[VC] Game down Sun 3/11 11:10am PDT

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Deltan, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Deltan

Deltan Member

Game is down since 11:10am PDT. We have top men working on the problem! Update soon.

[Update 3/11 12:20pm PDT] Games are back, we apologize for the inconvenience. More information will be made available after a root cause analysis on Monday.

[Update 3/12 5:30pm PDT] We had what appears to be a run away query in one of our databases, a cascading failure occurred that caused many new processes to spawn. Eventually exhausting middleware applications out of resources. Over the weekend, we ran profiling on our databases, that pinpointed some specific queries and uncovered some hotspots that we dealt with Sunday/Today.
    This was not the same type of failure we had experienced previously with cache servers but the net result was the same, downtime for you the player, and reset rivals lists and game feed history lost. The rivals will be moved into persistent storage this week, downtime will no longer result in resets for this. Please see this past Friday's TGIF dev post.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Dear Kano,
    I understand having technical problems but I am not happy at what resulted from them. All Guild War attacks were reset and no stamina or anything with it? It was highly beneficial to the high ranking players who have played a long time when people my level and lower logged on. We died repeatedly. Yet we had no way to fight back after being on all day and using our stamina. The fact that you reset the Guild War attacks and slaps is disturbing to me as you're messing with what many people have worked hard for throughout the week. And 1 gift of a warrior doesn't fix this. I have put real money into Viking Clan a number of times and I'm not happy.
    I had a great day online when I was on using my stamina. I log on to use the little bit that had built up to hunt or use on a boss and got destroyed by level 5&6 thousands.. Your reset was biased to the high level players and totally ruined the game for the night until reset.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

What I'm after is this not to happen again. Is there some way you could create a database that backs up every hour maybe with all the Guild War information? It's central to the daily gameplay of all involved and so of critical importance. If there was some way to back up the information at regular intervals, then the next time technical issues reset everything. You can revert to the backup so very little is lost or gained by anybody thus making the competition of Guild Wars barely affected.

4. Dunk Nielsen

Dunk Nielsen Member

i collected my daily stam boost for 2 days a 30% and a 40% and then went to hit a boss and it was all gone WTF and you guys tell us to write kano supp. for what ?? i did and yet still havent got an answer or my lost stam so close to find a diff game to use my money on

5. Dunk Nielsen

Dunk Nielsen Member

Hello Dunk,

We had an unexpected serve maintenance yesterday. We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you have any additional issues, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
    Cara
    Viking Clan Support

what good is that ??? i PAY for my FP give me my 2500 stam or 10 FP

6. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

Administrator

Whats happening this week in KANO/APPS Dev, TGIF edition!
    Property Selling
    Property selling! We had planned to re-introduce property selling this week but we have learned our lesson to no longer push code at the end of the week! Also the plague seemed to hit the Kano office this week so we were down a couple team members this week. It is no secret, currently a users income is related to a users hitlist cost, when a user sells off all their property their hitlist price drops drastically setting that player up to be over hitlisted as was the case +1-week ago when it happened in one of our games that brought out some issues with our automation detection system. We have listened to the players with respect to wanting/needing the ability to sell off property to achieve certain achievements/goals in game, use it as an alternative to banking, sell off to raise cash while at war etc and those issues we plan to address immediately next week. We are looking to re-introduce property selling next week in a way that will allow players a way to continue to achieve those goals while playing the game allowing them to access those funds, through stats collected selling of property accounts for less than 0.01% of the actions in game.

One of the comments from a player was that sell-offs are sometimes the most exciting part of the game, we would like to take that on as a challenge to create a similar aspect into a re-occurring event that is supported by the game but need your help with possible suggestions. We
    recently added a "KANO Bounty Boss" to the ideas board. So please hit the ideas board with suggestions on features that could replicate the same kind of excitement created by a sell-off that does not have the same disruptive characteristics.

Additions this week:
    Downtime Appreciation Item: a token of our appreciation to players for our recent outages
    Lottery: OK button removed from free ticket message. (issue brought up in forum).
    Boosts buttons have switched places to minimize mis-clicks (issue brought up in forum).

