[VC] Developer Update November 9th - Bounty List / Bounty Trap Bugfix

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kendall, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

For the majority this update will not be applicable, but there has existed a bug for some time now where a player on the bounty could encounter a bounty trap and die. Under some situations if the player healed before being attacked again they would remain on the hitlist, or if they are cleared off the bounty after hitting a bounty trap the reward to collect the bounty disappears.

Today's update fixes the following:

1. When a player is on the bounty list and hits a trap, they will be killed and removed from the bounty list
    2. When the player is removed from the bounty list through a trap, the player that paid for the bounty will be credited with the amount that would have been paid to the player that collected the bounty, original paid minus the bounty fee

2. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

well its not the end of the world...but im definitely not a fan of this update. Like u said..."For the majority this update will not be applicable", there are only a handful of players that are either quick and prepared enough to kill themselves on a trap or have an account strong enough to withstand all attacks long enough until they have the time to trip a trap if they wish. Basically once again those that excel at these games and strive to find the lil things that separates themselves from the masses r getting screwed again.

Although my account is one of the very few accounts that can withstand any amount of attacks and ride the list as long as i wish....Im not one of the players that actually use that particular strategy....in fact its mostly my biggest rivals that employ it. Its been a long standing strategy that takes either skill and or a lot of hardwork to be able to pull off on a regular basis, although im not particular fond of my rivals...i certainly have respect for the ones that can pull off something that most cant.

Some may ask whats the big deal...they can still die on a trap. For me the big deal is that the person who listed them is getting most their money back....I simply dont agree with that, If a player throws up the money to have a player killed....they're getting what they paid for regardless of whether someone took them down or they committed suicide. They should lose every last dime! Who cares if the $ goes to no one....its not like someone killed them or as if they had the money prior.

Secondly....Once again its just saying that the person on bounty has done something wrong ....when in all reality we all know players get thrown up all the time for doing absolutely nothing wrong. So whats gonna happen now? The player that can actually pull off a suicide is going to get listed that many more times....the lister is going to get his intended resullt repeatedly but for far less money out of their pocket/ That just isnt right.

There is no doubt in my mind that i probably stand to benefit from this update more than just about anybody....and I will because its going to be a legit way of playing...and anybody that knows me knows.....if its not illegal and it will benefit my game....im gonna do it, "EVERY TOOL IN THE TOOL BOX" !

So does the player who committed suicide still have his bounty price upped? Should they? after all.....it wasnt a successful bounty and the player who listed them got their money back. Just wondering

It may have been a "bug" but sometimes the bugs seem to be better than the fixes....lol

3. think about this

someone places a hit on someone

that someone decides to kill themself

the bounty money never leaves the someone that placed the hit

the fee itself in SOME cases would be gone(depends how you placed the hit)

but the prize itself would remain with the one that placed the hit because no one claimed the hit

so if someone kills themself instead of just being taken off list

thats there choice but something says strategies will now change

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  4. polishpimp

"the fee itself in SOME cases would be gone(depends how you placed the hit)". Is there different ways to place a hit?

It is what it is....updates rarely get changed back. All i know is...rivals that I know like to commit suicide are gonna b getting killed much more often for much less or they're gonna get killed by the player i wanted to kill them in the first place. A win win for me...some how I'll get over it....lol

5. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

This is one of the changes where we tried to satisfy all parties part way.

If you pay a price to put an open hit on someone, but that someone is strong enough to bounty others while on the bounty list then they likely also have a higher price on their head so there was a ton of coins being left on the table and evaporating in the VC economy. It made the most sense to us since no one collected that the one that originally paid would get credited with the coins minus the bounty fee.

6. Mike Ketil

Mike Ketil Member

Well said Polish.
    DEVs you've just brought in another stupid idea to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place, trying to appease a few cry babies.
    I've built up my viking to be strong enough to ride the bounty, I've chosen what weapons I want, and where to put my skill points precisely so that I get the rewards for being strong. If someone places a bounty on me and I am strong enough to ride and then choose to hit a trap I'm still dying so the kill has been paid for. No one has claimed the bounty, true, but who has that affected? This must be a major problem because on facebook VC it affects ME and maybe one other player. So obviously it was something you really needed to do something about. It really is a joke what you have time to look at and anything that really does need sorting out .. your response is "we'll add it to our list."
    Would it be easier if you just concentrated on the artwork and let the few players that control you make up the rules for the game. I know that's whats happening now but it would cut out you middle men in the future. LMAO

7. polishpimp

Does "a ton of coins left on the table and evaporating in the VC economy" somehow adversely affect the game? Im not sure how it could. I have over 5 quadrillion coins sitting in the bank that I dont touch and I see no need to ever have to. These coins dont gain interest and will most likely never be spent....so they dont have any impact on the "VC economy"

"Trying to satisfy all parties" is precisely the problem in this particular update as well as countless others. You said yourself that this update wont apply to the majority of players. But in all reality ...what u said should have been it will only apply negatively to a minority of players. which in this case is the exceptionally strong accounts. This update potentially benefits every other player in the game financially as they stand to get their desired result for a fraction of the price.

