Battle arena>>>why bother???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jared, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

As usual, I was active in the Vikings arena tonight and, as usual, I got killed within 30 minutes, ranking outside the top 100. For the other 3 arena start times, regardless of game, I always rank inside the top 100. In my opinion, there is no reward for being active in the arena other than getting 3 or 4 levels out of it. I might as well take my top 100 inactive ranking and put my stamina to good use somewhere else. I saved up 7 days worth of stamina rewards, and I didn't even get to use them in tonight's arena because I was killed too fast. The results were the same both before and after the slider. The slider does not even the playing field for low to mid level players and just makes the 3 day arena last no more than 8 hours instead of maybe 24 hours. I don't have a solution for how to make it more competitive or encourage twice as many participants to join so that more people have a fighting chance to be active AND rank inside the top 100. Just providing feedback that it seems to be, at least now, a PvPfest for the highest level players in the game to maximize XP for stamina since they don't have a competitive battle list or anything else to do with it other than killing the same bosses over and over in the regular game.

Now I will sit back to see all of the comments about how Kano continues to "stick it" to higher level/long-time players, and that I have no clue what I'm talking about... :p

2. Survival Streak 0

Survival Streak 0 Active Member

The original arena was best, before almost all the updates.

The only update that actually improved it was the character selection/edit name feature. :p

3. slave

slave Member

jared, i wish you could play my character, so you could see first hand what its like to have it stuck to you....

or maybe you dont think i know what im talking about.....

hmm??

4. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

well its probably alot worse now with the attack slider cause it kind of handicaps the higher levels to look for active people no matter what size they are as everyone else is happy with sitting in dmode for the duration of most of it. id like to see it back to the way it was when it first started, back then i would leave the active players alone for the most part just so they could help thin the herd so to speak but the way it is now i just go after whoever isnt in defenseive mode before every other active high level does...sad to see it this way but what else can we do?

5. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Agreed................

6. Larry Skary

Larry Skary Member

...................I agree also

7. why do you guys have such a problem with d stance? Some Vikings didn't add to defense and so their d stance doesn't last that long. While some have massive defense and so they can lie in wait while the herd thins out. Deal with it. You all had the same options when you were building your Vikings and their are perks and drawbacks to the choices you made. Stop crying and play the game in its current format, and stop thinking the rules should be changed simply because you don't like them. If I want to sit in d stance and wait on you to kill each other off that's my choice and if you choose to dump massive amounts of favor points killing off everyone you see on your battle list that's your choice. And guess what we both have a right to play the way we want. And if some people don't like the way you play then you are probably doing something right.This is a battle game after all, And attacking is not the only way to win a battle.

8. polishpimp

Apparently u havent read all the posts on why players are upset with defensive stance times. defensive stance times were fine, Then kano changed the entire arena overnight by implementing the attack slider which cut the length of the arena by 2/3. ...Overnight defensive stance became way more of an advantage than it was. A It promotes inactivity in that players can now ride out the entire arena in defensive stance where they were once only able to ride out a portion of it.

Considering your stance in Lucifers thread I would think u would be against this too. But then again your FB right? Its had a much bigger impact onKP/MS

9. I read all the posts Mr pimpin, here are my thoughts, the slider was implemented to give active attacking players an advantage over those just sitting idle right? Or do I have that wrong too? Anyway it seems that after the slider was implemented you could really do a lot of damage to an opponent in a short amount amount of time, thus reducing snipe kills, or having one player dump loads of stamina trying to get a kill only to have another player swoop in at the end to steal the kill. I thought this was a pretty good idea, because in the first several arenas I was dumping massive amounts of favor points into the arena but really only getting about a third of the kills I should have gotten based on the amount of work I put in. My question is this. Why do you feel like you should have an advantage over the players who are sleeping, working, have lives outside of kano games etc..... Just because a player isn't there for the start of the arena doesn't mean he or she does not deserve to get a reward. Lots of players have spent tons of time and real money building their characters and if some chose to go heavy defense then it just takes a little longer for the actively attacking arena players to be able to take them out. And their rewards are limited if they don't get the minimum attacks, so whats the big deal if it takes you a few more minutes to kill those sitting in def stance than those whos def stance is not quite as long? In my opinion def stance levels the playing field more than any other feature Ive seen in the arena. It allows those that cant be at their comp exactly when the arena starts to still have a chance to play and earn rewards. And active players gain a huge advantage over inactives in xp rewards and battle drops anyway, So whats the big deal if a few defensive heavies wait it out and earn a reward even if they never got one attack in. The time and effort they put into their defensive build should have just as much merit as the 90 percent of Vikings who are attack heavy. And I play on both servers. Justin the unstoppable on Facebook, And they call me murderface on sever2, formerly known as myspace. My Vikings original name was olaf the awesome Viking destroyer on myspace Ive never gotten around to changing my forum profile. Happy Hunting!!!

