Are You Human

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ParashuramaBloodAxeLegend, May 7, 2011.

1. Backwards a bit, I wasn't leveling off her attacking me, she was. I'd lowered my warrior count to allow her to beat me. She wanted to get her Vingolf Boss open, I figured that would be the most expedient way to get to it, and being we're in the same guild, it gives me 1 more vingolf boss to help against while mine is regening.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not sure I disagree with it, but at the same time I have a hard time NOT helping my friends. That just goes to my personality, in or out of game, I always want to help others. Hence the questionable choices in Girlfriends through out my life.

Yes I've been called Captain Save-a-ho

2. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

I applaud Kano for trying to stop bot usage and I understand that they r just trying this and trying to work out any bugs. The facts are...this simply wont work nor is it fair to the honest players out there in its current state.

In its its current form...It will not stop bot use....it may curb its use to some extent as the players using "automated play" will have to stay at there pc and pay attention. In the event that this new system pops up while a bot user is playing...they can answer whatever question it asks much easier than those who r playing honestly.

As stated previously in this thread...its simply unfair that players who work there asses off to heal will basically be penalized by premature death to stop and answer a question. All keyboards, mice, reaction times and typing skills r not created equal. This is completely unfair to those players who have already allocated their skill point to health in part to be able to ride the list longer

An account being frozen immediately after one offense does seem a bit extreme, it doesnt seem to allow for any glitches mistakes or lack of speed. Sure.....a simple math equation seems simple enough....but Ive seen and know some pretty damn stupid and or drunk people on this game...should their slowness or intoxication get them frozen? At least they stayed home rather than go out driving.

I see this new system as being ok for leveling and what not...but not while on bounty. Players already get screwed by the lack of stat accumulation while riding the list. It is a very impressive feat to be able to ride the list for long periods of time...yet those who r attacking get stats while the player riding gets nothing...its as if the the listee is presumed guilty of some horrible wrong and is deserving no stats in addition to the inevitable death.

I think that it may also lead to potential abuse as well...whats to keep players from listing a particular player even more often in hopes said player will screw up and get frozen?

Would it be possible that when this box popped up while on bounty....that it would momentarily freeze game play for the listee and also to not allow the listee to be attacked during this time? For example... Im on bounty and i trigger the pop up box because of excessive healing.....I will be allowed say10 seconds to answer the question, meanwhile ...during that ten seconds i cant be attacked or killed on the bounty...nor will i be allowed to perform any other gaming action. Not only would this allow a player not to die unfairly but also allow them a second to react accordingly while not panicked. Just keep the time frozen to a minimum as to at least force the bot users to to sit at their pcs and pay attention

Just to reiterate...I applaud Kano for addressing the issue automated play....I think this latest attempt can and will curb its use to some extent...but it simply shouldnt be applied to bounties in its current state.

3. i know theres some programs that once you activate them they stay clicking away for a set amount of time.

a program like this will lock out the ability to type or click anything else.that type of autoplay this is PERFECT for

but overall i must agree with polish pimpn on what he said

he might have long posts that take half a century to read but its spot on

4. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Thanks for the feedback.

We will be refining it as we go forward and look to ways to minimize impact on game play.

Right now we have the thresholds set some what high were only 5% of the user base will hit the action thresholds to see these "captchas". We will build smarter logic around it to make some simple decisions on whether or not it is appropriate to show.

From our test so far, I can say that it has been a success to flag to us and collect proof against those that are running some form of automation.

I do hope that the community understands that this is our continuing attempt to address concerns and keep Kano Games fun and fair! We in no way want people to feel offended or think that we are picking on them individually, the same thresholds are applied to all players.

5. Allen Sumaran

Allen Sumaran Member

I agree 100% with Polish on this. In fact, I was going to start my own thread on this but I was too late (as usual) lol. Anyway, KUDOS to KANO for implementing this! This will hopefully be the first step in putting EVERYONE on a level playing field! I also agree that for now,it will probably not totally eliminate BOT use. However, this is a very important first step.

Again, thank you KANO for implementing this very important change!

Allen Sumaran Level 3200 Blessed Thane Viking

6. RjBESTNUB

RjBESTNUB Member

Bad Idea

Bad idea because if someone wasn,t paying attention there assentianaly screwed but good work on trying to prevent bots.

7. yes this does need to be refined.

even if when on bounty attacks get halted for a reasonable amount of time to answer.

and to not freeze someone if they have to refresh the page because(as said earlier) keyboard decides not to work.that does happen

8. polishpimp

"....but Ive seen and know some pretty damn stupid and or drunk people on this game...should their slowness or intoxication get them frozen? At least they stayed home rather than go out driving."

