Cheating, what is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kel the Merciful King, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

I would like to know what cheating in this game is, in all its lovely dimensions.

I have experienced people using one computer and multiple accounts to "fight".

I have experienced people using one computer and multiple accounts to "list" and try for the bounty they "listed".

What gets people thrown out from VC? What gets people thrown out from FB? And who does it? The Devs or FB? Are there sanctions v. throwing people out?

Thank you for your opinions.

2. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

Well, since I've been accusing at least 1 person of cheating lately, guess I should start it off.

1) playing with more than 1 account. You get one myspace/facebook account when you sign up to those sites, and VC is no different. You are only allowed to use one account. No, I dont believe "finding the maze in the rules" is allowed when you have both a facebook AND myspace account, allowing you to have 2 VC accounts. No.

2) using overseen flaws in the game that allows you to attack people who are far, far below your own level. No, I dont mean if they attacked you before or something like that. I mean that somehow, you are able to attack someone 300-600 levels below yourself without them having attacked/bountied you in the past couple of days (at least a week).

Well thats basically it. Everything else, like 1 account bountying and the other account taking the bounty... well its applies to #1.

3. Sigdrifa

Sigdrifa New Member

I've given this subject a lot of thought because I try to play cleanly and fair.

I live in a Viking Clan household - my husband and I both play. He is at a significantly lower level than myself, but he's not my mini. He levels himself up and fights his own battles. I admit to helping him with axe slaps/bounties as needed, but apart from that (and obviously being in my inner circle) he's on his own.

There are supposedly a lot of people who play who do have multiple Viking Clan accounts and I find this fascinating and disturbing. I can barely keep up with one account, never mind several. That being said... I consider it cheating if you start another account yourself with the purpose of leveling yourself up - in other words, leveling with yourself. I have no problem with people who actually have a legitimate leveling partner and I have seen no prohibition against such, but I think leveling with oneself constitutes cheating. Not that I can wrap my head around how this would be done, but I assume there are those in the game who do.

As far as what actions the devs should take... well it appears they're not really taking any actions against using multiple VC accounts from what I can tell. Apart from that one guy who quit at level 720 or whatever he was, and I'm still not sure if he quit voluntarily or got banned since that was before my time in the game. Penalising cheaters is difficult because of the number of VC households that are out there and people who use the same computer or ISP, so I think that's why the devs don't take a stronger approach, but it does seem like more needs to be done.

Thank you for asking this question, I think it needs to be discussed (in a calm, rational manner) more often than it is. :)

4. Viscious

Viscious New Member

Would you consider it cheating if you were to play with your husband? Lets say you wanted him to catch up to you so you both could level together in the game. So you let him take a bunch of levels off of you as you heal for him. Why is this different than if I were to let a friend do the same? I also think that all these cheating accusations are making the new people nervous. In my 45 years of life experience its usually the ones crying cheat that are in fact cheating themselves. Not that I care to dig deeper into that ... Also if you do not understand a game as much as some then you may feel like that person has to be cheating. As you learn the process you may come to realize you just didnt have the experience to do as the other person could do at the time. I say try and keep the cheating accusations down a bit and concentrate on having a bit of fun. Some families enjoy playing games together. Also maybe we can let the devs work on these new features and stop running to them with cheater accusations.

5. good cooment

good comment ;)

6. Sigdrifa

Sigdrifa New Member

"Would you consider it cheating if you were to play with your husband? Lets say you wanted him to catch up to you so you both could level together in the game. So you let him take a bunch of levels off of you as you heal for him."

I wouldn't and I know a few couples who do level together, but my husband is level 100 and I am in the 1400s so that's not possible at all right now.

7. Eddie

Eddie Member

No I would not say that is cheating. I know a lot of people who do that

8. Sigdrifa

Sigdrifa New Member

Ya leveling with your spouse/significant other/whatever is not cheating. I _wish_ my husband was at a level high enough to level with me... then I could ask my friends for help and axe slap him and stuff... LOLOLOL... OK that's bad :p

9. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

Cheating? Nope. WHy would it be, you're not violating any rules. At best you could argue about it being cheap, but lets face it... I think most people have a leveling buddy in this game. I personally don't have a regular leveling buddy, but there have been people I fought against so many times and gained so many levels from, I could just as well call them that. Simply because we both gained loads of levels from one another and didnt really battle a lot of other people.

10. Eric Maximus

Eric Maximus Member

Hallelujah!

I have been playing online games for well over 10 years. Cheating has always been a hot topic. About 6 months ago I added a few Kano apps (VC/PC) to play, I have seen many come and go in that time, and have noticed the different styles of play. Maybe I was blind at first, but only noticed about 3 months ago, the use of leveling partners/groups on both VC/PC. I first noticed it it on Pirate Clan, when I saw many people below me suddenly jump up many levels in just a few days, many even in my own clan. I'm not one to sit on the clan feed like some are, lol, but one night I noticed many were open about doing it... almost bragging. I admit it bothered me and I questioned how this would effect the integrity of the game. I did contact Kano and in a nutshell.. It is not illegal.
    When you play with family or friends then play and have fun!
    I do agree with another user that mentioned that when one has mulitple accounts to level or harrass others then not only is that cheating... it is in his/her words "disturbing".
    Just a little tip on finding these multi-accounts 1) check register date of player, 2.) check the players page (usually with a fake pic and crudely made). They will usually use alt accounts to bounty or harrass, simply check register date and it's very easy to find their pages. Then just report it to Kano. It's not fool proof, but at the very least identifies those that violate the terms of use. I know of one guy admitting to have 10 accounts and bragging how he will make it hell for some (24/7)... Now that's Dis-turb-ing!