Boss improvements released:
    Helper max damage on bosses is now persistent between bosses, no more resetting boss helper max damage on every new boss.
    Helper max damage settings is now stored in persistent storage, if a cache server fails users helper max dmg will no longer reset to max.
    Suicide by boss is no longer possible, minimum health you can take yourself to is 1-health.
    Max dmg a helper can do has been adjusted to no longer allow a helper to do 100% dmg and a owner to do 0%.

hi5 Player transfers on-going
    Misc behind the scenes database optimizations

Updates planned but not necessarily scheduled for next week:

Stamina / Energy Refills (carried over from last week)
    From Ideas Forum! Players have requested that stamina refills add their max stamina to current amount, so for example if you had 500 as your current max Stamina a Stamina Refill would give you +500 stamina no matter what your current stamina is, and guess what we agree!

Property Selling (carried over from last week)
    Boss improvements continued
    We will be looking to always require owner to do min damage to prevent owners from collecting boss achievements from their own boss kills but are not doing any damage on their own bosses.
    Boss Min Dmg for Kill Reward pulled into helped boss list. From Ideas: http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthrea...tage-completed
    Expired Friend Bosses now show in your helped list as expired and are then removed from your friend boss list. Brought up in forum: http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthrea...Expired-Bosses

Rival list updates:
    We will have to reset rivals next week to move to persistent storage (no longer losing rivals with cache server failures)
    Paginated list view.
    Sticky rivals (floats selected rivals to top of list).
    Rival Icon (skull icon) will show count of new rivals.
    Hide rival from list option.
    Better more accurate check if can attack.
    Additional information of attacks against and from each target, level, clan size.
    Who attacked first.
    Viking Clan Battle Drops.
    St. Patty's Day Calendar starts Friday March 16 @ 12pm PST and runs for 72hrs.

Sorry Adam for the loss of your game play and rivals list. This is one thing they are working on and at the time when the game went down on sunday I do believe this issue had not been updated yet. Since this thread by deltan was posted on 3/9/12. Sometimes it's a slow moving process of getting things added into the game and having to make sure it works in the game without any kinks in the system. Hopefully next time this issue happens that the rivals list will not be lost again with cache server failure.

7. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Once again Kano your missing the whole point of being able to sell off everything. If a player wants to quit playing...they want to sell off everything and go out with a bang. Its this aspect that is the most exciting...u can not duplicate this in anyway. when a player has decided to finally leave the game....they r able to releaes a lot of frustration and WHY SHOULDNT THEY?.

Kano also used the Hacking and selling excuse as a reason to rid the game of the selling feature....yet u have not addressed the issue that it would be much more detrimental to ones game if they were hacked and their weapons and warriors had been eliminated.

As stated previously...the issue u had with that single players bounty being lowered causing the server crash has only happened once in all the years these games have been around. Its the rarest of occurrence which most have said they can live with in exchange for getting back the ability to sell all r property if we so wish. Its what the players have always had and what they want back....anything less is complete BS!

8. thekont

thekont New Member

sorry gentlemen but i would hardly say the issue is solved completely
    i cant access viking clan anymore only mob wars works
    when ever i click on any of viking clan links i get a white page in IE or ,and thats from chrome, This webpage is not available

could you please look into this ??

9. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

thekont. Try clearing your cache and cookies and browsing history. Some individuals had this issue last night were the links they use to get into the games seem to get stored sometimes on there browsers. And once all that was cleared out they were able to access into the games again. Had a friend who had the issue also and he got back in after i told him to do that. If that doesn't work i will send in a report so they can look into the issue why your not in the game yet.

10. Deltan

Deltan Member

Hey Adam,
    We are really sorry this continues to happen. We are as frustrated as you are. It's not the level of service we wish to provide you with. All day Sunday and again today has been spent on identifying and resolving the problems bringing us down. We have a fix ready to go in that stops those types of resets from occurring, it was to go out last week but we postponed it to this week.

11. Deltan

Deltan Member

I was going to reply to this, but this is not the thread for it. re: weapons and warriors, I'll put it in the queue. A number of account security related items are in there.

12. Deltan

Deltan Member

As I understand it you want FP for what was a Boost you received that failed. That doesn't make sense since the Boost cost you nothing. Wonder Woman works wonders on behalf of all players, I really don't think calling her out like you are in public is the best way to get resolution to your issue. Thanks guy.

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Active Member

If you are wanting some resolution through support then I suggest keeping messages between us.

You didn't use favor points in this particular case for the stamina, it was from collecting a boost.

14. thekont

thekont New Member

thank you jon for your reply . i have tried that but unfortunately i still cant access VC. i even tried accessing it from a friends PC who doesnt even know the game with same results . so could you please send in a report for that . i appreciate all your help in matter

15. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Thank you for the answer Deltan. The reset was my issue :)
    I'm glad to hear of a fix so as any future maintainence problems will not interfere with Guild Wars too badly.