Inactive Player Results For Halloween Arena

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TabithaMoon, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TabithaMoon

TabithaMoon Active Member

The night of the last arena, I posted about inactive accounts earning Top 10, Top 20, and Top 100 rankings. Someone else showed that 49 inactive accounts made up the Top 100. The majority of people who contributed to the thread agreed that it is ridiculous for KANO to award non-players, who didn't even log on to play but scored better than those of us who have been saving stamina (some may have bought stamina) and improving our stats to participate. These non-players seem to only be interested in the free XP signing up for the arena awards and have no interest in the arena beyond that.

I just looked at the results for last night's arena. These are the positions filled by non-players. The numbers rise past 100 but I'm only posting the Top 100:

16, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 55, 56, 58, 59, 60, 61, 64, 65, 67, 68, 69, 71, 73, 74, 76, 77, 82, 83, 84, 86, 87, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 98, 99, 100.

58 inactive players this time. 58 spots filled by people who never even signed into the game.

In my last post, mi7ch said the dev team would be looking into this. I understand the time between last arena and this one was short and they probably need more time to discuss the issue and come up with a plan to solve this problem, and it IS a problem. Someone in the last thread said it was merely a "strategy," but I don't consider not playing and getting rewarded for it a strategy, just like hitting someone and hiding the hospital so you don't get hit back is more of a coward's game than strategy, which denotes well-thought out attack and defense methods.

I have decided that since I am just running through DJ points and boosts for what has amounted to nothing while others keep their DJ points and boosts and sleep through the arena to wake up with awards and achievements, I will not be participating in any more arenas until this problem is solved. It's a waste of my time, especially when the time is set in the middle of the night, and game resources if I could probably rate better by sleeping through it.

My suggestions would be:

1. Not award the XP for joining until the arena ends and they made at least 10 attacks

2. Not award anyone a Top 100 position unless they have made at least 1,000 attacks

3. Not award anyone a Top 20 position unless they have made at least 2,000 attacks

4. Not award anyone a Top 10 position unless they have made at least 3,000 attacks

5. If a person joins but makes no attacks, they are not counted as having participated and receives no awards.

* I'm referring to top positions, not top percentages.

I realize I'm not a developer but as a member of PC, I wanted to share my opinion of the awarding system. Currently, that system is flawed and rewards people for stealing XP for a feature they never intend on using.

Thanks for listening!

2. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

I like it...all i would add is that inactive players shouldnt be eligible for achievement and their rewards either.

One thing that does concern me about this though is it doesnt address the active players. Even if the inactives dont get any rewards they would still rank higher than many active players...essentially/potentially knocking them out of any rewards.

Myself and a couple others suggested long ago that the arena play out as it currently does but when it ends all the inactives move down in the rankings in the same order they finished until they are ranked right after the last active player. This would move all the active players up in the rankings in the same order they finished and would be rewarded appropriately and the arena would be in-keeping with its original intent.

One of the negative responses to this idea was by the person you spoke of previously that likes to suggest that being completely inactive is a valid strategy....lol. But the biggest concern brought up by a few was that to do it this way all players that ranked would have to wait until the arena was completely over before they could collect their rewards. Personally I wouldnt care at all if I had to wait a couple extra hours or even days to get my rewards if it meant the arena was more like it was intended to be and actually promoted and rewarded PVP action.

3. Larry Skary

Larry Skary Member

I like this also and I agree with Polish and have in fact made the suggestion to move all inactives down and replace them with active players even if it took 2 or 3 days to receive your reward just so players would know that being active does pay in the arena. :)

4. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Hey folks,

Just wanted to pop in here and let you know this is something we're still working on (in fact some of the suggestions look similar to what we've kicked around in the planning sessions. That's not to say that's the direction we're going in, just that we're not excluding any options).

I currently don't have a time-frame for this but it is a top-priority item for us. Threads like these are always a great help as it lets us know what the players are thinking. Thanks for posting this!

