[LCN] Mob Wars: LCN May 2015 GearJam Contest!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mi7ch, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Have some great visual design ideas for a sweet new game item? Let’s see what you’ve got!

From now until Sunday, May 24th, submit your item concepts to this thread by commenting below. The Kano Creative Team will pick their favourite based on how well it meets the submission criteria, as well as how fun and interesting it would be to make.

The winner will see their entry added into the game as a powerful Limited Quantity item, get a free one for their inventory, and receive a package of 50 Favor Points!

Submission criteria are below. Please read them carefully, as the rules have changed since the last contest!

Entries that follow the criteria carefully will have a much better shot at winning. Entries that ignore the criteria will be disqualified and may even be removed from the thread.

SUBMISSION CRITERIA

This is a visual design contest! What we want from you is the kind of information we would include in the work order that is given to our illustrator when we need an image created.

Item creation is a technical as well as a creative process. The idea is to give the artist clear and descriptive information about what the item should look like, without them having to pore over a novel’s worth of text.

Your submission MUST include:
    • A name for your item that is under 25 characters long.
    • The type of item (Weapon, Vehicle or Armor)
    • A description of the item’s appearance that is under 400 characters long.
    The most important part of your submission is the description. Remember, you have limited space and the illustrator is first and foremost concerned with key visual elements. Think about how you can best specify the shapes, colors, and textures of the image you have in mind.

OTHER RULES

Stick to one single item submission per post, please! You can post more than once if you wish, but please don’t spam the thread or your entries may be removed.

In the past, we’ve allowed participants to include images with their entries. Not this time! We’re looking for interesting concepts straight from your own imagination, so you’re going to have to do this one without visual aids. Entries that include pictures will be disqualified.

Keep the game’s theme in mind! While we do make some exceptions, don’t be surprised if submissions of giant alien robots don’t gain a lot of traction with our illustrators when they’re looking to make gear for swashbuckling pirates.

EXAMPLE SUBMISSION

Name: Narwhal Lance
    Type: Weapon
    Description: A long weapon resembling the jousting lances used in tournaments in the Middle Ages. The pointed shaft is made from a narwhal tusk, a long twisting tooth resembling a unicorn horn, that widens into a bell-shaped guard. The grip is plain and unadorned. The entire weapon is made of the same material, an aged ivory, which is smooth but not glossy, and appears to have some brown discoloration in the cracks and grooves.

2. 51451

51451 New Member

Bloody Hockey Mask - Armor (300/300)
    This Bloody Hockey Mask is the symbol of toughness, that every mobster needs to fight and scare hostiles.
    (I think it's a good idea because of the World Championships that are taking place in Prague and Ostrava right now)

3. SwiftlyInnocent

SwiftlyInnocent Active Member

Due to the fact you came out with the slicer class I think it would be neat to add hand to hand combat weapons to the game, obviously you have a great deal of these types of weapons but adding more doesn't hurt
    Set Name: Praise the Lord for I have Sinned
    Name: A Crossful of Barbwire (375/225)
    Game: Mob Wars
    Type: Weapon hand to hand combat
    Description: So picture yourself holding a grey steel cross in your hand to symbolize your forgiveness or you sins you have committed in your life time, all the people you have killed and all the dirty and corrupt work you have done in your life time. Now picture on the long end of the cross not where the ends intersect but the opposite you have implanted a set of brass knuckles into the end to use as a handle, on those brass knuckles you have also placed a spike on each knuckle which is covered at tips in blood due to tremendous amount of times you have punched someone. At the very end of the long end of the cross taken 4 to 6 pieces of barbed wire and melted it into the cross therefore it stayed and then braided the pieces together to make a whip. If someone disobeys you just whip them with it which will cause much more damage to their flesh then a normal whip would, but hey your a mobster if someone disobeys you, you have to teach them a lesson you can't let people go thinking you are weak. Therefore from numerous amounts of whipping done as you hold the whip blood is dripping off it.

(Suggestion: You could also engrave the word sinful into the cross in black letters therefore symbolizing that you are a sin to the world)

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. aaron row

aaron row New Member

Name: Exploding Prince Albert
    Type: Weapon
    Description: This is a gold colored ring designed to loop through the tip of the urethra beneath the glans. This particular ring has a small explosive round in the middle of the loop, a small ball. This ball contains a small yet powerful explosive charge. While not delivering a death blow the damage is still significant.

Horseonajetpilot and Hoongum like this.
  5. robbin gordon

robbin gordon Well-Known Member

yeah..... why bother fixing the #'s on the LOYALTY items.... when you can create an item for kano ( who have alot of graphic designers ), and shift the topic from what needs fixing, to what doesn't need creating.

