Battle Arena Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Eric, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandyou

meandyou Banned

poilish there was a reason behind my original question, because areana is new game , dont know how hard or easy it would be but to increase the number of the players in the battle arena knano count combine the game into one ms and fb together , but if you have two acconts ie one in my space and one in fb, you can only enter your stronger of the two, dont really know if it would work, but it would be interesting to see if it was possible , the winner in my eyes does not matter as they are one of fights, and seing how hard it was for the short amount of time , i was in it as i only manages 10500 win before i was knocked out ,i thing that the end priczes were a bit mean for the amount of efort some players put into it and then there were players getting rewarded just for doing nothing but putting thier name in

2. Allan Bronk

Allan Bronk New Member

i hope its not always going to take place during the afternoon since i work or else i'll never get a chance to try it. i ended up rank 101 without even having a chance to play

3. alka

alka Banned

I was 311 without even playing because I signed up days ago. So I guess the lesson here is not to join until the last moment.

4. meandyou

meandyou Banned

now dont see that as there was no limit on how much stamina you could buy that is why there was no cap on stamina every one had the chance to buy stamina and fight as long as they wanted to or as long as they lasted , but by there being no cap on the amount of stamina it rendered the defence mode inaffectable as all it did was slow down wen you were going to get killed if there was a cap on the amount of stamina you could use then the defence mode would have been more effect as a player would have moved on to a softer target to save his stamina , being able to buy as much as you wanted , n
    made the defence mode a worth less addtion to the game letting players think they would not get killed all it really done was give the player with loads of stamina extra exp has he had more hit on that player

5. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

for me Health was def a problem , I have decent health but for the arena I need more, since I can't count on getting credit for a kill that some one "steals" ( lol) out from under me, I used my full stam and one dj refill while I was in there and that totals maybe 3,000 stam, I know people who have 5,000 to 7,000 stam , maybe not many , prob the average player is maybe 2,000 to 3,000 , just guessing

6. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying...but no matter how u slice it or dice it by "evening", leveling, balancing things....you are either taking or giving from someone which is either a advantage or disadvantage to someone. Every aspect of the games is limited, capped or restricted heavily already as is the battle arena......Personally i think its nice that we have an aspect that is at least a little less restrictive. Weve seen that lower to mid levels can fare well...so why change things drastically? The mre powerful should have a better chance, if a low to mid level wins...imagine the bragging rights.

7. parker

parker New Member

I thought it was very well thought out. I disagree with those complaining about too many attacks from one person, getting their kills stolen, etc. - it's just like the bounty board and part of the game. It would be easier to see a health meter by the players, but that would probably result in a quicker exit for the lower level players. I think it was very well balanced to give the lower to mid level players as much of a chance to last and get rewards as possible, without penalizing higher levels, who got to benefit from their greater skill point totals. Those who complain about being out before they could log on will probably find the next start time works better for them. The only suggestion I would make is perhaps there could be occasional stamina boosts that you could get, as battle drops or rewards for a kill. I had a blast with the arena and thought it was a great addition.

8. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

@ Parker, you were able to use a stamina boost or a refill or your daily reward :) I also do not think people were complaining about losing out on a kill , rather frustrated, I know I dumped Mega stamina into about 5 different players took them down and then when I the kill came it went to someone else, it was all in the timing but i clicked till my hand hurt so bad each time that I finally had to go into defense mode to let the pain subside lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  9. Eric

Eric Administrator

We will address the issue of inactive players in the arena hiding out, we have some optimizations we'll be doing to create better randomness in the fight lists.

@bigjohn -don't be discouraged about joining, if you meet the level requirement you have a chance of breaking into that top 20% for an award. Even if you don't reach that high of a rank the xp rewards in the arena are better then regular battles. One final note, there is some randomness in the fights so if you've built up a good attack/defense strength you may pull out some wins against some higher level players.

