[PC] Bounty Traps

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Old Salt, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt Well-Known Member

Don't agree at all. And I'm sorry but i don't consider it any kind of strategy to kill yourself on a trap. If you want to do that fine but you should be paying a more extensive penalty. Bounty traps are meant to be a penalty after all. And a strategic device in regards to bounties being set. Now they are being used by people to hide from their enemies and have for some time. When players actually feel comfortable using a penalty device that's meant to counter bounties because they know all that will happen is they will lose experience and get their money back then that is something that needs to be revisited. And having a floor on the experience you can lose from traps just allows for someone to keep going through traps set on them without worrying about any accumulating penalty. Its not right that you are paying for bounty traps on someone that are not working because that person has reached his experience floor. Your still losing your money setting them. And more than that, these players know they have a safety net below them.

And I would argue that Linda's post is a validation of the problem out there. This particular player she's pointing out goes through several traps on him a day, sometimes two an hour, whenever he goes offline. He does this because he knows a) he will get his money back and b) he's just losing experience that he can always quickly get back.

2. The Protector

The Protector Banned

It's a strategy,have to agree.But if the trap turned into where the lister gets listed instead..that can at least give a chance a rival will kill them.

3. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Thats fine, we simply have a difference of opinion.

But to say that a bounty trap is meant as a penalty is simply wrong, its meant as a defensive measure. To call it penalty is to imply that the person attempting to bounty the person is doing something wrong. Players get bountied all the time for reasons most would agree with and those that we would not...who gets to make the moral judgement on that?

Basically what u want is to be able to attack and kill someone that is off line because they outmaneuvered u in the game by hitting and hiding right? Why is hitting and hiding a bad thing....is it bad because u dont like it or dont do it? How would u prefer someone else plays....your way? Your way is the more righteous way because why? Are u saying that all players should just fight toe to toe? what would be the point of giving out as much XP as your getting? If someone has a strong attack so their defense suffers are they just suppose to keep healing so they can get the stuffing kicked outta them? what kind of messed up strategy is that?

OK....so u think that its lame that people kill themselves on traps because they were messing with u and u didnt get your pound of flesh. If that was the only way it worked everytime then your idea would be fine....but what about my example? I think its lame that my rivals wont engage me while im online but wait until im off line to kill me, is that any less lame than someone hitting and hiding?

Heres another example, Some player is being a total jerk and just listing a bunch of lower levels just because (happens all the time), So another player who in defense of the lower player wants to try and stop this player from being a jerk so he trys to list them, the jerk is sitting on the bounty trap button and kills the player trying to help out multiple times. Under your plan...the jerk would be making out like a bandit while the nice guy was getting penalized.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. I too think bounty traps are a legitimate strategy in the game, Yes maybe they can be abused or used in people's favor, but I'm sure this isn't a widely abused, if it was Kano might act to change the rules around it :)

5. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They may be a legitimate strategy but they are abused, no doubt about it, like most things .and they need to be tweaked to have more of a bite (penalty) losing half the coins the one who wants to set the person who has the trap would be my suggestion, if not then the person who sets the traps gets their coin back also , fair is fair :p

6. I kind of agree, they may be abused but I don't think they are widely abused I think they're fine the way they are, but I don't know I don't tend to use them a lot, or get them used on me :)

7. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

at your level and how often you play i don't doubt it ,lol we hardcore players deal with alot of things on a daily basis :)

8. Believe me I'll be as good as the rest one day :p Never underestimate the power of the noob lol :D

9. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

lmao :) I can't wait :)

10. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

You can call it what you want......but by its very definition it is a strategy. Some say its being abused...I just dont see how that is possible when its a legal action and there is a price to be payed for doing it. To say that their is not enough of a price to pay or "penalty" for doing this action because players keep doing it ....is to say that you basically dont want players to do it. How does one differentiate a legitimate bounty attempt from someone trying to off themselves and who gets to make that call? Increasing or adding more bite is going to discourage players listing others for legitimate reasons as well....It will more than likely affect the legitimate bountys more so than it will deter the players that are committing suicide on the traps, do we really want fewer bountys?

Like I said previously....I kill my self on traps in some of my games because most my rivals will not engage until I go off line. So why would i want to help them by letting them kill me? They penalty is already steep, this is more magnified the higher in level u r. At my level it is much more difficult to replace the XP lost by dying in a trap but Im willing to make that choice in lieu of the alternative. If I dont kill myself ....im going to be killed and lose that XP anyways....why would I want to give my rivals XP, kills and gold on top of that?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012