Kano, when are you going to do something?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jillian Thyra Johansson, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

@DLB I agree with you that TP had a lot to contribute to the community because, which is why he was allowed to make a second account after he was banned the first time over a year ago. He wasn't, however, very good at keeping within the forum code of conduct, or keeping civil and respectful. I did my best to help him with this, however he has shown me time and again that he's more interested in harassing and trolling players he doesn't like in-game than helping grow the community, which is why he was finally removed.

@Akkhunter I've removed your post, but would prefer not to ban you, because I honestly don't like doing it. If you were serious about being removed from the forums, please send me a message and I can do so. (For clarity's sake, Akkhunter posted a rather vulgar post asking to be removed, however I gave him the benefit of the doubt and simply removed the post.)

As for the Moderator "Status", I feel that there is a common misconception about the position having anything to do with status. While we do appreciate the help that our volunteers provide, the fact that they volunteer with us doesn't change that they're still community members that can participate in discussions and make mistakes like any other community member.

Honestly, I would love it if being a Moderator was a status symbol, and something that players sought after. Maybe one day we can move towards something like that, where players could nominate other players to be moderators, and there could be mini-elections and fixed terms, and all that wonderful stuff that comes with sought-after public positions. If we were at something like that, than I agree that how a Moderator acted as a player should affect their position, but we aren't there yet. No one wants to be a Moderator, because this community is incredibly hard on them, and doesn't like to be moderated.

If we can move towards everyone accepting that being a moderator is basically a public service and being more respectful of them, then maybe we can get to a point where it becomes a position where you can't make mistakes, because someone else will take their place. But we're not there yet.

Right now, we need to look at what's best for a functional forum, and work on staying civil and respectful, rather than focusing anger and frustration on hard-working volunteers or extremely tired admins.

2. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

what would be best to make this forum more functional? how about some kind of status updates on all the great ideas ive seen within it? ive seen plenty of them, rated highly with lots of discussion, gathering dust. ive even attempted to ask whats going on with them and still nothing. whats the point in having a forum or idea section if nothing comes of it??

3. Wonder Bread

@Demonik I completely agree that we've fallen behind a bit with the ideas section. We do use lots of the ideas generated there, however we also need to do a better job of identifying the ones that we use and organizing it better. It was always my intention to do so, however that plan has fallen by the wayside the last few months as I've realized that there are other areas that need improvement first, such as the general level of civility and respect, so that players can actually discuss new ideas without fear of others trolling or tanking their threads.

4. Old Salt

Old Salt Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are people in here who are more interested in creating drama than they are in talking about the game. If they leave, so be it, maybe the game will become the top issue once again, not this nonsense.

5. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't know of him in game, whether he is in my clan or not. I disagree or agree with Jon's opinion based on my opinion on a subject solely, not on any personal knowledge of or grudge against him. It's how I try to treat every player on the Forum. The game is the game and rivlaries should stay there. We come here to exchange opinions. Not always in the most civilised manner, but that's the internet for you. I try to keep the rivlaries in game and treat them with a healthy dose of humour here.

What I bolded. A moderator will almost always be treated differently due to the fact that they work as an intermediary between Kano and the Players. People will expect higher standards of them. It's not fair to the mods, they're also only people, but if mods set a bad example, people will make them into a creative precedence, claiming "That person got away with it, but I'm punished for the same thing? Wonderful double standard, please write 'Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi!' (The things allowed to Jupiter aren't allowed to the Ox) into your TOS or let me get away with it."

I agree. Too often I get the feeling that Kano ignores input. I realize that you can't fulfill all our wishes, but some input to ideas for example would be very appreciated. They get posted and then there aren't any comments from Kano directly. Why did we post them in the first place then? As far as I remember, they were meant to be commented on by Kano employees. I wouldn't call for Jon's removal, but at least an apology should be in there somewhere. It doesn't really matter any more who started it, Jon crossed the line when he revealed personal information about TP. It's not something that should be treated lightly.

And yes, I too solicit that you unban The Protector and Polishpimpn. They're valuable assets to the Forum. So, please reconsider.

6. Wonder Bread

The original post of this thread was asking when action would be taken on the issue being discussed. You can read about that action by clicking here. As the original post has been answered, this thread is now closed.

7. Wonder Bread

@DLB Sorry, I didn't see your post before I closed the thread. I appreciate the input, and largely agree with most of what you're saying. Check out the new thread I posted, as I feel it's a fair compromise between my initial reaction and what's been asked in the community. Also, Jon is going to apologize relatively soon, which I'll ask him to do on that thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.