[PC] TGIF! This Week in Dev and Community June 16 - 20

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mi7ch, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

TGIF! What happened this past week in Dev and Community?

Player Bans June 7 - June 13

As a reminder, the following numbers are permanently frozen accounts, and don't count temporary freezes.

FB: 23

The majority of permanently frozen accounts are frozen for being a shared or alternate account. This is something we actively investigate, and we appreciate players reporting suspicious accounts to us.

If you have any questions or comments about a frozen account, please direct them through Support as the Forums are not the place to discuss account freezes, because of the sensitive account information involved.

New Limited Items!

A new week means new Limited Items! Here’s what’s up for grabs:

[​IMG]

New Achievements!

New achievements were released today in Pirate Clan. Take a gander at the list below to see what you can earn!

Gamer Points - 18,840,000, 20,840,000, 22,840,000
    Hardest Pistol Whip - 10,000 11,500
    See Ya to Davy Jones (Bounty Clan Leaders) - 800
    Me Cutthroat (Consecutive Battles wins) - 2,500
    Me Survived (Survive consecutive Battles) - 20,000
    Me Counter Attacked (Successful Counter Attacks) - 2,000

Support Report with your favorite burrowing nocturnal mammal and Answerpreneur, Aardvark!

Happy Friday players!

We've been getting some messages from people who are frustrated with the way we've been handling some other player's accounts, so I thought I'd talk a bit about our processes and hopefully provide some transparency.

Essentially, the role of Support is to help players have the best experience they can by handling reports of possible problems, providing information. We do this with the goal of maintaining the long-term health of the game and player community. This means our focus is on helping people through problems, rather than on dispensing retribution for issues or Terms of Use violations.

Yes, we do apply penalties to accounts when we have found strong indications of rule-breaking. This is because the rules are there to benefit everyone and we believe it's important that there be clear consequences if a someone has chosen to break those rules.

However what those penalties might be can vary widely depending on the circumstances, and much of the time those penalties are not permanent. This is because we believe that while a lot of people act like buttheads from time to time, most are not inherently harmful and are willing to try not repeat their mistakes. We would much rather try to work with players to help them have a positive influence then banish them for having a negative one.

Not to say players are never banned, but actually putting an account down is something we try to leave as a last resort.

We do have a lovely selection of other penalties that are more frequently used, including temporary suspensions, suspensions from specific game features, and removal/replacement of inappropriate content. I have also petitioned for the development of some kind of lemony spray collar but they seem rather dubious about the idea.

The decision to apply a penalty is made only if an investigation by Kano/Apps staff has revealed strong evidence that the Terms of Use have been broken and the types of penalty applied can vary depending on a variety of factors including:
    • past history with player
    • type of issue
    • severity of issue
    Penalties are not applied only because of reports alone, and the number of reports about a particular incident does not change the type of penalty applied.

Finally, we understand that we are not omniscient beings, and are often willing to take another look at players' cases if new information becomes available. If you feel a penalty was applied to your account unfairly, you can contact support with any information you feel might be helpful and we will take another look.

Cheers,

Aardvark
    who is annoyed that the pants she is wearing feel slightly too tight :mad:

Terrible Joke of the Week

Here's your lame joke of the week!

What's a lawyer's favorite food?
    Sue-shi!
    Reveal for hilarity!

That's it for TGIF this week, everybody! Thanks for reading, and have an excellent weekend!

Play Now!

Facebook Canvas: https://apps.facebook.com/pirateclan/?fb_source=appcenter&fb_appcenter=1
    Facebook Connect: http://www.kanoplay.com/pirateclan?game_server=server_1
    Kano Play Server 2: http://www.kanoplay.com/pirateclan?game_server=server_2
    Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/kanoapps/pirate-clan
    Armor Games: http://armorgames.com/pirate-clan-game/15877

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    George Burd likes this.
  2. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

Spare me

3. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Amen, sister.

Kirsten likes this.
  4. Kirsten

Those who cheat and use bots/scripts/autoclickers , two computers, gaming mice, ( yeah I know they are legit,whatever)are now free to play out in the open,can even say it outloud in groups,they have won a hollow victory,I see these games going down in flames and the cheaters will eventually have to out cheat each other,won't that be exciting . ughhhhhho_O

5. Debra Otter

Debra Otter Member

Uggg! Dear Kano while I understand removing an acct is the last resort. I do get darn tired of those who stay just in side the lines. Make it so those of us who do play fair want to just leave.

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Orycteropus Afer

Hi guys. I wrote up the Support Report to help give some transparency about the different kinds of penalties that can be applied to accounts, it's not an announcement of some new bolt-hole we've constructed.

As always, there are exceptions and some issues are dealt with more strictly than others, but trying to work with a players to change their behavior before kicking them out is not some new radical thing we are doing - this has always been our philosophy.

As far as cheating is concerned, NO it's not permitted, and YES we take it seriously. Addressing play systems that are unfair to other players is something we have been focused closely on over the past few months and I can say with absolute confidence that we are currently better than we ever have been at detecting and preventing these issues, and that we are taking more action against more players for this kind of thing than we ever have before.

We are also far from being finished- we understand that these kinds of issues are a something that require constant maintenance and improvement and will continue to work to get better.

If you guys are interested in helping, you can do so by tipping us off to new tools you come across, or by providing feedback about the types of things you see in the games you find frustrating and suggestions for improvements. While the pace of change can be slow (sorry! We find it frustrating too!), our games are meant to change and grow with our players' needs.

