April 27th Update: Health Baseline for Battles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kendall, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Everyone- we have learned some lessons here and continue to do so, our goal with the skills is to make them all more important, right now people playing up to level 1000 without investing anything into health is an issue that needs to be addressed and will. So raising the cost of healing, tying XP gained to damage dealt or making people die easier are some of the ways this can be accomplished. We plan to release more features where Att/Def will play an important role as they do in boss battles.

As for reallocating skills, we continue to add new achievements to existing and new features (bosses as an example). For VC, all coop bosses will add +200 skill points to the skill point economy, to balance the skill point economy we need to make some tweaks to the roles the attributes play in the game.

2. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

if you want to raise the cost of healing, you'd best actually have healing heal you completely. Healing for only 2/3rd of your health is really damn annoying. You attack someone, then again, and again, and with some bad luck thats the point where you need to heal again. It really puts a damper on your gaming speed.

3. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

sorry if i've missed it but have you come up with a date when you'll be putting the health change back in?

4. is this Att/Def rule is about normal battle fights between two players ? as they do in boss battles :)
    thanks Kendall this is important part in game i think :cool:

5. this needs to be re enforced again.too many low health players mooching off high health players.they need to die easier if there health isnt at a certain point.

6. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

Yes. If they ignore basic character building rules, they need to face repercussions. Give them low xp for battles and give high health players high xp for fighting them. The lower your health is, the lower your xp payout is.

And to make this fair, there should be a health span that is considered "level-appropriate" to stop people from increasing health extremely so everyone they attack has lower health and therefore gives good xp. Only those under the recommended health for the level should give better xp. And there the rule should be, the lower the health, the higher the xp payout.

As it is now, low health players can harass higher health players near endlessly. And countering them gives only abysmal xp, so this is no option, either. And if you can't afford to list them, you will have to deal with them mooching of you somehow. And listing is an issue for me on FB. I'm playing 12 days there. I don't have the coins to hitlist someone for over 120B, cause I make not even 100B each day from income.

Just today my FB viking was attacked continuously by a low health player. I don't have very high health there, 3000+, but this guy had at most 150 health. Countering brought me only 23 xp. Bounty was too expensive. And really, getting attacked dozens of times in a row is rather annoying, especially if you managed to find a nice battle target with good xp drops and you're currently battling this person. And then such a gnat steps in and annoys you. And you can't get it off your back.

Maybe you can make the damage dealt and the damage taken proportional. Meaning, if 1 player loses 20% of his/her health in a close battle, the other player loses 20% of his/her health, too. Health is no longer an issue, cause mooching of high health players becomes impossible.

And my fun suggestion still stands. If you attack a low health player (for example 100 health at level 500, your health is 3500), you will deal only 1 health damage and receive 1 health damage + 95xp. Let's see how long they like playing pounding toys. And of course they get only abysmal xp from counters.

Let's see how they like to be on the receiving end of such a thing. After all, they can complain that they die easier to stop a needed change, but that they annoy hundreds of players, they ignore.

As I said in another threat, it is a basic RPG rule that overlooking/ignoring a stat has repercussions, health especially. So please implement repercussions to make the game more fair.

There are repercussions for ignoring att/def and stam, so why not health?

Energy has nothing to do with battles, so we can safely ignore it. Most people have between 500 and 1000 Energy, because in the end, you don't need more.

And Energy to xp ratios are horrible. My FB viking has an Energy to xp ratio of 1 to 1,533. My myspace Viking has an Energy to xp ratio of 1 to 2,452.

To compare, my max stam to xp ratio is 1 to 95 (FB) and 1 to 198 (myspace). And I'm not sure if that is the max xp I can get from battles on my Levels.

To close it. Please implement repercussions for low health again! We high health players think that it is unfair that low health players are near impossible to kill with axe slaps, give abysmal xp when countered and can generally make our lives unpleasant!

There are repercussions for:
    too high health (axe slaps deal increasingly more damage, multiple slaps will kill you)
    overly high def (few will be willing to attack you at all and all others will hide from you)
    abysmal defense (anyone can beat you)
    too high attack (xp payout drops)
    too low attack (you lose more battles)
    too low stam (you can't battle so often)

So why are there no repercussions for too low health? Please bring back repercussions and ignore the whining of people who chose to annoy others.

Dying easier or getting minimal xp for battles would be good repercussions. And please let them take more damage through axe slaps. I'm not saying that a 100 health player should receive 20 HP slaps, but maybe 10 points would be a good incentive to increase health a bit.

Stamina can't be too high.

7. Apekiller

Apekiller Member

So we're talking about extremely low health players mooching of normal/high health players and we're in agreement that this needs to be stopped. They are overpowered and need to be nerfed.

Like Das liebe Beil said above, there are absolutely no repercussions for having health too low. None whatsoever.

A summary of what having low health means:
    - can attack another player a minimum of a few hundred times
    - almost impossible to kill (the ONLY, I repeat the ONLY way is with a bounty)
    - can recover xp lost from a bounty immediately since he can make a few hundred attacks just on 1 target
    - gives bad xp at counters against him
    - get to piss off the other players in range
    - bad xp from bosses (oh, I bet they care)

...a fix for this, please?

8. how bout if low health player attacks they lose 90% of there health this way they HAVE to keep healing after every single attack.this will force them to raise health for sure.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  9. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

lol, nice suggestion.