10. polishpimp

'Why do you feel like you should have an advantage over the players who are sleeping, working, have lives outside of kano games etc..... Just because a player isn't there for the start of the arena doesn't mean he or she does not deserve to get a reward"

Why? Ummmmmm....because they are there and actually playing. The fact that somebody cant be there whether on purpose or circumstances beyond there control is a completely moot point...they simply arent there. Being there is not some type of unearned advantage it just means u showed up. This particular issue has been addressed by Kano with the implementation of multiple different start times. Unfortunately nobody is going to be able to make it on time or at all to everyone of them. I

If a player cant be there for a start of an arena they can always start in defensive stance.....U think its unfair that a player cant make it on time...how long of wait until u think its not fair? Remember...KP arenas only last a few hours.

I have no issue with defensive stance other than its value changed drastically after the implementation of the attack slider. For examples sake...... 3 hrs of defensive mode would only get you though 1/3 of the arena before the attack slider was added. After it was added it could get you through an entire arena. Nobody is disputing that def. stance times werent earned....the dispute is how much of an unearned advantage it now gives them since the addition of the slider. So it has become not about whether or not someone cant make it on time...its become lets not make it on purpose because we can ride it all out in defensive stance until the end...then get our 100 attacks in in a few seconds due to the attack slider and get full rewards for essentially doing nothing but taking advantage of a loophole.

Defensive stance is the only arena attribute that that is measured in time. The Formula in which kano used to determine how much stance one should have depending on their numbers was figured out when the arena lasted much longer than it does now. Since the implementation of the slider the length of the arena has bee greatly reduced so the formula which determines the amount of def. stance one has should have been reduced as well so as to maintain the balance between att and def. built accounts. This would not affect a defensive oriented players advantage they currently have over their attack oriented counter parts as all players would be effected equally.

"And active players gain a huge advantage over inactives in xp rewards and battle drops anyway, So whats the big deal if a few defensive heavies wait it out and earn a reward even if they never got one attack in."

Gaining XP and drops because one is active does not give one an advantage, those are benefits for actually showing up and playing. A player does not need to be attack oriented to get the exact same thing and/or to even rank well...they just need to show up and actually play....what novel concept ....eh?

I am not sure why Kano implemented the attack slider . There was a lot of talk about sniping and the endless supply of inactive accounts players had to wade through. I like the slider but I could live without it for now to make things more balanced. It has made no difference to me other then the length of the arena. I hear some players say that it has helped with sniping but Ive personally not seen any evidence of that. I snipe as many as I ever have and also have as many sniped as I ever did.

"So whats the big deal if a few defensive heavies wait it out and earn a reward even if they never got one attack in. The time and effort they put into their defensive build should have just as much merit as the 90 percent of Vikings who are attack heavy"

The big deal is that this issue will only get worse. Countless players already have 3 hrs plus in defensive stance and those numbers will only continue to grow as will the length of time in defensive stance. How long until players have 6 hrs or more in defensive stance? The idea of the arena was suppose to be for players that like PVP not players that just want to sit and do nothing. The difference is a " defensive heavy" as u called them can sit in Defensive stance the entire time, ...use 100 stamina and rank very well possibly even 1st. (an inactive player has already won), while there attack heavy or more balanced builds that actually want to be active as the arena intended have to actually be at their computer committing time and stamina and possibly FP for the same result. Defensive stance was intended to be used strategically in times of heavy attack....not to be an end all way to ensure success. Defensive heavy players are not nearly as vulnerable as attack heavy players....attack heavy players are sitting ducks once their paltry defensive stance runs out. In the end strong defensive accounts have a a much better chance at doing well for next to nothing in terms of time commitment and resources. If an attack heavy player cant make it in time they will be done in short order due to the lack of defensive stance. A Defense heavy player can still be active and do very well by going into defense after they are finally discovered which may be hours into the arena or they can be inactive and ride out the entire arena and still do well. Advantage ...defensive build.

11. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

The way the arena is now? its just a joke, most just go thru the motions, it was suppose to be PvP but things have changed, its the reason I never really played in 1, I did the first 1 but its gone down hill since then.

12. polishpimp

"u never really played in one"? Either u did or u didnt.... no? Then u say u played the first one? which is it? If u only played the first one then how do u know its "gone down hill"? "the way it is now is a joke"? How would u know if u havent played in it recently.? Why were u saying in the other BA thread that u had been part of "packs" and hunted by "packs"? U spoke and are still speaking as if u r a veteran of many arenas? Are u saying that your elaborate idea for changing the BA in every way is based on one time in the arena? Earlier u were talking about the attack slider as if u had played with it....That came into being waaaaaaay after the first arena. Im starting to see a pattern with you, hopefully the others are seeing it as well.

13. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

Have to explain everything to you right? not writing a book for ya tho - the only battle arena I really tried in was the first 1 !!!

I have joined a few others off n on to see how they went & also do have friends on the game I talk to about different things, you should remember some I was in, I died on you duh!!!! you have to comment on everything mr Kano lol............... this game does not revolve around you, if it did? no one would play lol.....

14. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

& also? I never said a thing about the attack slider, you really need to learn to pay attention more often, might explain why you need everything in book form to understand lol.

15. Ok having read your reply I guess I can see your point, I liked it a lot better before the slider, so if your solution to the problem is removing the slider then I guess im for that. But I don't think its fair to me to shorten my defensive time just because you can kill everyone else before you can kill me and it makes you mad I still get a reward even tho I wasn't as active as other people were.

16. polishpimp

Ty for clarifying.. Died on me? Was this when u were in PIMP? I honestly dont remember that but if u did I certainly didnt ask u to do that but I certainly appreciate it if u did.

LOL...i do like to comment dont I. Believe what u will but I actually give a crap about these games and all its players regardless of level. Like I said previously....something def needs to be done about the arena and parts of your idea might have some merit. I just think u went way to far with it. Its also very important to consider what effect a change will have on an aspect of the game down the road and not just what effect it will have today

17. polishpimp

Ty. I do think that removing it or at least reducing the attack slider to 2 would be the way to go at this point....at least while participation numbers are still low. It will lengthen the duration of the arena and bring defensive stance times a lil bit more back into balance.

They only reason I ever suggested scaling back defensive times is because something still needs to be done to the arena to bring back the balance. I had suggested the attack slider thing on multiple diff occasions and we never heard a peep out of Kano so I came up with another idea in hopes of solving the problem.

Not going to try and convince you to be for cutting back defensive times but I think most people dont understand what Im talking about when I suggested scaling back defensive stance. People tend to think this idea targets high defense players but thats simply not the case. Defensive heavies would still maintain every bit of defensive advantage they had over their attack heavy counterparts. I simply suggested that def. times be scaled back across the board to make them more proportionate with the length of the arena.

For examples sake...you have 3 players. Player A ) has 3 hrs of def. Player B) has 2 hrs of def. Player C) has 1 hr of def. The Def advantage is either 1 hr or in the case of Player A vs Player C its 2 hrs. Now scale back the defensive times by say by 10%, Player A now has 2 hr 36 min. in defense, Player B) 1 hr 48 min, player C) 54 minutes.

Defense has been scaled back but every one maintains their exact advantage of 1 hr or in the case of A vs C it remains at 2 hrs

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

Yeah you ask, almost begged lol - spin it anyway you want - you had my name in there quite a few times, just like all the other names you get r have someone give you, I never did that tho, found that kinda sickening winning that way, its another reason I quit pimp. :p

19. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I think I set a record this time... one level in 10 freakin' minutes and i'm already out... and everyone wonders why inactive players rank so high... it doesn't pay to be active in the arenas anymore... you get more fps and the same xps just sitting there doing nothing for a top 50 ranking while the active players take each other out... why waste the stamina in the arenas unless you're on the first page of the leaderboard? hard to use teamwork to take someone out when you get knocked out in less than a minute, even when you go to defensive stance...

20. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Over 50 players knocked out in less than 30 minutes with less than 150 players to go... I'm thinking the arena won't end for at least 24 hours, and there won't be any inactive players in the top 50 rankings...