[PC] New Sidebar for Facebook Canvas / Offsite

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Eric, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator

About 6 months or so Facebook made a change that allowed game developers to use a "fluid" width, we did not make any changes to make use of that extra space, that is until now!

Players that use resolutions less than 1280 will not see the addition as it will be hidden automatically. Since players with smaller resolutions will not see the sidebar we are treating it as an extension to the menu raising visibility to sections of the game that are currently hidden.

Today we have rolled out the the new sidebar for Pirate Clan.

Sidebar includes:
    -latest news
    -events such as upcoming battle arenas, challenge status and world boss attack links.
    -friend inviter
    -earn favor points button
    -image links for easy accessibility into some of the latest features and content.
    -hide/show tab, remembers setting

Below is a screencap, let us know your feedback, or other information you'd like to see in the sidebar!
    sidebar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  2. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Very cool and needed, ty

3. neill1990

neill1990 Well-Known Member

hey i have been wundering this for a while now. why is the game on myspace bigger then on facebook? on facebook it is about half the size

4. Eric

Eric Administrator

760 pixel and 960 pixel where the widths originally set for Facebook and Myspace. Since then Facebook has changed to allow for fluid width games.

5. Michelle Panton

Michelle Panton New Member

Is there an option to get rid of the sidebar? It makes the page look irritatingly cluttered and squished. I'll go to the homepage if I need to know feed info, like before.

6. Ray Ford

Ray Ford Member

Have friends who are having problems getting into the game on both Facebook & Kano Apps. And can I make the minimization of the sidebar locked or will it constantly pop open like the offers do on the home page after I close them. As far as I am concerned this was not an needed or wanted addition.

7. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

Eric some players are upset because they cannot collapse it and it throws there screen out of whack. They cannot get to the tab to close the sidebar because of the ads on the right. Can you put the tab or right next to the word news on that new side bar if its going to stay hide side bar in words or the gray shaded tab put it right there.

8. neill1990

if you are using google chrome you can block the adds by using adblock plus in the app store and its free

9. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

well the add block got rid of the adds but still have no access to the button to collapse that part of the screen to I can play, I cannot even see the new sidebar to give feed back other than HELP

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  10. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

All Better :) :) :) :) like magic thanks

11. Eric

Eric Administrator

We had a couple javascript issues for some browsers, these should now be fixed, if you have any issues please post to this thread or write into support. If you also have any feedback or things you'd like to see in the sidebar please post in this thread and we can discuss!

12. neill1990

for all the other browzers
    for internet explorer there is a adblock addon that you can download that does the same thing
    for fire fox there is adblock plus
    opera is adblock

if you want me to post the links toall of the adblocks for diferent browsers just coment that you do

13. neill1990

thenew sidebar doesnt fit proporly on the myspace page i have to scroll over to activate it

14. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

The sidebar should only be showing for Facebook and offsite versions, not on Myspace. If you think it's affecting your game on Myspace, please take a screenshot of the issue and email in to support about it.

15. neill1990

here is screenshot 1 before i scroll over using the midle mouse buton
    screenshot2.jpg

here is the second screenshot after i scroll over
    screenshot1.jpg

16. Wonder Bread

Hmm, curious. We've just made a small fix, so try refreshing your browser and let us know if it's still showing the sidebar.

17. neill1990

its gone but the game is just a little off side but it doesnt afect the game

18. Wonder Bread

Glad to hear it's gone again. Thanks for letting us know.

19. neill1990

ya no problem and if myspace gives you more room on there site will you add the sidebar?

20. Wonder Bread

If Myspace adopted a fluid width canvas system similar to Facebook's, we would consider adding the sidebar there, although it's unlikely that this would happen. It's also important to note that the sidebar is still in early beta, and we don't plan any major releases until it's refined.