[PC] Bounty Traps

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Old Salt, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt Well-Known Member

Can we have the bounty traps given a bit more teeth then they have now, because they are being terribly abused. I can't tell you the amount of people who purposely kill themselves on traps when they go offline. They do it to escape being attacked or being killed by their enemies and I say when it gets to the point that something that's supposed to be a penalty to people is actually being used to help them, then it needs to be addressed. Obviously these pirates don't care about losing experience, so my suggestion would be let's see how they feel about losing the money that they spend on the trap also. I'm not saying transfer that money to the player they are attempting to bounty, the money could disappear into thin air for all I care, but it will at least stop a lot of these people who are using the traps for their own personal needs. I know there is an argument that it will scare people away from setting bounties but if you really want to bounty someone bad enough you will do it, even if you hit a trap and lose the initial money you spent. But what this will do is stop people from abusing it. And it will promote more fighting, as these people won't be able to hide behind the trap anymore and have to deal with the people who do attack them when they are offline.

2. The Protector

The Protector Banned

One suggestion that was suggested in the past,if I remember right even Kendall had said he liked it and would have to have it thinked on,was that the trap should place the lister on the list instead of killing them.Price of the bounty would be the cost of the trap.This would also solve another problem that some to this day are furious about.If the trap did this,you wouldn't be able to list anyone while you're on the list,but it also prevents dying on bounty trap while on bounty and wasting the lister's coin.
    Far as your idea,perhaps if its half coin loss.Full coin loss would be a bit harsh.If it's half coin loss,I'd give you a 10.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. Old Salt

I have to admit I'd never heard that idea before about being listed. LMAO! I bought up the idea about giving the trap more bite a while back in one of the PC groups on facebook and I think at the time Eric had said he was worried it would prevent people from setting bounties, but I don't think it would. I also suggested then that they could lose the full amount or half the amount. Remember, the price of a trap is only half the bounty price of someone I believe, so your not talking about losing the full amount of someone's actual bounty price. Oh, and I think they should also lose the 3 stamina and 5 energy as well. That would hurt.

4. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Not bad.Vote changed from 5 to 10.Now to dig up the link where it was suggested traps place lister on bounty.

5. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am definitely liking this idea :) gave it a 10

6. The Protector

The Protector Banned

7. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wow good deal digging that old thread up and it went nowhere , we need to revive this issue for sure, :)

8. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Hey,I'm a certified thread necromancer,what'd you expect?

9. Old Salt

Wow. That was a while back.

09-15-2010 01:11 AM #1
    Kendall
    Administrator

Hitlist/Bounty Ideas/Changes
    I have been thinking about the hitlist/bounty list feature and have had some ideas for some possible changes/improvements that could add some more strategy to this feature and make it a little more fun.

1. Cannot hunt or place hits/bounties on other users when you have negative XP. This makes sense, if your character is in the negative XP there should be some non-critical features disabled in the game.

2. Cannot hunt after a recent death, say 5-min or so. This would a bit more strategy to the hitlist, what this would enable is that if some players are getting on a real streak of hitlist collecting it would allow other players the opportunity to try and slow that player down. It makes sense, if you have a recent death you should have some kind of recovery time before your are out collecting hits again.

There was also another thread started on this topic specific to Zombie Slayer but wanted to collect ideas/suggestions across all games as well as get feedback on the 2 points mentioned above.

The ZS hitlist thread can be found here:
    http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthread.php?t=1798

-----------------------------------

1) Its a good idea. Talking about negative territory, the trap is also being abused in another way that I forgot to mention. It seems that if you fall into negative territory that there is a "floor" you reach where you can't lose any more experience and thus the traps become worthless. A lot of players are aware of this so they blow through trap after trap knowing that they can't fall any farther then a half level or so in negative territory. This also means that the poor sap blowing his money, energy or stamina on setting traps will start to set duds at one point as the traps no longer are effective once the floor is reached.
    I don't think there should be a floor. If you keep getting trapped that's your problem. But you should keep falling into negative territory without hitting any floor. It's just another way the traps are being abused.

I don't know about his second idea, I hate limits. I don't see the idea about being hit listed when you run into a trap.

10. My opinion on this is if you're going to limit people from using a strategy that is legitimate and part of the game, then we may as well do away with leveling partners.

Also, we should disable the ability to hide in the hospital to avoid being attacked.

11. alka

alka Banned

If I can add a little idea to your suggestion.. How about the option to buy more than one at a time, with each one getting cheaper to maybe 10. However, the bite in the tail could be that each time that person sets one of the 10 off, they lose more xp each time up to maybe 3x more by the 10th. Then you have to reset another 10 if the person still haven't got the message?
    I would suggest that the traps be limited to say 5 players to avoid abuse.

12. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Leveling partners is lame IMO where is the challenge with a set up like that, safe , well timed, between friends who declan for the time they do their leveling off each other, then clan back, just lame lol, go out and fight and take your chances and if some one says OH there is no one to fight on my fight board, then I can add stop leveling soooo fast and stop clanning with everyone . :p

13. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

14. alka

alka Banned

I agree on both counts. Ban level partners and ban hiding. It would then be game over for you.

Kano, are you going to delete this one too?

15. Old Salt

This is not a legitimate strategy (its not even a strategy) it is an abuse of a feature that was supposed to be a penalty when it was added to the game.

16. It is a strategy in some ways. In Viking Clan, warring guilds use bounty traps to limit the number of WPs the rival guilds can get when members go offline. Yes, I know the tag says PC. The strategy can still be used outside of warring guilds and VC to limit the ability of rivals to gain experience off you while you're offline.

Don't get me wrong, bounty traps should be more penalizing, but to completely eliminate this strategy, I don't agree with.

I'd say double, or triple the experience lost from triggering a bounty trap. I wouldn't remove the EXP loss floor completely either.

The strategy is as legitimate as hiding in the hospital for hours at a time.

17. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

18. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Well I changed my strategy for the one "Coward" that likes to kill himself on my traps 3 or 4 times a day, for a while now going from once a day to multiple times , so I stopped setting them, and now it costs him coin and he has to go looking for another trap lol he cannot beat me I have pretty much ignored him, for along time and I get a decent rival list a few times a day, but believe me this guy is a Coward he is alot higher than me and it seems to annoy him that he cannot beat me lol, but a going thru trap on a daily basis like this clown does should be more of a penalty as he could care less about the xp , obviously :)

but honestly bounties and traps really are not much of a punishment ( for lack of a better word)

19. polishpimp

Strategies in game theory

Main article: Strategy (game theory)
    In game theory, a strategy refers to one of the options that a player can choose. That is, every player in a non-cooperative game has a set of possible strategies, and must choose one of the choices.
    A strategy must specify what action will happen in each contingent state of the game—e.g. if the opponent does 1, then take action A, whereas if the opponent does 2, take action B.
    Strategies in game theory may be random (mixed) or deterministic (pure). That is, in some games, players choose mixed strategies. Pure strategies can be thought of as a special case of mixed strategies, in which only probabilities 0 or 1 are assigned to actions.
    Strategy based games all have a similar objective where the player thinks through a sequence of solutions to determine the preferred favorite in order to defeat the opponent. Chess is a common strategy game played throughout the world.

20. polishpimp

There ya go Linda. The Strategies I use is often diff from one opponent to the next because every body plays differently, very much like u having to change your strategy for that one player. Taking are options away will only insure that we have zero defense to anything and will be at the mercy of our adversaries non stop. Dont take me wrong here....there are plenty of things that my rivals do that I think are lame and that drive me nuts...but in the end its overcoming these obstacles and returning the favor is where the satisfaction comes from