Im having a really hard time understanding exactly what it is that players are suppose to be striving for.... the entire game is set up into different categories ...each of which is ranked. The more u spend ...the more time u devote and the harder u work makes a player more powerful as they climb the ranks, but then all the limits or "updates" start kicking in. In this particular case...once u reach a certain status that allows u to withstand all comers on the bounty page... the benefits have now been stripped away in order to benefit everyone else. This is in addition to already not getting XP while riding the list yet those attacking the person on bounty do get XP. That makes absolutely no sense!

Another example is bounty hunting ....once a player builds his account to be an exceptional bounty hunter......all of a sudden they start getting a delay which increases with the number of bounties they catch and is magnified by their level. Basically this is penalizing a player for excelling at bounty hunting and having a more powerful account.

How about the more powerful accounts being limited as to the damage they do on lower leveled accounts. For example....If i at level 5k do 3000 damage on level 4000.....how does it make sense that i can only do 50 damage on a level 400? I should be destroying those accounts. Lets not forget....the lower levels already have the advantage of me not being able to hit them unless they hit me first. If they choose to ignore the warnings and open themselves up to me.....Then they should be able to feel the full impact of what my account can do....otherwise whats the point of continuing to strengthen my account?

You folks at Kano have always been concerned with protecting the lower levels from the higher levels that can potentially "bully" them so u have set limits as to who we can hit in regards to level and how much damage we can actually do to them once they ignore the warnings and attack us anyways. I think the way its currently set up is actually counter productive. First of all....I dont think anyone regardless of their level can be considered a "bully" if they go after any player regardless of their level if they ignored the warnings and went after the higher leveled players bounty. The lame excuse of "i just wanted your coin" is ridiculous. The only way to get that coin is to have killed me....so if u attacked me on bounty regardless of your level...then your intent was to kill me. If anything screams rightful retaliation....THATS IT! Lets say I go up on bounty and get a page full of rivals ranging from level 50 to 5000.....with the power of my account i will kill off almost immediately all but the lower end of that range essentially taking them off my rival page...but the rest due to their low level and the damage limits imposed on me ...I cant kill these lower levels which keeps them on my rival page for the full 24 hrs. So why should the lower levels heed the warnings? The potential benefit of getting lucky and taking my bounty far outweigh the risk.....yet I get labeled a "bully" for retaliating. If the lower levels felt the full brunt of my strength it would be over and done with in a second. It seems to me that this would serve to let them know in no uncertain terms that they should think twice about going for me and also go a long way in ridding the "bully" effect

In the end whats the point of continuing to spend money and work hard to grow a players account when the reality is that the higher in level or the more powerful u become it actually starts working against u? It seems to me that we should be reaping the benefits of this not being adversely affected because of it. Why dont u just tell the players that the more they spend and the harder they work will actually start to work against them at some point.

As far as this particular "bug" goes....it was having an extremely minimal effect on the game whether positively or negatively, The well intended "fix" is just gonna strip that much more away from those who have shown the most dedication to the game. After all......the intended result of the player who set the bounty is going to be achieved regardless...who cares that the money vanished? We should be applauding the players whos dedication and efforts have allowed them the ability to "stick it" to the player that listed them. It gives us all something to keep striving for even at the higher levels.

Couldnt have things been simplified and made more fair if u would just have made/kept it so the player on bounty could not die on a trap while on bounty?... Then the money put up would not "vanish", the player who did the listing would get their intended effect and the player on bounty would get to reap some of the benefits which their dedication to the game should allow for. In the end....its a win win for all...... not a penalty on just your most dedicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  8. Mike Ketil

Mike Ketil Member

Do you think they will listen and correct all that Polish? I have my doubts LOL

9. polishpimp

LOL....we can always hope. I just dont get it...They are essentially saying its a bad thing to be able to ride the list.

10. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

11. polishpimp

TY....this should prove to be interesting.....lol

12. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

i dont like it, i was just recently able to do this myself, list someone that listed me while avoiding his bounty trap, and its quite an accomplished feeling. how many others will never get to feel that because of this "fix"? not cool at all kano

13. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Like I said in my post above, we have reverted the recent change of refunding back the payee the original amount minus the fee to gather more input from the community. As always, we listen to feedback and as long as we can understand the concern and feel that it is justifable we can usually arrive at a situation that works for everyone.

14. Himself

Himself New Member

What means a bounty? A player pays some money ONLY for the player who kills the target! Don't forget that! No kill, no money payed, it makes sense.
    And for example, what do you think of this approach: player1 fights with player2. At some point, player1 puts a bounty trap on player2 and then bounty him. Player2 while is on bounty, try to bounty player1 and is killed. In this case you want to say player1 should lose both the money for bounty trap and for the bounty even if nobody killed player2?
    If KANO will listen, i have a proposal to change this bounty trap thing ideea, and make the game more fair and fun:
    If a player is placed in bounty, and in the same time that player try to bounty another player and is killed in a bounty trap, the kill is valid but the player remains in the bounty list (automate healing) having a 2 secconds of delay if he try to bounty the same player again.