But really, we need to adress the Health Question. Low Health has no downsides that really matter, but many upsides. There is a need to balance this out. So far the game favors the low-health build, not even bosses are enough of an incentive to change that.

10. Eric Thunderbone

Eric Thunderbone Active Member

Once you add them in the game, delete them from your friends list in Facebook (or MySpace). You will still have them in your clan in the game. I have all 1000 chieftain spots from adding people full and only ONE of those people is still a Facebook friend

11. I have no idea really how you would code this, I can think of several possible ways, but my PHP isn't that great.

If a player's health is less than 75% of the player they are attacking or being attacked by.

Drop attack/defense by 25% Sliding according to the difference if their health is 50% of the attacking/defending player then give them a negative 50% attack/defense.

Then use the same system with XP calculations. If attacking a player with 75% or less of your health, your xp gain, should you win, goes up 25% sliding thusly.

this would then settle the entire issue in the PvP portion of the game. It would not work for Axeslaps, only player vs player fights.

This method, to me, seems the most fair way to deal with the issue.

Players with low health have massive attack/defense and thusly are practically immune to reprisal because they know they will win the fights and the attacer will get crappy experience. Now those players would be likely to win more, and get the xp they'd been robbed of previously. The low health players could still attack the high health players far more often before putting the high health player in the hospital, thus letting them pad their stats to their hearts content.

I really don't see a downside to this:
    The high health players would continue to get their xp from the fights and be back on even footing with the low health players.... unless a low health player also neglected other stats to increase their attack/defense even more. in which case the higher health player isn't likely to have to deal with that player very long cause they won't be leveling anytime soon.

Thoughts, Criticisms, accolades, Condemnation ??

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  12. SkylerF

SkylerF Member

I can't think of anything specific to say, this is a good idea, nicely stated.

13. Uncharming

Uncharming New Member

Another option could be that low health to level ratio people gain their energy and stamina back much slower. Example: a level 1000 person with 100 health will take 10 times as long to gain their stats back. This ratio should only be a penalty to low Health people, and not a benefit of increasing health. You could even have a similar ratio with other numbers. Since you do get 5 skill points per level and increasing health increases it by 10's make it a level 1000 person needs 5,000 health or their stats take longer to regenerate. Trust me, people who fight want their Stamina to increase at a reasonable rate. People who mainly do adventures want their energy to increase at a reasonable rate.

14. all new changes and this one gets reverted................

something needs to get done about low health mooches

15. this one is a constant annoyance how someone can neglect health

they then mooch off those with even average health

set a ambush they award not even 50 exp some of them

if anything the low health should get less exp

and the higher health should get rewarded with more exp

why does the average/high health player need to suffer cause someone wants to mooch

oh the low health gets terrible exp off bosses

like they really care

16. geff gur

geff gur Member

when i realized that health significantly influenced the amount of damage done to bosses, i started raising mine in all apps immediately.. raising stats is an extremely delicate balancing act in the games. raising just one all the time can make a character weaker overall than raising 1 most of the time, 2 regularly, and the rest occasionally.

17. Level 1351 Warrior Viking

not even the 3rd achievement for health

seriously if your over level 1000 and you dont have at least the 3rd health achievement something needs to get done

18. malific

malific Member

Yeah this is old and I know it, but since it got brought up again I´ll reply with some game mechanic facts.

There are quite a lot of downparts for having low health... Namely:
    -NO HUNTING! How do you expect to hunt somebody off the list by dealing 30 damage to them, when they have their health in the big thousands? Odds are you won´t ever get a good bounty unless you manage the last hit, even if you have 5k attack. Don´t forget the maximum damage you can deal on a fight is 29.7% of your health.
    -No punching help. As some of you may know, punch damage can go from 1 to 5% of the maximum health of either your character and your enemies. So anyone using low health will not be a threat when punching.
    -You have to rely on your squad for boss hunting, since you won´t be able to take down almost anything by yourself. Also you´ll have trouble when helping in other Viking boss fights to get more geared up, since minimum damage will take a LOT to achieve.
    -You get crap XP from fights... Yeah, all right, you manage to attack your enemy 40 times before he goes into hospital, but what if he starts fighting somebody else? You only got two or three blows in and he got into hospital, and the XP you get is crap. I myself stay hidden unless I have a reason to go out if some low health viking is attacking me, just to piss them back off. ;)
    Of course this could be turned into an advantage if the other player´s offline or not paying attention since you can harvest him good.

As for healing costs: At my level I´m paying about 500k a heal at first (saw it go up to a couple millions after a while) and getting over 200 billion an hour out of income, so I don´t see how it should actually affect something.

The only thing I do not like the way it is now, is the high health player getting low XP just because the enemy has lower health. I´d change that so people over a certain health amount (let´s say 10 points per level) get full XP off any fight, and the people who have a lower health stat have their fight XP nerfed, but still give full XP payout to high level people. Leave the other drastic measures (like getting killed easier) aside since they affect the way you built your Viking.

BTW, any high defense Viking with a large enough squad can defend from fight kills regardless of health and the only way of killing would be listing/getting a punch party on them. It has nothing to do on how they invested into health.

19. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Warning:We have a thread necromancer alert.A thread necromancer has the ability to revive old threads that everyone forgot about.They have power beyond that of Eddie :D
    But yes this does need to get looked at again.I made a thread somewhere on this as well.I was a level 500 and my opponent was a 500.I set a counter and got 39 exp from it.A big waste.

20. yaya im a thread necromancer sue me :eek:

well yeah this does need looking at again