Boss drop. What determines the drop chance?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Elise Falcony, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Elise Falcony

Elise Falcony Banned

What determines the drop chance?

2. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

The Boss drops have a random chance per attack to drop. The more attacks you do, the larger the chance for drops. There's an answer from another player in a different thread that sums it up:

"...drops are awarded based on a predetermined percentage of chance. For example....if its a particular boss has a drop rate of 45% chances of a drop it doesn't mean two diff players are going to get them 45% of the time....not over the short haul anyways. The number will draw closer to 45% in time with the more u hit it.

Its also important to note that skill point allocation also plays a big role. If two player are hitting the same level boss (each hitting their own same level boss) the results in regards to drops can be very much different depending on how much more or less damage one is doing to the boss per hit. If one player is much stronger attack wise....they are doing more damage and killing their boss in fewer hits which allows for less opportunity for drops. Like everthing else in these games there is a trade off. The higher attack may get more XP (to a certain point)but they will get less drops."

3. Gazember

Gazember Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I think the most important factor is, if you have unlocked that boss or not. If not, the drop rates a significantly lower.

4. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

That factors in as well, yes.

5. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have always thought that, then was told no that has nothing to do with it ,yet I see a player who does not have certain bosses and his drop rate is thru the roof and way more than someone/s who own the boss/s and are a higher level .

6. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

hey mitch, i was told that you get more drops from hitting your own bosses...is that true? also, when you say the more you hit the boss the closer you get to the max percentage, is that accumulative? lets say im killing a huge level boss with tons of health and it takes me a couple days....will the drop ratio be the same as if i hit it all at once or would i have to continuously hit it till its dead to maximize my drops?

7. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Good god, if that's true good luck seeing any decent bosses in feed LOL. But it's not LOL.

8. Demonik1

well there arenat many on server 2 that have the bosses i want to hit and only half of them actually share lol so it wouldnt make much of a difference haha

9. Elise Falcony

Elise Falcony Banned

Power attack drop chance = attack drop chance?

10. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Basically the same, although defeating the boss using Power Attacks will mean you defeat it faster, so you'll get less drops compared to using normal attacks.

11. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

What I've noticed is that the higher level the boss is (a level 125 Helreginn as opposed to a level 10 Helreginn) will have a higher frequency of boss drops. The Helreginn 2 and Heimdallr 1 are the best examples of this.

12. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

It makes sense that the more attacks one has on a boss the closer one would come to the actual percentage of the drop but this is not always the case which suggests there is more involved than just the number of attacks. Ive seen examples of similar numbers in the tens of thousands of attacks on the same boss and percentages that are off by up to 10%

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. Demonik1

agreed polish, the skadis blizzard boss is a prime example of that. it must be the stingiest boss ive seen yet...usually ANY boss i get past level 50 starts dropping more frequently but thats not the case with the 2nd coming of the skadi....i hardly ever start that one anymore and its only in the 80's....i usually dont retire a boss until it hits the 120's

14. Demonik1

come to think of it, im sure its done for a reason....games should get harder the higher you get. i remember when they first released the new underling bosses like the dragon whelp...the whelp dropped warriors like there was no tomorrow which gave newer players a great advantage over the veteran players in terms of drops from the start...that helps in more ways than one, made it easier to shed your bought warriors and collect more coin over tiome due to no upkeep...compare the rate of drops from the whelp to the 2nd skadi and the blizzard must drop maybe a 4th of what it does

15. polishpimp

Damn, one of the few times u agreed with me and its because u misunderstood (or i didnt make it clear enough)....lol

There is no doubt that diff bosses have diff drop ratios...kano has said as much but it was quite some time ago.

I was referring to the diff in drop percentages between individual players who have hit the same boss tens of thousands of times. For example....JJ and I have similar numbers (number of attacks/ boss level)on some bosses yet the overall percentage of drops from the total number of attacks differ greatly.

16. polishpimp

I agree that games should get more challenging as one rises in levels and they certainly do. The problem though is that challenge , time and expense rise exponentially yet the rewards do not.....basically its do more for less. I also agree that kano has given multiple advantages to newer /lower level players in diff areas of the game when they have injected new content at levels that have been exceeded by others. Necessary in some cases but for the most part completely not. Wouldnt be a huge deal if it only happened once or twice but the sheer volume of it with no signs of it being curtailed anytime soon is what changed my whole outlook on these games.

On a side note.... i understand why a boss as it rises in level is harder and more expensive to kill but it never made sense to me that we get less and less XP, seems to me the more difficult a boss is to defeat the more XP we should get.

17. Demonik1

im sure that has something to do with the difference in your skill point allocations....jj is built way differently than you are

18. polishpimp

Your probably right but should it be that way? If the drop rate is consistent/constant as Kano says and both of us have allocated enough to the pertinent categories to ensure weve hit the ceiling in terms of XP for our and the bosses level than shouldnt we be producing a similar number of drops?

Myself having higher attack and health it makes sense that it takes me fewer attacks to kill a boss (Also taking into consideration is that one of us may have more/less items that a particular boss may be more vulnerable to), but If we both hit a boss an equal yet large amount of times without killing it we should be getting similar numbers of drops, perhaps off by a percentage point or two not upwards of 10% on a fairly consistent basis.

I wonder if the whole lack of true randomness comes into play here much as it does in other areas of the game such as the battle page refreshing in the arenas and elsewhere. Its been suggested that the drop rate works on some type of algorithm and that clicking in a certain way in terms of timing and pattern actually increase your chances of getting closer to the true drop rate or that the opposite may be true if u click in a certain way. JJ believe it to be true and she pretty consistently out scores me in drop rates. I get that true randomness is impossible to achieve in a program but if there is any truth to this theory one would think Kano could do a little more to balance things out. 10% is a big number when dealing in tens of thousands and is a pretty big deal when considering the significance of some of the drops and their impact on ones numbers.

Take the rival page in the arenas for example, not sure whether youve noticed or not but its obvious to me that players are shuffled in blocks/groups of players rather than individually. Rather than a random mix of players coming up every time you refresh you will find the same players coming up in the same order just somewhere else on your list. The only time this really changes is when a player is killed off and they are no longer in that block of players. The easy solution would seem to be to just shuffle players individually and bring it as close to random as it can be.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  19. Demonik1

youve got a good point there....me? i just keep plugging away no matter what the drop rates are or how many i get from any certain boss. if its a good drop on one level or another, you will see thousands of them in my inventory. you 2 should spend more time playing and less time yapping...throw all that coin around and kill everybody 50 times a day, something, anything. youve built yourselves up enough for it yet you both stay dead most of the time. i cant even call you 2 rivals anymore, theres no rivalry to be had with dead vikings

JADES likes this.
  20. polishpimp

LOL...I hear ya and i wish it was different but I just dont have the time these days and when I do its just not as fun anymore due to the lack of players and all the changes kano has made. In short it just not worth the time, effort to do more for less while most others get more for less