Closing this thread for the continued discussion at "Battle Arena Feedback"

http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthread.php?7550-Battle-Arena-Feedback

10. Eric

Eric Administrator

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread positive and constructive, alot of great feedback. We have a huge list of updates which we'll prioritize and consider for upcoming arenas. My responses follow (sorry if i missed anything, please let me know), feel free to continue discussion and ask questions.

@margaret - we did find an issue where people were killed and removed from the arena but their final health to 0 wasn't updated, this has since been fixed for the next arena. Glad you had fun!

@bethranderson - it doesn't matter what your ingame health is at when you join or start the arena, your arena start health takes the base value which we set and multiplies it by your max health value.

@niels - we've upped the start health and increased the health perk for bigger kill health rewards this should give everyone a longer arena experience. If you're getting attacked repeatedly try using the defensive stance, it will minimize the damage while the attacker burns through their stamina.

@dylan - nice to hear you had a great experience! Not sure we can just base stats off of skills points, keeping that item strength adds strategy and variability in the fight results. We've since increased the base health and upped the health perk to award greater health in kills, this should give everyone a longer arena experience.

@gracie - we'll work on exposing more stats to the players. Unfortunately we can't let people hide out in defensive mode, it will basically give inactive players a higher rank in the game vs players who are actually attacking and competing. The
    varying start time should help you out in future arenas. Keep the feedback/ideas coming if you have any others!

@linda - we will be fixing the defense button for the next arena so it's more clear to everyone to use. If you attack you will be given the option to disable it. The wait time to use it again is dependent on how high your defensive perk is.

@silence - showing the latest attacker is on the todo list along with optimizing how the feed refreshes, these should give everyone a better indication on recent attackers.

@jon
    -lag time has been fixed
    -we're working on some solutions to give players better insight into received attacks
    -the feed summary now shows on the lobby page
    -will look at adding an option in the profile similar to the reveal option which players can set to start in defense mode
    -there is now text which explains how long you must wait if you disable defense mode
    -we've increased the base health so that should give everyone playing some extra play time, how people get stamina in the game will not change.
    -will add the leader board idea to the list, will have to think about that one
    -yes we are planning on adding achievements in the future

@polish
    - i re-queried your stats and you finished 103, how would you have been able to know if you were in the top 100 for 10 minutes? We did have a bug which has since been fixed where the lobby page showed an incorrect players remaining value.
    -added the change character option to the dev list. For naming, each subsequent arena will ask you for a new nickname.
    -we'll be running a test where we exclude energy from the total skill calc so that should bump your perk levels up a bit.
    -the arena schedule should limit player participation, we were initially thinking once / week, once we fine tune the feature we'll have a better idea of the schedule.
    -lag issue has been fixed.

@wendah - skill points are set when you join the arena. Your player strengths (armed items, weapons etc.) are set once the arena begins. The jump you saw in players remaining was from a bug fix, the value we showed was not in sync with the actual number of players remaining in the arena, once fixed the correct value was shown.

@meandyou - removing dead players form the fight list, this will definitely be fixed!

@bubba
    - the lag issue has been fixed.
    -for the feed, an automatic refresh can be considered, we just have to make sure we don't obstruct the player if they are using to read through or attack others. To ensure system stability and efficiency there is a request throttle on feed refresh requests.
    -we kept the health hidden until attack to promote wider range attacking which will engage more players.
    -adding the killer to your feed is an interesting idea, will add the dev list for consideration
    -considering adding start in defensive mode as an option, some people are asking for it and really if you start in defensive mode and aren't at your computer you're still going to be attacked and eventually killed, if anything it will buy some people 5-10 minutes of reduced damage if they aren't able to be there at game start.
    -for battle drops and information while fighting we will have to add some functionality to the feed, will add this to the list for consideration.
    -this is a different battle mechanic then the regular battle in game, yes there is some randomness in attacks but if you have better skills (attack/defense) and item strength then your opponent, wins are in your favor. This is a very new feature and we are continuing to fine tune it.
    -achievements are planned for the future, we will take into consideration anonymity. Example, an achievement for 100 battle arena kills.
    -search is very basic at the moment, one idea in the queue is to be able to save attackers to your own save list for later attacks.
    -we'll be fixing the issue with inactive players hiding out in the next arena
    -there are no plans to limit attacks