5. polishpimp

Exactly Larry! Rewarding inactivity in anyway actually promotes it...there will always be those that want something for nothing. The arena was suppose to be the exact opposite...it was suppose to be all out mayhem. Its sole purpose was to appease the PVP crowd. There is plenty to do for those that dont want to fight or want something for nothing like calenders for example. Even if they implemented this idea there is still a legitimate chance that inactives could finish in the top 100 and get some type of reward...why wouldnt that be enough for doing nothing? I wonder how many players that sign up for the arena and remain completely inactive actually reside in hidden guilds? You know....that guild option that was implemented for those that didnt like the fighting aspect of the games...lol.

6. polishpimp

damn it...who let u in? your starting to creep me out in a stalkerish kind of way, were not use to a community manager thats so attentive. FREAK! ;)

7. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

8. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

LOL, I bet this would decrease arena participants. Which is less levels for the actives, I think being active you get your reward already= levels.

9. polishpimp

You may very well be right about that Mathew. But with that said it might also well be that of those that do still sign up more may become active as the arena intended. I know of quite a few players that arent active because they know they stand a better chance if they are inactive. If you think about it that really kinda sucks...the less you do the better your odds...lol.

I guess it all depends on what someone wants to get out of the arena. Some players care more about levels than actual rank. Thats cool and all but that can be done outside the arena as well. Some people actually want a shot at winning the arena but truth be told most players dont really have a legitimate shot because they are simply out gunned despite the higher levels being heavily handicapped. But lets be honest....if a lower level player had a legitimate shot at winning an arena it would be anything but fair...the highest of levels would literally need to be handcuffed, barefoot and blind folded......hardly a fair fight. Another thing to take into consideration is that higher levels dont level nearly as much as other levels...there has to be some type of trade off. lesser levels get more levels and higher levels get a better shot at winning.

Even if inactives got moved down the ranks and active players got moved up my guess would be that players would still sign up even if they planned on being inactive, why? Because they still get the free XP for signing up and they still can remain completely anonymous and whatever happens in the arena stays in the arena and has no affect on ones regular game other than they might get some rewards. Inactives will always be in the arena for active players to feed on which means the levels will be there, but they will be where they belong....at the bottom of the leader board.

So maybe the participation numbers would drop which may mean less levels for some but at least the arena would be what it was intended to be. At least then the players that were actually playing the game and possibly spending FP on stamina which is what helps pay for these games would get a reward more befitting of their effort and expense.

Of course these games arent real life but it is fun to keep them as in-keeping with real life as possible. If an actual arena was actually taking place how many of its participants that stood around doing absolutely nothing would be alive near the end?

10. TabithaMoon

Polish and Larry, Thanks for the input, guys! I like the suggestion about moving the inactives down below the actives, but keeping them in order.

Matthew, since the inactives aren't contributing, anyway, and really just leaching off of the system for their little XP sign-up reward, it would benefit everyone if they didn't sign up. The players who sign up to participate have either been saving DJP or have purchased them just for the arena. The inactive ones do nothing. The active players encourage game play between arenas to build up strength and DJPs, either through saving or purchasing. The inactive ones don't encourage anything but lazy play and certainly not in-game purchases. If they were forced to participate for a set number of attacks to earn that sign-up XP, they will discover that even a few hits will give them more XP than not playing and would entice them to participate, which would gain more players who may be willing to purchase DJP. The arena is addictive. I can see how making them participate to earn the sign-up XP would be a good marketing strategy.

mi7ch, Thank you again! I'm impressed with your activity on our posts and I second what polish said (except the stalking part .. unless you're Batman). If you're suggesting that you're that little kitten in the gif, I should warn you that I tend to pick cute cuddly things up and smother them with love until they can't breathe. LOL! Thank you for updating us that this is still an important topic for the devs :).

11. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I resent any implications that as an inactive in this last arena, that I am not someone who contribute to the games in any way, and If you think I am staying up till 1:00 am when I have to get up at 5:00 am for a JOB , you would be dead wrong. I fought against the ideas of inactives since the inception of the arena, I have adjusted to kano's vision about it and If I cannot participate , oh well, I know I have spend more money than you on these games and I am anything but lazy, so stop throwing adjectives around against others . As far as pushing inactives down the list ,yes I agree but I am as sure that if inactives do not even get any xp for joining , you will be fighting alot less players and you will be dead alot quicker, My health reward is alot better than yours so anyone who kills me is gonna benefit from it. So sue me I am ranked at # 36 :p tough noogies :p PS My "addiction" for these games is for the regular game and stops before the arena .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  12. TabithaMoon

As a long time player, you should know that the arena is for those of us who like the fighting aspect and have been blocked from it by hit-and-hiders. I may be wrong but I believe, also, it was made with the very high levels in mind since they really have no one to battle. It is a fighting feature. Not a hiding feature. If someone isn't interested in the arena, why join it?

I respect your point-of-view but I would appreciate some consideration for those of us who fight hard to earn a place on the boards only to have it stolen by people who don't give a flying flip and don't even sign on. No one here was being rude, Linda. It would be nice if those you don't agree with received the same respect the other side of the debate has gotten.

13. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

I guess being called lazy, isn't rude LMFAO

TabithaMoon on your last post is this: I respect your point-of-view but I would appreciate some consideration for those of us who fight hard to earn a place on the boards only to have it stolen by people who don't give a flying flip and don't even sign on. No one here was being rude

14. TabithaMoon

*ahem* .. lol .. "lazy play" is not calling someone lazy. The word "lazy" in this sentence is being used as an adjective to describe a type of action, i.e. the way the game is played. Had I said "People who play this way are lazy," you would have a point. Actually, I may have said something similar in the other thread, but I don't remember. If you find it, use it to rewrite your comment and I'll apologize ;).

15. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Get it Tabitha? Look I understand the whole def crap that has been thread after thread, here's a idea I bet you would love (LOL) more make it more incentive to join, get "THE #'s UP" say 1/2 level, most won't know about defense stance, that work? arena might been made for PVP. Guess what it's not now, deal with it. BTW, I didn't know arena is a bounty now gone in .5 secs! As arena sits it's 1st to show up or dead, inactives contribute later to you if still alive to get that sweet health reward. My 2 cents

16. Old Salt

Old Salt Well-Known Member

Linda is exactly right here IMO. Its the perfect catch-22. Your angry at inactives and want to thin out their ranks but without them as a buffer you will be dead a lot quicker. I agree of course that getting rewards for doing nothing is ridiculous but you cannot take away the incentive for people to join with the entry experience reward. Otherwise wave goodbye to a lot of inactive accounts and as a consequence wave goodbye to your ranking in the reward zone as the packs out there and whomever else will find you a lot quicker.

17. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I say go ahead and make the changes to keep inactive players like me out. Once upon a time, the arenas lasted more than 8 hours, so I was usually able to participate no matter what time the arenas were, even if it wasn't right at the start. I still join them knowing that I will not be there at the beginning in the (faint) hopes that I might still be able to get a few attacks in. Let's go ahead and give the players that are active at the arena start time what they want: keep inactive players (like me 75% of the time) from joining at all, eliminate the xp bonus for joining, and let the approximately 50 active players (depending on the game) battle it out for 30 minutes for automatic achievements and rewards like they want. I could really give a flip about the whole thing at this point, and it's not worth arguing any further. Give the moneyspenders on the games (not me) what they want.

18. Larry Skary

Larry Skary Member

The free XP for joining is great and should stay to encourage people to join. All I have said was that Kano should move all inactives down and move the actives up to the reward tier. I think this would encourage more players to be active. I know that not all times are good start times for everyone but that is something we players cannot control. I would gladly wait 2 or 3 days to allow Kano the time to adjust the ranks so all active players get the rewards they are entitled to instead of inactives getting them.

19. Gazember

Gazember Guest

Top Poster Of Month

There is only one way to stop people crying about inactive ones and that Arena isn't about PVP.

When the arena starts you have 1-2 minutes to confirm that you are an active player, and you will play. After this confirmation the arena will start with only that 20-50 active players and good luck to them. In the end its about fighting and not making easy XP.

On the other hand, there are ideas about forcing people to enter the Arena or filling it up with inactive made up players :))))
    They just want to get rid of the inactive ones to don't wait until they defense time expires, and replace them with inactive defenseless planted players, who don't hit back.

20. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That works for me