[All] Merging MS and FB Kano Games, Level for Level, with Virtual Friends

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Kel the Merciful King, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

I think its imperative now that MySpace has announced its removal of games as an offering on that platform that Kano consider all options including bringing MS Kano games characters to Facebook as an option to those MS Players.

The biggest issue as I see it, in most of these games, is 'clan.' Level for level, in most ways, the characters built are similar or slightly stronger (my belief) in MS but by moving those accounts to FB, those accounts will lack immediately the clan / mob / matey's to allow full play. They may have 2000 chiefs for example in MS but would only have 1000 hired chiefs in FB on transfer (or 1001: you!).

So my idea is to add virtual friends to these accounts in lieu of FB friends to start with and transfer MS characters level for level, clan for clan, to the respective FB game. The virtual friends would allow the full use of armaments etc until real FB friends can replace those virtual friends. As a real FB friend is added to "clan" "mob" etc, one virtual friend would be removed, until all virtual friends are dropped. Once virtual friends are dropped, they cannot be recreated (important!).

A positive effect of the race to replace virtual friends with real FB friends, is that the relative advantage I believe that exists level for level would diminish the longer it took to replace the virtual friends (virtual friends don't have bosses, quests, challenge helps, etc).

The algorithm should not be that difficult to program on the transfer in and also the replacement function.

There is an incentive to quickly replace the virtual friends with real friends due to the games respective characteristics (helps with this that and the other).

I hope Kano can consider this idea and if other players from MS and FB find it fine, move quickly to make it happen. Time would appear to be of the essence.

I think this is the best solution personally. It would add lots to the FB network in terms of players and "characters" (never be the same!) and would be the maximum fun solution!! And blood ... :p

2. neill1990

neill1990 Well-Known Member

there is one problem about this and i do agree fully and i believe i made a thread awhile back saying myspace is probly getting rid of there games and kano said tht they already have a plan for if that happens. but i have an acount on both myspace and facbook. so what i propose is that they could , if myspace does get rid of there games just move the entire game over to kongregate scence they dont have it there rite now.

3. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The problem I see is players that already have a FB account here and a Myspace account there, I see the alt problem growing in leaps and bounds. . I agree with Neil prob for the first time lol and I already suggested that to Kano.

4. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Just wanted to jump in to add a comment.

As WonderBread has mentioned already this is a top priority and are moving as fast as we can on this, it is our 2nd kick at the can as we have already experienced this once from a social network.

One issue that we have never been able to get a consensus on from players and internally is that combining 2 established networks like MySpace + Facebook, where on both sides players have been battling it out with each other for +1000 days, where they have faced different opponents on different networks, operated against different rivals and alliances with-in the game and whether or not it would be fair to bring over say a 10k level MS VC player and have them leapfrog over a FB VC player or sit below a FB VC player that they would have been stronger or weaker if they worked there way up through FB from the start.

Other features with-in the game, like battle arena, how would stats be transferred over when they are from 2 separate arenas. How would stats transfer over, example, battle wins for a MS player came from losses from MS players that FB players never had a chance to attack and vice versa.

For a game that has a lot of competition around stats, it is not just as easy as bringing 2 established networks together.

Anyways, nothing has been finalized but I just wanted to add some perspective to the idea as this is something we have thought about before and have been thinking about all day today.

Oh and then there is the issue of people who do play on both networks, how do we handle those in this scenario. Anyways, like I said we have been and will continue to think through this to find solutions to this gift that MySpace has decided to give us on a Thursday.

5. Justin the killer

Justin the killer Well-Known Member

u already know that facebook might end up refusing it too u know an could get shut down as well what yall need to do is creating a site called Kano Apps/Games Only...that is a good idea right there...