THE DEFENSE RESTS YOUR HONOR!

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Active Member

If you are human you will be ok.

10. no more getting drunk and then on kano games.

11. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

What about the Stoners?

And seriously, who plays this game sober?

12. polishpimp

Im glad to hear at this point its been a success. Im not sure exactly how u gauge that though. Have u actually caught people using automated play? Managing to get frozen via this new system once or even twice doesnt prove anything....are u basing this on a player triggering this response multiple times? This makes sense as it seems unlikely a player would screw it up every time they time they triggered it.

If a player screws up the math or panics and manages to somehow screw up this new security...r they automatically frozen? If so....what do they do then? Contact Kano and say "wtf...i wasnt doing anything wrong" and u unfreeze them?

Another concern I forgot to mention earlier ...is the possible negative effects this might have on an entire guild and its season, If a player accidentally screws up and gets frozen accidentally...it can potentially screw the entire guild on its daily points and could possibly cost them an entire season

Another possible negative...once an account is frozen via accident,glitch etc etc....people will know this and said player will be branded a cheat from that time forward despite it being an accident....do u having something in place to protect those players? How about instead of automatically freezing these accounts...once triggered...a notification is then sent to Kano..this way the player is spared the embarrassment and false accusations if Kano deems that it was an accident rather than bot usage while still allowing u to investigate.

My apologies if im coming across as overly critical, I love the idea but I just see alot of potential problems. I understand and appreciate that u will continue to refine it. It is certainly a problem worth ridding the game of. TY!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  13. Allen Sumaran

Allen Sumaran Member

Grim, it is a real simple question. It happened to me yesterday and I just had to answer it relatively quickly. I gives you a minute or so to respond. You just have to pause your healing. It's no big deal, and it if keeps everyone honest, why not??

14. Allen Sumaran

Allen Sumaran Member

Beil, speak for yourself LMAO. I'm ALWAYS sober when I play. Playing when I am tipsy has proven to be disastourous for me and others lol

15. A thought occurred to me on my way to work this morning. A friend of mine had called wanting to know if I had a copy of a hands free program he and I had written(I didn't that hard-drive is fried). A drunk driving accident (he was the dummy who was drinking and driving) cost him his left arm. Two years ago, he broke his right hand (again being quite foolish) which left him unable to type.
    There are programs out there for this, however he and I both being computer geeks decided to make our own.

The hands free program works like many macro programs in that it's told what to look for, finds it, and clicks it without mouse or keyboard interface. I doubt anyone without any hands to use is playing this game, however the possibility is not 0. My understanding of other programs and the way the program we wrote worked, if he was saying "attack attack attack attack" and this message popped up, it would likely be clicked away before he could see it.

Again I doubt anyone using such software plays Kano Apps, but again, it is not an impossibility.

I do stand by my approval of this program, but I do see where a few tweaks may be needed.

I would suggest instead of a pop up, a different screen appears. Allow players to still heal/hoarde, but put the question there with a timer, I'd say 5 minutes would be enough time to find a second to click down on it, and answer a question, to restore normal game play. If the question is not answered in the 5 minutes (unforseen freak coincidence) a message to Kano Support would restore normal gameplay.

16. polishpimp

Apparently this new program is looking for more than just attacks and/or healing. I just received it 3 times in a 25 min period while stalking the bounty page.

The scariest part....each and every time it appeared the math problem changed... I can almost guarantee that this is going to create a problem if someone is tired, buzzed, distracted or hurried because their healing on the bounty list.

I dont even have a gaming mouse....3 times in 25 minutes...really?????

17. kennycjr

kennycjr Member

you go around asking if ladies would like some of your polish sausage? idk, i'd guess that'd be kind of old in poland, or eastern europe, does it work in western europe? then again, prob only if it's not actually a lady.

18. kennycjr

kennycjr Member

haven't come across this yet, but then i don't click like mad either. why don't they just join the bot checker with the "we're sorry, but vc will commence reloading now?"

19. Thank you Kano!! Thats something that this game has needed for a long time to stop the cheaters!!! Those of us that dont use bots have no fear whatsoever of it "Accidentally" happening to us,hahahhahaah I'm sure Kano has tested this system and retested it, so maybe if people are using some type of auto play they will be caught red handed!! Great Job Kano..

20. polishpimp

Apparently this new system is activated by the amount of time your on as well? So how long?

I was playing my game then went to a different window for awhile....when i came back to the game....the math problem was waiting for me, my question is how long can that box sit there unanswered b4 im frozen. My guess is that u wont answer that question for obvious reasons, so should we be logging out of our games every single time we leave for a few minutes? If so...thats just great....theres nothing i want more than to let my enemies know that Im not around to defend myself.