In other words, i propose autohealing for bounty trap. And we have 2 cases:
    1. if a player is killed in a bounty trap while he is listed (placed in bounty), automate healing should occure for him and triggered a 2 secconds delay for trying to bounty the same player again.
    2. If a player is killed in a bounty trap normally (without being listed), autohealing should occur after 30 secconds if he doesn't heal meanwhile. This way a stupid behavior of some players is eliminated : bounty trap kill themselves and go offline.

What do you think?

15. BLACKDETH

BLACKDETH Member

If I understand this correctly:

KANO introduced a change.
    Mike didn't like the change.
    KANO, once again, reverted the change.
    Mike can now continue to wash dishes, catch the footy on the telly, or go for a kebab while on the list.
    Nothing has changed.

16. Mike Ketil

Mike Ketil Member

No you haven't understood it correctly Jeff, but that's no surprise. Dying on a trap has nothing to do with the length of time you can ride the bounty, I can do that because I've have high health, or do you wish to now dictate where people place their skill points.
    Also if you read, it's not just me, there are many people on here that can see the error of these changes and that there's no reason for them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  17. stoef

stoef New Member

Bounty's uncollected due to a player hitting a trap is a huge problem.

For example, I'm thousands of levels lower than a player who slaps me on the hour, every hour, I have no means of defending myself. I can make a statement by slapping back or posting a bounty on the player. However, if my listing goes uncollected, and funds are still deducted from account, then the collection reward cannot be spread through the vc community that happen to be hunting at that time. When this occurs, where is the motivation to list a player? What did I pay for? Where did the coin go? Sure said player died, but on their terms and with out the bounty I saved for and shelled out being collected by possibly one of my guild mates or clan - part of the fun and allure to the bounty process.

This loophole threatens the entire point of a bounty list. TO COLLECT BOUNTIES. Otherwise eliminate the collection feature of the bounty list and let us just pay to have a player automatically killed via bounty... no collection... one time payment. Fun? Not to me, and that is what is happening.

If you want to allow players to test their strength while on the bounty list, part of the fun and challenge for some I agree, and at the same time allow them to beat the system by means of suicide, then so be it, but perhaps, in those instances, that specific listing and all of it's consequences, i.e. the bounty, bounty increase due to bounty, should be nullified and returned to original state.

Maybe another solution would be a time limit on the list. If the player listed is strong enough to outlast the
    onslaught of players trying to collect, within a time frame, then listed player wins, no kill, no exp. lost, bounty reverts back to original cost at the time of bounty, does not increase, and the player who posted the bounty still loses the coin. Maybe that would be the only fair way to lose the coin, at the same time not penalize players who can withstand.

Bounties for many are major part of the game, the current loophole is jeopardizing this major part of the game.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  18. stoef

stoef New Member

Simply put, if no bounty is collected then why does the player's bounty reflect an increase?
    After the trap, the bounty process was nullified so the only reflected stat should be that of the trap itself, lost exp. and a death count stat. Bounty prices reverts to pre listing and bounty coin returned to player posting the bounty.

19. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

The reversion means, you die on a bounty trap while you are listed, the money goes to no one. The person who paid for the trap, is out of pocket. The person who paid for the listing is "out of pocket" but accomplished what they wanted: the person dead. But is that really all they wanted? I usually want someone to a) get killed, b) someone to get the coin that I have "earned" in the game. b) does not happen and in fact, someone else is out coins they have earned on a trap that becomes more like a pill. In game terms, the person listed dies on the bounty and also dies on the bounty trap. They die in effect twice in game moves yet only lose XP once for the death causing action. At minimum, they should have two deaths recorded, and two losses of XP (my stats would show a listing, someone else a trap, yet their stats would show only 1 death). When you are listed, you should not be able to die on a trap. Period. If you can get it done quick enough on the person listing you, great. If you are on the list, no trap escape.

In my opinion, you should also not be able to heal. The listers' money is up for grabs. The target gets rivals, no matter who they are, who have a legit shot at their bounty, no matter how big or small they are. In FB and MS, there are friendly take downs of the top players, that set up a money transfer that folks say is so wrong. The game needs a tweak here, as stoef here indicates as do others.

I think the poll taken on this issue, was a red herring re a refund of your bounty trap.

20. stoef

stoef New Member

another point that could be made is, when you are in battle with a player, and the player you are in battle with is put on the bounty list, at that point you are told something to the effect of, "player is currently on the bounty list and cannot be attacked" Therefor, if the player cannot be attacked and is removed from the general vc arena because they are on the bounty list, then the listed player should also lose their ability to do anything outside of the bounty list but heal.