6. Carol Anderson

Carol Anderson New Member

good idea Justin why has Kano apps did not do there own sites for their games instead of going through others like facebook /myspace /Hi5 would it not be better serve for all Kano apps hugs oh just a thought

7. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That might sound like a good idea, but I would not want to be merged into some new Platform entity , bad enough what is happening to the players on Myspace. If this was another company we all know , it would just be tuff luck for anyone, they pull their games out from under people often which I guess their games and they can do that, but this is a network doing it.

8. slave

slave Member

kendall, i really truly believe that you guys worry a lot more about a higher or lower level and their chances for blah blah blah against a different network

as gamers we would welcome a new group of players regardless of strenght, stats, who they fought or didnt fight
    and as a gamer from a network that is shutting down getting moved anyplace is better than seeing it close.

so i dont think in my humble opinion your going to have anyone crying about unfairness relative to size, strenght or what have you, they just want to play...

even polish might agree with me....

9. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

I'd like some new opponents added to FB, same ole same ole every day, would spice it up.

10. Kel the Merciful King

I think the dual account situations are around 100 ish in the VC game, the one I am most familiar with.

Those dual account folks I would offer them choices.

1) Restart, i.e. reset existing FB account, to avoid TOS issue with FB, and take FP credit based on bought credits in MS, bought credits in FB, and goodwill (parallel to Hi5), or
    2) Transfer level for level, replace existing FB account, to avoid TOS issue with FB, take FP credit based on bought credits in FB, and goodwill (parallel to Hi5), or
    3) Take no action and thank you for your patronage in MS. Game over in MS.

Number 1 and 2 is not without fine print complications with respect to the FB TOS or TOU. 1 account, 1 person, means what it does at least as I read it last. Current TOS? Gaming account and personal account? SIGH might not be possible "legally". So can the current account in use be deactivated and substitute in the MS account in its place? Or be restarted? KANO magic likely could preferably rejig the character, name and all attributes as they have done at various times with their own game characters. Some of the FB friends existing in either scenario, would likely "instantly" be available for virtual friend substitution.

@Kendall
    I am not sure if the loss of relative position in MS is not the bigger concern than the impact on the FB ranks. Example Eli there in MS is number 2 at the moment. He would fall to 13th. Polish from 3rd to 14th. JJ from 4th to 15th, pushing out some players from the "Top 30". Would Eli, Polish or JJ kick butt in the FB environment? Guaranteed if they chose to. Fielding number 1 would drop to 4th, but he would have OverKing right up his tail in 5th. C Dog in 5th would drop to 6th but I bet he does not care except to beat certain vikings and to keep on keeping on whatever ... I think the problems would be in the MS characters and their relative positions and the fact that most FB players have no idea who these folks might be and how good they are. There would be rude awakenings on all sides.

I do see the point tho of the competition between the same group for x days and frankly, from my vantage, I think most of the players I have bumped into are like "slave" in his comment above. Bring it on. No fear of competition. More the merrier. Meet more people. Fight more people. Friend more people. Make enemies of more people. That is the name of the game.

I think the stats as far as Arena goes matter not a whit: they are too new to matter and they are in ranges. There is no special achievement for 1, 2, 3 ... v. top x%, top y%, top z%. The battle stats will never be parallel as the MS game was more of a boss/empire game in my observation than a pure battler/leveller game. The top players have been boss bashers for a long time. Might be something else to see the battlers from there in action (not Eddie!).

I hope that more players really put their head around this. When MS shuts down, there will be some new players in FB no doubt and whether they are handicapped to restart and some give up, or given their levels or what have you, this is going to happen and its big. I would hope that Polish on travel atm will share his 2 cents here. I know he will defend his "rights" vigorously and may alter some opinions here.

11. David Stroud

David Stroud Member

No. Keep the MySpace version on Myspace. I am already getting fed up with all the junk Facebook added to their site including the app pages that it is hard to play the games on there anymore. How many are gonna quit FB soon? It has become worst than MS on changing stuff that it is easier to access MySpace now.

12. David Stroud

David Stroud Member

Wrong, I was made a founder on the FB version, and if I had to reset? It will destroy that guild on VC.