<shaking her head, and wondering where kano's thoughts are when it comes to fair play and parity>

SweetestAngel likes this.
  6. graveyardgabby

graveyardgabby Active Member

Bloody Straight Razor - Weapon

Vintage straight razor with a pearl or perhaps tortoise shell handle, gleaming sharp blade, dripping blood. I always think of this as a classic mobster weapon but, could easily be used as part of a barber shop set. I would set this up as a defensive item since it would be more of a hold out weapon as opposed to something a mobster might use as a primary means of attack. Could go attack if part of a barber set considering an assassin could disguise him self as a barber and slit the throat of a mob boss coming in for a shave.

7. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Because the artists, myself and Aardvark enjoy putting on these contests as it gives people who are interested a chance to contribute something to the games? None of us are directly involved with the numbers on the Loyalty items or any development, so this contest does not pull any resources away from that.

This is fairly divorced from the Loyalty item numbers, which I understand you are unhappy with. The developers have been made aware of this fact. The "GearJam" is just a fun way to get some creative juices flowing and get an interesting item out of it at the end which we might not have made otherwise. Putting on this contest does not delay or preempt any possible changes to Loyalty items or any other aspect of the game.

8. robbin gordon

robbin gordon Well-Known Member

ahhhhh Mitch.... i am not mad at you. you try your best, i know this.... you're just the one who is forward, so you get the grief.

my frustration level is just thru the roof.... as someone said to me earlier, it's like banging your head against the wall trying to get kano to support its players : the ones who play the game, the ones who support this site, the ones who know when an injustice is being done.

Jess likes this.
  9. The Trained Kano-Roo
    Weapon (animal)
    A 6'6" tall kangaroo wearing red boxing gloves and black and gold striped boxer shorts, ready to KO anyone on the fight feed! He is wearing a gold championship belt emblazoned with the letter "K". Of course, he is an upgrade from the Damn Dirty Ape, and as such, will have more attack and defense.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    SwiftlyInnocent likes this.
  10. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

I hope you didn't read any sort of short tone in my post, that definitely was not my intent! :)

I understand the frustration and as always I do what I can for you folks. I just didn't want the GearJam to get off track right when it's getting started. :)

11. SwiftlyInnocent

I like this whole barber set idea thats smart but yeah your making your razor either sound like a shank or a defensive weapon which it could be used as both. like I said barber set idea is good...Maybe they will make my idea a preacher from hell set o_O

12. SwiftlyInnocent

This makes me wanna watch kangaroo jack or joey :D

13. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Just to clarify the rules, it states that no images should be used in your post. :)

14. Aapje

Aapje Well-Known Member

Name: Mi7ch's Turtle
    Type: Armor
    Motivation: A turtle with the face of a man: Mi7ch. Mi7ch has to have a thick skin to survive in this forum & people like to beat up on him in the game. So his shell can survive immense attacks.

Design/description: The basic design is a turtle with a human face. It would be clip-art style, with a reddish/brown shell with clearly defined segments & green skin. Mi7ch's name would be on a white sign on top of the shell. The face would preferably be a caricature of Mi7ch, exaggerating his facial features.

Jess, The Navigator and Bite Me Yes like this.
  15. graveyardgabby

well it's a cqb weapon at any rate and sure could be used as a primary means of attack but, i think of it as a hidden pocket weapon pulled out as a last resort or like i said a disguesed assassins tool. priest is also in my mind a classic assassin disguise. maybe your set would use a pope mobile lol and cardinal's cloak or something. nice idea at any rate. plenty for them to work with. have no clue about a barber vehicle. guess they'd have to use the barber's "electric" chair as my vehicle :p

16. SwiftlyInnocent

Hmm I am not hundred percent sure what your vehicle would be barber chair makes the most sense.

17. SwiftlyInnocent

Hey Mitch is it possible to make a complete set on here? that way we give you ideas to involve our ideas into a set if one of them gets picked? or would that be considered spamming the thread? dont wanna limit my chances of winning

18. Billy Franklin

Billy Franklin New Member

Name: The Godfathers Wife
    Type: Armor
    Description: A dolled up woman in spike heels with a feathered hat wielding twin machine guns. This girl has your back!

19. graveyardgabby

Last one - your fault for announcing a new location - moon base

Machine Gun Moon Buggy - Vehicle

I wouldn't base this design on the lunar rover from the Apollo missions. It was just too basic and had no body. Instead, I'd build a more armored, modern vehicle but still keep it an open vehicle (not totally enclosed), truck like, with over sized, spiked tires, pintle mounted machine gun, and a very high suspension. Has to be spacy so, give it a cockpit like windshield that is kind of symmetrical to the bottom of the front end where it meets up. Probably not explaining this well. Again your fault since you don't want pictures :p Paint scheme maybe white and gold.

I think this would be very easy to make into a full set of gear with a space suit and ray gun but, maybe your new moon base boss will have these type of items and you won't want to use this idea. Anyway, that's it from me. Good luck everyone :)

SwiftlyInnocent likes this.
  20. Blue Nose

Blue Nose Active Member

Name: The Ice Cream Van
    Type: Vehicle
    Description: Raise hell while looking inconspicuous driving around in your ice cream van. There's plenty of freezer space for those dismembered body parts.

The Navigator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.