Limited Items on Home Page bug

Discussion in 'Bugs/Issues' started by TonyDu, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TonyDu

TonyDu Member

"LIMITED TIME ITEMS (3)LIMITED QUANTITY ITEMS (4)SALE ITEMS (6)"
    All it says, please fix the bug.

Edit: nvm about this

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. It's been "fixed."

But how did we go from this:
    Old Way.jpg

to this:
    New Way.jpg ?

I like the minimalist approach you had before.

And those sale items are particularly garish.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. TonyDu

TonyDu Member

Nvm. I just have to refresh the page...

4. Deltan

Deltan Member

We felt this was a beneficial change for players as you get the full resolution of the item. We have beautiful art assets but people weren't getting the full intended artistic effect with the previous view. Change is good! ;)

5. Survival Streak 0

Survival Streak 0 Active Member

how about a hide option though so we dont have to scroll down to see the feed we went to the homepage for in the first place?

6. Survival Streak 0

Survival Streak 0 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, the artwork is great as always.
    But if we HAVE to see it at such a size ALL the time, we may not appreciate it as much. ;)

7. alka

alka Banned

Did you consider the amount of space this is taking up coupled with the chat window on the home page?
    The home page is cluttered to the point where I'll have to think about zooming out to 50% to get a decent look at info without having to keep scrolling down the page. The app already loads at a slow rate with lag most nights of the week so I image these new images will slow it down further.
    The items are also on the UN page, so is there any need to have them on the home page as well?

8. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood Active Member

How is this beneficial to the game, it makes it more difficult to navigate. Could it be any bigger? It takes up half the home page. Besides the homepage, you can find the UN items on the UN page, the inventory page, and our personal load-out area; they are not that difficult to locate. Another Zynga-esque move by you guys this week, one of the reasons I stopped playing Mafia Wars a few years back was because every page was a cluster**** of crap.

9. AlterEgoT

AlterEgoT Well-Known Member

Ok nice graphics now make it small again.

This feels like begging for cash.

How about just when we click on it it takes you to the UN page where you can see it the size of the box on the right. It'd be even better resolution than you have now without making it in our way for playing.

Look we see you are proud. Great wonderful nice artwork. But we aren't visiting a museum we are playing a game.

Sorry for the sarcastic tone but come on folks. Let's think about this stuff before we clutter everything up.

You guys have a great game I really wish you'd quit with the format changes. They are seriously annoying to those that play every day.

I mean ya'll took time to change it from profile to you like we weren't smart enough to figure it out. I know ya'll are trying to make it easier and simplier but some of the stuff is just downright insulting.

Ok done with my vent. Fun new items but can we have our game back please?

10. Eraser

Eraser Member

It seems like You could show detail somewhere OTHER than the homepage... or make it available to minimize this new big box... It does get in the way.

Another thing Im wondering, Since there was an update to the UN item box... Did you guys add a "confirm cost" like the players have asked for? Im sure you guys have had enough refunding issues over the last couple days since the release of the new hired, and changing the way it works 3 or 4 times.

11. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Yes we did take this into consideration as we are very aware how sensitive players are to the homepage height (something we have learned with years of experience :) ). The new changes actually de-clutter over the old by removing a lot of unnecessary / repeated text and the overall change only adds 41px of height and allows the image to be displayed full resolution as opposed to a resized version. It is important to note that we have always downloaded the full sized image but resized through html so if anything with this new implementation it is loading less images and should load much faster.

As for the chat, we added the ability to minimize and close the chat window for that very reason. We are/have been working on a solution to make chat undockable but is at a lower priority at the moment.

It adds 41 pixels over the previous implementation for LCN.

Can you please add that idea to the ideas forum to rally support around that change?

Just to go over the changes step by step:

1. removed "Limited Weapon / Limited Armor / Limited Vehicle" titles
    2. moved the name of the item into the title
    3. re-arranged the text to show the image in full resolution, the full resolution image was still being downloaded we were just resizing in html so there should be absolutely no speed issues, we are actually using less images in this implementation
    4. removed the word "Expires"
    5. added tabs instead of a link to click through to the other items

All those changes added a total of 41 pixels in height (going from 222px to 263 px) to the items on the home page, with a less cluttered view.

This approach is actually more minimalist than it was before as more unnecessary text has been removed and less images used to set-up the containers.

If you feel strongly about having an option to minimize the home page items please add to the ideas section for it to get voted on.

Thanks for the feedback, as much as people want to say this is a "cash grab", we did this to improve the "aesthetics" of the home page as resizing an image through html reduces the quality and was not doing the items the justice we felt they deserved. But again, I encourage you to log your suggestion to have a minimize option to ideas so it can get voted on.

12. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

What needs to be done and still needs to be done is having a confirm button on items and stamina and energy refills before they are given out. The developers are wasting time on players who accidentaly click these items because there is no option of a confirm button. It would save you guys so much headaches having to find the item the player purchased recredit there favor points. Give us this option in the game.

13. I'm not saying you're trying to get more cash, I totally understand your plight there, but the way it was before, you could hover over it and it would pop out, so you could see it in all its' glory. Also, when you add it to your personal loadout and on your profile page all the items show up as full size. If you would like to add code to make the most recently obtained items show first so those would float to the top, I'm sure you could do it, and also make them full size on the Godfather tab. It's the size of the item and the big orange box and the red badges that make it so ugly to me. I'm okay with the tab at the top and the extra pixels they take up, but remove the boxes and the badges...

14. alka

alka Banned

I'm sure from reading most of the comments in this thread that we would have preferred 41px less not 41px more!.
    I think the new graphics look tacky, partly down to their size.
    Have you never heard the term "Better things come in smaller packages"?