11. meandyou

meandyou Banned

linda i was thinking that my self but i dont think people were that clever to go out and steal kills , but i may be wrong , wat it looked like to me that wen the game started it seems every one accross the globe got same fight list, the devs can confirm this if it right or wrong , as i dont know for sure , but that is wat it looked like for me i refreshed 3 times because i had fight list full of dead pirates , and the ones that i thought were stolen from me , were probable the same one others were attacking , wen i found a live one i stayed on them the defense mode did not make and difference as i had unlimited stamina , it rendered the defense mode worth less to the player but being the attacker with unlimited stamina it gave ahell of a lot more xp than i would have got in normal mode , this is the way i see it for the def mode to have any real impacted in the game then there has to be a stamina cap, and also wen the devs do their calculation , everything should be taken into account, i can see the ones that made it to the end with out fighting , was simple due to the fact they never came up on the random fight list they did not hide away it was the dead one that clogged up the fights wen i looked back at my result i was in for over 2 hr wen i thought only an hr had gone by , well it is true time flyes wen you having fun lol

12. The Protector

The Protector Banned

A suggestion to minimize "stolen kills" is when in defense mode and you click to attack a player,don't show that player's health.It seemed rather easy to click "Attack" to see someone's health while you were in defense mode,a simple click to disable defense and BAM,stolen kill.

13. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

Now see that is an interesting thought by Lord Breakfield. And i can agree 100 percent on that not showing players health if your in defensive mode. If your hiding because you do not have enough stamina to fight anyone then you should not be able to see the health of other players. I still do not know how so many did steal kills. I counted them off of me and it was almost 20 kills stolen. Get them down to the last 2 or 3 hits and then bam someone swoops in.

14. The Protector

The Protector Banned

I just said how kills can be stolen.Purposely go into defense mode,not to hide,but to size up the health.As you keep clicking "Attack",you're not dealing damage,but can see that player's health go down.Not that hard to time it.I'm surprised that oversight wasn't caught.

15. polishpimp

@Eric in regards to how I knew I was in the top 100 for 10 min or so. I knew I was going to be exiting the game soon (the #1 payer was pounding on me good). Im always in constant real time communication with multiple other players. My personal "player left counter" seemed to be lagging a little behind everyone elses... but everyone elses that were observing was counting down the same as each others, as i killed opponents....the counter for those watching for me reacted immediately (in real time). Knowing I was going to be killed soon I killed a couple more opponents to insure I was well into the top 100 (#97) to make sure i got the better rewards.

I was bummed at the time considering I went outta my way to get the better rewards...but when i consider what the rewards are for someone at my level it wasnt the end of the world .....but I think for a player at a lower level the diff in rewards could have been a pretty big deal.

excluding energy from the overall percentage in regards to percs will be great for those who level from adventures for those that dont it will pretty much be a wash. My issue is with stamina, yes it can be a benefit.....but its a completely different kind of benefit, it actually hurts me to have high stamina in the perc department, where as someone of a much lesser level has way less need for stam. At my level I need a lot stamina or my game would basically come to a standstill . someone before level 1850 can level for days on a quarter of what i have. If u want a good example....look and compare my perks in both my PC and VC accounts and tell me that stamina isnt killing me in the perk dept, please take total SP into consideration. But I still have to have it....at nearly 300k XP needed to level...you guys have pretty much dictated the need for me to allocate stamina at double the skill point cost. Basically.....I would much rather have to do what the lesser levels have to do and spend my FP in the arena to refill stam if need be ...and reap the full benefit of what ive done with Health, att, and def minus the imposed necessity for stam at my level.

