[VC] World Chat Again!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craig Day, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Day

Craig Day Well-Known Member

I recently hit my home Page and saw a RED WARNING. UNUSUAL ACCOUNT ACTIVITY!!! Please click here for more info. Needless to say I darn near soiled my armor. (Believe me Chain Mail is very difficult to clean)
    Hi C Dog,

We recently noticed a couple of chat messages in which another player was mentioned by first name. We try to keep personal info out of the chat for privacy reasons, so we'd like to ask that you keep content like this out of the public chat in future.

Thanks for playing Viking Clan!
    Kano/Apps Support

Ok now what? I address my friends as Unknown Viking? No more clever nicknames? Or better yet C Dog darn near quit the game entirely because of stupid WC issues, lets really piss him off and warn him about using peoples 1st names. Well no more saying hi to Kai and Jade and Pappy and Randi and Pimp. Oh wait I can say hi to Pimp because thats not his real first name. But, why he is allowed to use Pimp is a whole different issue. (Please do not make him change his name though. That is not a complaint its pointing out hypocrisy).

Basically Oh Kano Thought Police with all the other issues going on you took the time to write code so we can be warned about using peoples 1st names???? Perhaps we should talk priorities. What I do think is her Royal Highness got in another snit and cried. Well as ye sow so shall ye reap. Guys this one surpasses silliness it crosses into the absurd.

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

Huh?? we cannot call people by their real names, , we cannot call them names, :cool: when it is very easy to see who they are with a copy paste back to FB , unless of course they are using a fake name, I usually call someone by their name , unless I don't know them. Yes this is silly, is Big brother playing Kano games now, this is just unreal,and so unimportant that you had to inform someone cause they called someone their name in chat, WC??

Craig Day likes this.
  3. Rodney Rangel

Rodney Rangel Active Member

thats stupid if i cant call vikings their real names in wc,,but how is that a rule now?? :mad:

Kirsten likes this.
  4. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

This is absurd, calling someone by 1st name is not personal info. Giving out their address on the other hand would be considered personal info.
    Craig you can still call me JADES it's not my real name it's Matt, and if anyone want's to call me Matt in world chat has my permission to do so.

ady4you, Snowtiger, John Luna and 3 others like this.
  5. Craig Day

Please call me Mr Dog.

6. Kirsten

Ok Craig :p

7. Old Salt

Old Salt Well-Known Member

So game name or real name or both? Just real name can't be mentioned? What if their game name is their real name? :confused:

John Luna likes this.
  8. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

While I agree that message is silly and probably not warranted under the circumstance (I'll be talking to Support about this) I can perhaps shed some more light behind what the message is getting at.

Some people are uncomfortable with their real names being used in game (game names are OK, so you don't have to refer to everyone as Unknown Viking). That's totally fine, as everyone has a right to privacy and we want people to feel safe playing our games. We're not keeping an eye on Chat watching out for any and all instances of real names being used; a person reported to us that their real name was being put in Chat and they didn't appreciate it. Support took subsequent steps that maybe we don't agree with, but the intention was good.

If you are fine with people using your personal name in Chat to refer to you, go nuts! But if you use someone's real name and they don't appreciate it and report it to us, we'll probably remove the message containing their name. On the other hand if you real name is part of your game name and you still don't like people calling you that, then the first name change is always free. :)

Apologies to Craig on this message and how Support handled it. Hopefully I have shed some more light on the situation. :)

Kirsten likes this.
  9. Kirsten

The point is also that your FB account cannot have a fake name, and you can have your FB account closed down for using a fake name, that being said, anyone can copy and paste a game link back to a fb , so that means anyone's name is out there for anyone to see. So to expect someone not to be called their name, is just plain silly and then to complain to support is beyond childish. Sometimes people need a grip on reality.

10. Kris Lee DUke

Kris Lee DUke Member

What a crapper.. I'm Banned from world chat again.. Same red warning that several folks in the game for various ridiculous reasons. Mine was a conversation from about a dang month ago. Joking about how I should have my identical twins" open accts and play em at the same time". Was just an off-the-cuff joke anyway. -- The message stating "WARNING! - "Your chat was disabled by an administrator for posts that encouraged other players of violating the Terms of Use,"! Etc. Complete misinterpretation. And yes, I ddi put in a ticket 2 full days ago. No action.

