I believe. vs a gain of 720 resulting in a net loss of xp for helping with a boss.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  11. polishpimp

@ Kendall...If we have to slow way down on every boss to insure we dont die and lose xp....were gonna be using a boat load less stamina, I kill a ton of bosses every single day....im just guessing but i bet in my case that adds up to thousands less stamina I will use in a day, see where im going with this?

12. Maybe these players just need to pay attention to their health stat while attacking and heal more frequently. Problem solved.

If they aren't paying attention they deserve to die and lose experience points - eventually they will learn from their experience.

It's way too late for the best solution to this problem which would have been to tie minimum stat levels to enter certain worlds

13. well if new locations come out

can tie it in then lol

14. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

What was the users health, if they have "low" health that could be the reason. If players are investing in Health they should not be dieing, unless of course their total defense compared to the bosses attack is way off and are doing 20 Stamina Power attacks.

15. polishpimp

Although low health and or Defense may be a big factor...its far from the only factors, my guess would be it has much more to do with the bosses numbers themselves. Although JJ doesnt die while attacking bosses....she comes very close fairly often by dropping to single digit health, she either leads or at the very least amongst the leaders in every attribute category. If she actually tried to kill herself on a boss by being more selective with the types of attacks she used....im 100% positive she could be killed by a boss. Maybe its the bosses numbers themselves that should be tweaked....because if she could do it ...I guarantee anybody else in the game could die while fighting a high leveled boss. Maybe this is just another good reason to mothball bosses once they get to a particular level,,,,say level 100?

16. Devs, Please please please don't limit Boss levels because some people haven't developed their characters to be successful against them. Why punish the rest of us??
    Thanks

17. polishpimp

LMAO! was your comment in reference to my statement regarding mothballing higher leveled bosses? Ummmmmm....r u mentally handicapped...myself as well as the leader of myspace VC and the majority of leaders of myspace VC all got to where they r in large part due to bosses...so your comment about not developing their characters is either stupidity or ignorance...take your pick. The fact of the matter here is I was simply trying to help....The extremely high leveled bosses out there can only be killed by a handful of players out there and because of there xtremely high health and poor xp return and the fact that many r now dying while attacking them.... the majority of them either never get put out or end in defeat wasting everyones stamina that was trying to help. They also take up valuable server space that could be better used elsewhere as far as future updates and upgrades...this subject was discussed at great length in a previous thread. Please explain specifically how u or anyone else would be "punished" by mothballing/ capping the level limits on bosses once they get to the point they r no longer relevant or a viable use of time and or stamina.

18. look he freely admits to build multiple accounts lol

19. build some defense and you wont die so easy in boss battles lol hehehe advantages of not have a one sided account and every build has their advantages and disvantages so stop whining lol

20. polishpimp

LMAO....have u checked the leader board or my win/loss record lately. Its ok bpg....i would be upset too if u were now beating me regular attacks ; )