16. polishpimp

I like the ability to steal the kill. Dont take me wrong...I had plenty stolen from me and said a few choice words every time it happened, but I still see it as a legitimate strategy. All thing are not equal nor should they be, we all have to play with what we have/earned and that makes us all do what we have to do to adapt...we all react diff and thats exactly what makes it interesting is the unpredictability of it all when you have hundreds of diff people playing. We all gotta do what we gotta do (as long as its legal). You can be smartest guy in the world with the best strategy.....but it doesnt insure success because u cant control "crap happens". Its half the fun.

17. meandyou

meandyou Banned

i think you missing the piont of the arena it is a new mini game within a game , and the devs have to do things to level the playing field, , if they did not then the result would be the same every time the strongest one will always win i play fb pirates , and i can stay on the list as long as wish to as no one can beat me ,so if the devs did not make the adjustment they have in the arena , i could just enter go into defense mode and just let all the players kill them selves trying to kill me, as there would be no contest and after a few games in there would be no players entering because they would now who the winnier would be thus end of areana as for players stealing kill well i dont thing that was planed by any one , that was simply down to every one getting the same fight list at the start i know because i stole a coupleand i never planed it that way it happened, because there were so many dead on the battle list that were not going away with the refreash and new pirates coming up that is how so many players made it through it was nothing to do with them being clever it was the fact that they never can up on the fight list

18. polishpimp

Pretty sure I have a pretty good grasp of the point of the battle arena. Granted...there must be some type/form of guidelines and limits...but the battle arena was conceived and implemented because players wanted something different than the regular game and mini games already in existence that are extremely restrictive. I believe its been stated many times that the arena is directed more so at battlers and the higher levels.

Playing just one time thus far I ve already thought of numerous strategies that could help fall the biggest and baddest of levels....are they a guaranteed success? Nope...nor should they be, that s half the fun to work together and overcome such seemingly insurmountable odds. If it were easy it would be boring and people would lose interest. With that said...Im sure many will lose interest anyway simply because it is difficult and they just dont have the "stuff" to take on such a daunting task, its what seperates the men from the boys.

As far as lurking...it may very well not have been planned....but Im pretty darn sure the devs knew it was a likely to happen. I wasnt playing more than just a couple minutes before I realized that stamina was at a premium and that it made perfect sense to allow others to blow there stamina for me and swoop in for the kill in an effort to accrue health. Its a partial strategies such as this that actually allows for the little guy to have a shot vs the behemoths out there. If you dont allow for creative thinking and overly limit or restrict a segment of the player population chances are your gonna end up with a blood bathe with the bigs feasting on the littles or your going to rob other players of all they earned and will lose all interest dooming the the update to failure.

As long as participation numbers stay up there will be a multitude of strategy that can be employed by the little guys as long as they play smart. The large range of ranking and corresponding rewards all but insures a diff placing every week which will offer hope and continued interest. As time goes on some of the little fish will eventually become the big fish and it will be them that is the barometer on which most others will measures their success

Players are already asking for feeds and things so they can see who stole what, personally I think thats a bad idea as it wll paint a target on a lower levels back who is trying to eke his way through. I like the anonymity of it all as it goes along way in helping the little guy and dosent rob anyone of the stats theyve earned.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  19. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Try it again.Maybe you won't get killed off so easily next time :).Valid points though,Pimp.

20. polishpimp

LOL. I actually did better than I thought I would all things considered.....I just went in guns blazing with no real goal in mind other than a lil research. i definately have learned a few things and will most likely give it another shot if I have the window of time available to me to see it all the way through. Unfortunately I might very well miss the one I would like to participate in the most in (VC) as i have a pretty busy week coming up. Maybe I'll enter anyways and see how long I go with out doing anything....lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.