7. Kirsten

hmmm hit alittle to close to home lol

8. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Nope, I just feel that continuing to purposefully misconstrue Aardvark's explanations doesn't help anyone. :)

9. Kirsten

yeah uh huh , :cool: :p Maybe if ya took a poll how people actually view the situation,, it is the talk of the town after all, ya might be surprised , just sayin :)

10. George Burd

George Burd Well-Known Member

ok where to start... i dont have a gaming mouse like a lot of people but i can go buy one, so thats not really outside tos. what i would like too see is kano tell alt accounters "we see you want a new account so we deleted the old one you know that lvl 7000 you dont like anymore" shared accounts ? "ok mr einstein you give us 49% of all net profits on your teleporter that let you travel from iowa to england in 3 hrs and we will leave your account active" heck how bout we quit banning altogether get interesting kano get caught leveling with yourself now you have 2 accounts that cant whip hit or bounty anyone but themself

get caught using a auto clicker bot thing hmmm this is too easy your account now has math for every action you can make for the next um 10,000 clicks get caught again 100,000 and so on and so on hahahaha insert sadistic laugh

you couldnt hold your tounge in chat and said bad bad words ...your name is changed to fluffy bunny slippers and any time you try and chat it is a canned message im a little tea pot short and stout here is my handle here is my spout

if i missed anything else heres a good one tha all can enjoy change the activity of the account so davy jones can bounty them but if he does they have 1 health so a lvl 1 could kill a lvl 18000 and win oh 25trillion

take away their ability to see their rivals and hit back oo thats a sick one huh lol their income becomes 0 and their bounty is 1 gold or their clan has become mutinous all left them and took their weapons and ships with them hahahaah

in all seriousness im a pirate and i know your gunning for me and prepared (counterattack) i think there should be a good chance i kill you on that first shot in orher words i think a lot of your bullying would stop if there was a 50% chance to die when you hit a counter but i would also say counters be reduced to 10 max in that respect as well

another bully stop idea bounty trap is not a single use its a time related trap trap lasts against a person for 8 hrs whether they try 1 time or 100 again traps quantity would have to be reduced to say 5 or so

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  11. Kirsten

FB /PC has 75 counters because of cagematching :( :( which they cannot get rid of now because of achievements ,blah blah blah, the other games all have 10 counters max once you hit a certain level ,( no caging in those games ,thank goodness) the amount you can set reduce little by little as you level till they get to the 10 max limit, as far as setting them I find the 10 counter limit is fun cause you can quickly go thru them before they set them and ya can just count as you do it, it keeps better track,and if they continue to set them ,then I just list them lol:p

12. TabithaMoon

TabithaMoon Active Member

I believe when a person is caught with multiple accounts, they should lose all accounts. What incentive is there if they can still keep their primary account? They'll just make new fake accounts.

And I'm tired of being told "report it to Facebook." Facebook no longer has an option to report multiple accounts. You can no longer send them links to suspected or obvious multiple accounts. You can only report an account for being fake, which Facebook will reject if the person is thorough enough to make it look real. Why can't KANO help us and report those multiple accounts to Facebook? As a company with a business relationship with Facebook, you can contact them a lot better than we can.

Again, though, why do you let a person's primary account stay when you clearly see they are creating multiple accounts? What kind of punishment is that?

PS: I don't believe anyone was misconstruing Aardvark's explanations. It's doubt in your claims to care about cheaters that is being expressed here because we all see people lose their accounts for cheating only to get them back within days. You say you want to give them an opportunity to change but what you're really doing, though unintentionally, is providing them information on what they need to do to better hide their tracks.

A year ago, I provided screenshots of a conversation with someone admitting to signing into the accounts of their armada members to get dailies. I know screenshots can be altered, but it wouldn't have taken much for KANO to monitor the accounts I provided to find out for yourself. Nothing was ever done and the person is still doing it. Because of this, others have begun to do it because they know KANO won't do anything about it.

These things are why people are losing faith in KANO's claims to care about cheaters. The numbers look great at the top when you list how many bans occurred in a week. Why not put up the number of banned accounts that were reinstated?

ben and Kirsten like this.
  13. Kirsten

Amen sister Amen.

TabithaMoon likes this.
  14. George Burd

George Burd Well-Known Member

This probably falls under low severity, why were they logging in others accounts? why should people be punished for having a real life and unable to get gamers sometimes? you get vacation/sickdays at work why not a weeks "paid" vacation here.... first 7 days you miss you and armada get gamer points

15. Kirsten

because that is sharing accounts and Kano says it over and over in the TGIF, most bans happen for sharing accounts, some one doing the DGP's for others in their armada ,for gamer points or just to win that stupid trophy is about as lame as you can get, kinda like but not against the TOS , removing someone for a day to win the trophy and then returning them to the armada/guild/what have you and asking the members to give their FB passwords to accomplish this is sharing accounts

16. TabithaMoon

TabithaMoon Active Member

When a leader of an armada threatens or intimidates their members into handing over log in information, it's gone too far. Again, this was a year ago so please, don't try to guess the players or armada. My point with this part of my comment was that it's a violation and I turned in an actual conversation in which the person admitted doing it and another conversation in which a member was telling me how it made them feel. Nothing was done. That was my point.

On a personal note, I think if someone lets another person intimidate them in a game so much they hand over their personal information, they have bigger problems.

Kirsten likes this.
  17. ben

ben Active Member

a cheater is a cheater that all there is to it ... main acct will just keep making more as they need them ... until kano wakes up and start taking care of the problem at the main acct that make them over and over in the game its all ways going to be a big problem ... i dont see where kano is making any progress at all when they don't band the main accts that make them ... :(

Kirsten likes this.