Lets talk "Big picture" here for a minute. Like it or not, these games are created by devs with the intent of folks buying UN in the game. (Why else would a dev build a game?) So many players "complain" that some players spend some UN in the game, but face it. These games would cease to exist and close the doors if 100% of the people played for free. Some players don't like others putting in some entertainment money, but really that is the $$$ that keeps the lights on and things running.

-- Now, the above said, I have seen Kano block folks for ridiculous reasons (my opinion), and most often, the $$$ paying folks! I do not think that folks who buy UN should get any more of a pass than folks who do not buy UN, but I would argue that KANO might want to use at least a bit of common sense and not block folks from chat, and the etc for such frivolous reasons! I have seen several $$$ playing players leave because of it. And now, strike #3 for me. I'm one foot out the door as well.

-- I have seen many top players quit, many of them partly because of such things. And to me personally, I have been blocked for 1) Saying the MF word in jest (Not aimed at anyone, was in a joking way). 2) Saying a movie quote "I'm motherlovin tired, of these mother lovin snakes, on this motherlovin plane!" I thought we were all adults here in the chatroom and could handle movie quotes! and finally, 3) A joke I say about someone running mult accts being taken as a suggestion that I am "encouraging" people to do so! Not true and completely misinterpreted by Kano. Treat me and others like garbage, we'll go elsewhere.

-- C, Take your Cuc-Koo Clock down, box it up, and send it to Kano HQ. The one that strikes on the hour, 27 times a day. :) Because quite frankly, them folks are literally shooting their own toes off...

Stoopid analogy time: It is like owning an apartment Complex in a bad economy (no new paying tenants coming in), and then you do unnecessary things that drive out the remainder of your paying tenants! {{{BONG}}} CUC-Koo!

So yeah, in conclusion, that was really a camel's back-breaker for me. I am over the hill with it now and will be playing alot less. Seems many are saying that lately, and I never thought I would be in the same camp as Cdog and some of the others who have made the same decision.

That is my piece on it... Not fussing (Or is it, lol), but either way, chat is a part of the game for me (alot more part of the game with the declining availability of targets on hitlist), and with random moderators banning me 1 month after making some random comment in a joking way, then the comfort level is gone, the fun is gone, and there you have it. It is what it is.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  11. Kris Lee DUke

Kris Lee DUke Member

PS. Sorry C for hijacking your thread a tad.

PSS. To respond to your note about what to call me.... Lets just call me "PimpDaddyViking" from now on please. :cool:

12. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

13. Kirsten

pfffffffft still silly

14. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

I know LOL, was just referencing Aardvark's comment on it.

Kirsten likes this.
  15. Kris Lee DUke

Kris Lee DUke Member

"""Trophies Awarded to Kris Lee DUke
    5 Awarded: 28 minutes ago
    Keeps Coming Back
    30 messages posted. You must like it here!"""
    --- The Irony, lol

16. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Maybe you could get chat admins to add their name to the auto filter, if it's such a big deal to that person.

Terror of The Scioto likes this.
  17. Kirsten

OMG ,why would anyone make such a big deal to actually send a ticket to support, sounds very odd to me and childish and paranoid,as if they were that important.

18. Snowtiger

Snowtiger Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what I was wondering! My game name is my real name, so does that mean I need to change my real name so people can address me in WC? :p Or should they just make up a fake name when talking to me?

19. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

I stay banned in WC as I stated something factually correct that Kano in the next day said in a support ticket was factually correct. Till their strategy materializes, it will remain factually correct.

And yes Mr Dog and I, we are pals now and we were calling each other by first names and no I did not report this but someone might have been in shock at the antagonists getting along. I can call him Mr Dog tho in memory of his pup and my regard for pups all over. But first names or even Mr Dog, that will have to be elsewhere.

20. Craig Day

And I sign in and I still have the Scarlet Letter on my Home Page!!!!!! Kano has once again done the impossible Kris (Please excuse my use of his first name) and I on the same page. Here is a point. I only know the 1st names of people who I know. I still refer to most by their Viking Name. Lets put this Dead Horse to rest. The same as my ever decreasing Game Play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.