13. neill1990

neill1990 Well-Known Member

i knew myspace would pull a stunt like this so that is why i created the facebook pirate clan and now im level 2764 on facebook and inly have been on there for 352 days and on myspace i am level 3197. just saying doesn't have much to do with this idea except i still dont like myspace.

but onto the idea kano the best solution i can think of is moving it to kongregate so that wouldnt mes up facebook users at all and you guys wouldn't have to deal with the problem of merging 2 accounts together. but this would only work if kongregate allows you to put the entire game and its accounts over there.

also in reply to Kel the Merciful King i would seriously hate it if they reset my acount to replace it with my myspace one because i took a verry diferent approach on leveling my guy on facebook fixing all of the problems that i messed up on or didnt do.

EDIT: if kano could as it says in the botom of the myspace page have the game on kano.play with email login that would be good to

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  14. David Stroud

David Stroud Member

I have more hired cheiftians and all that on FB, but I am a much higher level on MySpace.

15. Kel the Merciful King

In theory if you were offered a transfer in, and had to pick an account, the hired chiefs you earned in FB would be carried to your new FB character at the higher level you have in MS. You'd think in a goodwill measure for your patronage on the FB account's character if you paid for those chiefs, you'd get the FP's to get the hired chiefs "back." I would not prefer an account on a private network, in the abyss version of the game I play in MS, where no one new comes along ever.

Note: I only put the idea in this thread out there. I can't see a transfer to a kano games' abyss presenting a growth opportunity for Kano/Apps or for the MS players. To the end of time the existing players will clobber each other with no fresh meat. Not a good thing for growing a game or a company. Its a recipe in my beliefs for a dead game ...

Separately, I want to end also this FUD about FB: the canvas version of the Kano's apps are stunning. No ads. Black background. Large border characters. I suspect most players would go "where are the banners I miss them ... NOT!!!!!" You can play with FB version (ads on the right border) or FB Canvas version (no ads) or both!

With respect to another objection, about FB wanting this or that post for its Timeline traffic, you can shut off notification / publication rights and any request for helps you simply cancel: they show up in the game's social feeds nevertheless. That small inconvenience v. the nonsense in MS at present re gifting which can take forever, is relatively minor in the scheme of things. That if players wanted a "switch" in settings, likely they could get if desired to shut the need for the extra step of cancelling a request yet still publishing the social feed (subject to you if you want deleting it as always!).

It will be what it will be no matter. Glad I am not working OT on this at Kano :))))) TGIF!

16. David Stroud

David Stroud Member

I need to remind you Zynga has their own seperate social network seperate from Facebook at Zynga.com. Maybe kano's could do the same.

17. jeff777

jeff777 New Member

i think everyone should just start over LOL

18. Maler

Maler Member

When myself and others, came from Hi5, more than a year ago, we had probably the same ideas/conversations and so on. Although some were not happy, most of us chose to start from scratch, and didn't regret it much (if i rememeber i reached lvl 100 in my first day, without a levelling partner). Imagine what you all hard players could do, if you come to FB, and start levelling !

19. David Stroud

David Stroud Member

Would be a problem. I want to keep my Facebook one seperate from my MySpace.

20. guys and gals; I play on all 3 platforms, Facebook, Kongregate, and Myspace. I have not put any money into the game as I find it MORE rewarding to work for the equipment and hired guns I have. Now those that are saying "start over", how is it fair that we have spent hours upon hours upon hours fighting and working and building to be told that we have to start completely over. As for the ones that were in Hi5, you all were offered 1 of I think it was 3 package deals, therefore, you did not start completely over. I have more time and am a higher level on MS than I am on FB, but I have worked on them the same way. Would I be amenable to having my MS account override my FB account? NO. Would I be upset at having everything reset to 0 because a social site decided that they didn't want to be social? YES! I have spent hours building it up, and while I can see losing SOME of the stuff I have, I sure don't want to lose everything.