[PC] Armada Wars Open Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Eric, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator

We are hoping to release Armada Wars soon to Pirate Clan but first would like your feedback. The following is an explanation of the feature. We'd like to use this thread for open discussion to gather feedback and suggestions.

If you are a leader or officer of an Armada you can enable Armada Wars through the edit interface, but before you do make sure everyone in the Armada understands the rules. Compete against other Armadas who have wars enabled for War Points (WP). You can get war points by attacking, pistol whips and bountying other players that are in Armadas at war. Kills will give the highest WP reward. You are limited to how many times you can attack another player. Similarly to Gamer Points, at the end of each season Trophies and ranks are given out for War Armadas.

War Rivals: If you attack a player that is in a Armada that is at war, you will put yourself on that Armadas War Rival list which will allow every player in the opposing Armada to attack/whip/bounty you to gain War Points regardless of your level for a period of 24-hr since your last attack against any member in the opposing Armada. If you do not directly attack a player that is a higher level than you, and you are on their Armada Rival list, they will only be able to attack you until their War Points are exhausted (5-attacks), but if you do attack them you will be added to their Rival List and open yourself up for retaliation as it exists today.

War Points: You score War Points for attacking other Armadas that are in War. There are limits of War Points that can be gained from a single player daily, below are the limits and War Points rewarded:

Attacks: If a war opponent is within XP range, on your Armadas War Rival list or in your Rival List, you can attack that player 5 times before you reach your daily limit for that opponent. 3 War Points for an attack win and 2 for a loss and 5 for a kill. Points are only credited to the attacker.

Bounties: If a war opponent is within XP range, on your Armadas War Rival list or in your Rival List, you can bounty that player 1 time before you reach your daily limit for that opponent. 5 War Points are rewarded for a successful bounty. For War Point bounties, attacker will always pay the base bounty cost.
    Whips: You can whip an opposing Armada player that is in a War 4 times before that targets War Points become exhausted for the day. 1 War Point are rewarded for every successful whip on a War target.

What issues were we looking to address with this feature?

We wanted to address player complaints about PVP fighting being neglected. With additions of challenges and bosses, many players felt that we have been ignoring PVP fights (attacks, whips, bounties). Increase PVP opponents for those looking for more.
    We wanted to address complaints from players that they were being over attacked / bullied by other players.
    Better align players in an Armada with their interests in the game (boss killing, PVP fighting, etc). There has always been a grey area with respect to Armadas, some use it for wars, others use it to meet new players, others use it to work together to get gamer points, others use it for additional help, and some use for all of the above. The grey area has caused issues which was the reason for us adding in Armada privacy in the past.

Why 5 attacks:

To entice more people of varying game play to enter into a war. Withstanding 5 attacks from a really high level opponent should be more bearable but still has risk of death in those 5 attacks. Retaliation window would open if player attacks back.
    Overall goal is to have more players participating so finding the balance between rewards and consequences is what we are currently trying to do.

How does Armada Wars address the concerns/complaints above?

Armada Wars is a feature that is targeted at PVP enthusiasts. Some of the restrictions/protection like increasing Bounty costs are removed within the daily limit of Armada War participants. Higher XP rewards for fighting, whips and bounties against players that are in a Armada at War is increased to offer compensation for the likelihood that you will be taking on more deaths as a consequence of participating in a Armada War.
    PVP enthusiasts that "over attack" and go after other Armadas not interested in PVP will now have an arena that they can compete against other like minded Armadas. The incentives offered in the Armada Wars are enough to get players that are interested in PVP to participate in the War and focus less on those players that are not interested
    Armada Rival list is a new concept. For those that are at War, any player that attacks a member of your Armada that is also in a Armada at War will be added to your Armadas rival list which will open that player up for attacks and ability to get points from.

We will make necessary adjustments to this feature to find the balance where it is fun for everyone to compete in, but have no mistake about it, Armada Wars should not be the faint of heart and not be for those that think getting whipped/bountied or attacked by any other player at War is unfair or bullying, it is an open arena, and open competition.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

Only issue i can see with this is if you have higher armadas with a lot of strong level players they will destroy smaller armadas if they choose to participate in it. 5 attacks from a single player that is higher can still kill individuals like you said. But if you have 25 individuals in an armada who can kill every single player within 5 attacks it not even a challenge and you know that armada wins hands down everytime.

3. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Fair point John, do you have any suggestions?

The main intent of the feature is to give those Armada's that want to war a place to do so. There will be strategy involved and this is not a feature for everybody but will hopefully solve some issues currently with Armada's and that is that there are Armada's set up for war but no feature supporting it.

For example, if there is a Armada full of higher levels, don't attack them and you will not be put on their Armada Rivals.

I don't think it will be as clear cut as who has the highest level players, a balanced Armada that works together using strategy would be able to beat a fully loaded Armada any day.

4. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

ok so I am not a " team player" I do my own thing, so my question is if I am in an armada that does not opt into this feature, can I still play they way I play and retaliate against some one who attacks me ,if they happend to be in an armada that has opted in , am I now gonna be on an ARMADA WAR rival list ????????????????????????????????????????

5. my myspace armada is mixed in levels and strength

some i got for strength others for other reasons

point is a diverse armada like mine if done right can beat out a armada of pure powerhouses

one would think the powerhouses would have the edge

but strategy can easily turn the tables

on another note:are counters a factor or are those voided if in war mode...same with bounty traps

6. Jon Ward

Sorry its been along time since ive used discussion boards in games like this. And can't remember if you can reply by doing another post in the same thread.

My only concern is if i wanted to choose this feature i want to do it for myself and by myself. Not bring my whole armada into it. Your opening up the retaliations of a complete strong unified armada to ravage a smaller one. Think about this if your allowing 5 attacks per player in this war feature. And within those 5 attacks they can kill you. If you have a whole armada of players like that. Thats 25 kills on one player in a day everyday not the best situation to be involved in.

7. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Yes, Armada War is an optional feature, for those players that want to take their PVP play to the next level.

It will not impact in any way your current game play, if you attack another Armada that is in War you will not be added to their Armada Rival list unless your Armada is at War.

8. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Counter Attacks and Bounty Traps are still effective, but no points are awarded to the defender.

You are correct about a balanced Armada, as long as all members understand the rules of engagement, they can avoid certain Armada's. All players in an Armada at War will be clearly identified with targets.

9. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

I understand your concern. When we introduced Privacy option to Armada's we did so because of the volume of messages that we got from Armada's that could not understand why they were being attacked, majority of times it was from another Armada that was at War, or a few in the Armada that attacked other players in another Armada bringing everyone else into the "War", issue with that is that there were no clear definition of what a War was. We enabled Privacy for those Armada's for those Armada's that had no interest of "War", we are now enabling a supported in game War feature for those Armada's that are looking for War.

Armada's that are at War, even if both are set to private, can see each others members, but Armada's not in War would not be able to see War Armada's with their privacy set.

Does that make sense? Basically we added privacy as a way for Armada's to not be involved in the unsupported "War" but have now come with a feature to support those players that are looking for a war.

10. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

so...is it a big pool of guilds that opt in and are available for war? if my guild opts in....we can attack any other guild/armada that has also opted in? or do we have to opt in mutually with individual guilds/armadas?

11. polishpimp

I dont know of any guilds that is only high level players. Even if there was.....higher leveled players attack is scaled way way down when attacking a lower level. I have one of the strongest attacks in the game and rarely if ever kill low levels with a regular attack or slap

12. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Guilds/Armada's would have to opt-in for War.

Guilds/Armada's that are opted in for war will be listed through a filter on the Guild/Armada page, players can use that to seek out potential targets.

Normal attack/bounty/pistol whip ranges apply except for the case where a player that is from a guild/armada that is at war attacked a player in your guild/armada, that player would be added to your Armada Rival List. Now if that player is normally out of your range, you can attack him until you have exhausted your War Point attacks (5), if they attack you back directly then they will be added to your personal rival list as it happens today.

All Guilds/Armadas that opt-in are entered into the same battle arena, there is no 1-on-1 option.

13. Jon Ward

Thats the whole point you do not know of any yet. But sooner or later your going to have individuals form armadas like this. It happens in every game were they introduce something like this that allows either clans captains armadas clicks whatever you want to call the groups sooner or later they recruit to be the number 1 in the game for whether it be pride bullying accomplishments trophies ribbons or rewards it always does sooner or later.

14. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

A common compliant from players, is bullies, players that over attack, punch and/or hitlist with-in the limits of the game. We have a couple options:

* Change the PVP limits (reduce attacks 20 a day, reduce hitlists, reduce punches, etc). The response from this change on a mature game would be deafening, if we ever wanted to make the Kano Forums light up this would be one change to do that.
    * Add a new feature that moves the focus / attention of those that like to attack away from those that don't and on to those that do, that is what we are trying to do with Armada Wars without interfering with existing gameplay or changing rules on existing features.

15. Jon Ward

Okay i see your point on that but is armada wars really going to help anything no not really. Your still going to have the bullies in games continously hit players regardless if they participate. What you need to do to resolve that issue is make it by level restricitions in the games. 200 levels in between after level 1000. That allows no higher bullies to hit bounty attack you in any form unless you do retaliation against them first. Then that makes it fair game. Also allowing to see the individuals on the fight board who can fight you but are a higher level then you. I have noticed that issue. How is it fair they can use the slide bar to do a damage battle boost against you but you cannot do it back to them. And as far as armada wars goes it should have been an arena of some sort were its one on one individually. Its random fights with players and you build your war points up this way and trade them in would have been the better solution. Instead of dragging whole armadas into it. Your going to have armadas who choose to play armada wars. But have members in it that do not want to participate but want to stay in the group because they enjoy playing with those people. But like you said once your armada chooses to participate in the war feature they get to there whole list of players opened up. Thus resulting in bringing every member into it because they will be bountied or pistol whipped to be brought into it if they choose not to fight.

16. polishpimp

Not sure if your getting the point. If u dont opt into the "wars"....u have no worries. So if u dont like this update...dont opt in! Just keep playing the way u do now and u wont even know that guild wars are even going on.

Of course guilds/armadas will recruit in an effort to better their chances by having like minded individuals in their guild...Thats the whole idea, to focus the more aggressive PVP players attention on each other while diverting their attentions away from the more peace loving basket weaving vikings....lol

The best of both worlds I would say.

17. Jon Ward

No i get the point. The developers of the game do not get the point of it. Your asking players who want to stay with there friends and some of them want armada wars and if the leader chooses to add it. Everyone gets there pretty little pictures and names on display for any other war armada to see. So if you have 10 players in the armada who want war the other 15 suffer because if they choose not to hit they can still be pistol whipped or bountied since there profiles will be visible since there armada is shown as being in the war. I have said my issues on it the developers are going to do what they choose to do.

18. polishpimp

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz... r u kidding me? your level restriction idea is ridiculous....for starters your assuming that simply because a player is much higher leveled that they must be stronger. secondly.....there are already restrictions in place. Lastly.....your idea would pretty much make bounties non existent for the highest of levels. That a great idea....play hard,,strive for more....ok u did it....now your screwed. ummmmm.....NOT!

If u have a guild/armada full of player that arent like minded...What were u thinking? Heres a thought....how about joining one that has common interest and goals!

There will always be "bullies"....but this update will potentially lessen that. some players get on for a very limited time. If they are engaged in the "wars"....then they will need to take care of that biz first and foremost...drawing their attention/actions away from their other victims. Every minute they're engaged in the "wars" is a minute they arent terrorizing others who arent!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  19. polishpimp

Suffer? they can leave the guild/armada if they want. What...they cant remain friends if they're not in the same guild/armada? I wonder how that makes the rest of your clan feel...lol. This update offers us all a choice....if u like to kick butt....then join a a group of others who do as well, if u like to sit around weaving baskets and exchanging recipes...then find a group who likes to do that!

20. The only thing that I would like to see changed is that retaliation hits be limited to where it was done. If you attack someone in PVP then you go on the rivals list. If you attack a player in the war zone then you subject yourself to those rules of limited hits. I think the war zone attacks should not subject someone going on someones rival list in PVP/battle zone. I would also like to see that bounty attacks not put you in the rival list for open attacks. I really do not see that one happening but I really think that Armada war attacks should not subject you to the battle/pvp rival list. Lets leave those attacks in their respective places.