Finally, let's not forget this is a social-networking game (got it?).

11. youre all cheaters, every last one of you sons of bastards!!!

haha

12. Hel

Hel New Member

Would you consider it cheating if you were to play with your husband?

:eek:

13. Bots !!!

yea husband friend wife its ok but some players use bots like luv2show level 1900+ healing 3 days non stop how is that if not true than how can u heal everytime any min -3 days no sleep or under some drugs lol ?

must be giving lots $$$ donations to vc if developers cant see that haha

thats cheating !!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  14. Gavin

Gavin Member

I agree with Para I have seen this too, and many others have too. Since his name is out already yes Luv2Show has been healing up like he's on the bounty, attack him at a slow pace and you can use up all your stamina and get no attack back at you... very strange. Also he's leveling bot partners can now be implicated in this use of a script/bot. 2 others are his partners and I don't know if there using bot too but of the two one definitely maybe, the other I don't think does... And if that's true he should let the dev's know of this bot use. You know who you are. bot's have ruined other app's so why let it ruin this app.

15. Dolly

Dolly New Member

I KNOW they're using health bots and it's cheating

Two days ago I found out that Horns of steel magnus barelegs and lomaximo had auto-healing bots when I hemmed them in and prevented them from leveling up against each other. My leveling partner and I were wondering how they were doing it so quickly and after he logged off for the night, I found out. They take turns with each other's bots. I guess Horn's had set it up and walked away and didn't see who was using it and I went up several levels before I figured it out and many before I finally quit. Then lomaximo came on and I tried his out. Same thing. It really sickened me. The next day, I saw Olen Thorbjo on the board just big as you please so I went up a level on his bot, but i had to use 5 boosts each time. No change on his health either. I have spoken to other players who tell me Olen has invited them to level up as has Luv2show and implicated Eddie and DanDada as being their leveling partners in crime. It makes no sense to cheat and shows a lack of respect for the leaders of this game who did it the right way. I would NEVER disrespect them in such a fashion. I know a lot of players may think I'm crazy, but I was thrilled when I was accepted into their clan. lol But to bring shame to this great game and bring it down to the level of the other games is dispicable. Death to cheaters, I say!

16. Gavin

Gavin Member

Thanks Dolly, I'm starting a new thread on this very subject. please add your comments again, I think it will help.

17. self healing bots

I agree dolly and Parasurama, there are some people on here who want to get the highest level they can as fast as possible, without doing the hard work to get there!
    Hey even with a leveling partner it takes alot of time to go up levels, especially after lvl 1850 when the xp double. I play almost 7 days a week for a few hours a day at night and can only go up a few levels now. I see other people who were behind me and they have suddenly gone up 100 levels in 1 or 2 days, yes they are playing with someone who has a self healing bot. I think this cheapens the game and people who need to cheat need to leave this game alone and go to one of the other games that people dont give a crap about !!!
    You people who are doing this need to STOP and play and heal just like all the rest of us do, put the time in and the work, and let your fingers fall off like ours have who are real players and not looking for a free ride.

18. gene illugi

gene illugi Active Member

healing bots and leveling partners

ok, using healing bots is cheating.

i have encountered two people using them. lomaximo and horns of steel. i know this because while battling them at one time or another i was able to continually battle them with no return hits. they kept healing as fast as i could empty their health. i had to stop because i was gaining levels and i felt guilty about it. unlike the cheaters.

i have been told of others using bots but i haven't the personal experience to provide evidence. i have spent many hours attaining the level i've achieved and i don't appreciate people cheating to get passed me without putting in the work.

leveling partners

yes, i have a leveling partner. and to those lower level players who believe this to be cheating i say it fine for you with many to battle at all the hours of the day and night but we at the higher levels don't have that advantage. as you will find out for yourself if and when you reach these levels. and leveling also gives us the chance to interact with other players. remember this is a social network. i use it to meet people and have some fun. so should you.

to the cheaters i say, go to some other game if you want to cheat. i'm told there are games were they like cheaters. this isn't one of them.

to the developers i say death to cheaters.

19. I like this topic - here players explain how to see difference from bot users and normal players
    and yes Kill the bots or bug and cheaters who don't show respect to good game = should be taken of Viking Clan

20. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

I would not, provided they stay out of each others account. You do need a "partner" in the game to get all the achievements, if not a very cooperative viking willing to exchange with you achievements (consecutive victories).

For example, I watched one husband and wife team last night, where the husband was at work and offline in the hospital. Then he was axed, then amazingly shortly afterward, he came online, still in the hospital. Axed hourly, then when close to the death, he healed, and was off to attack the wife, to then be put back in the hospital, safe from an axe kill.

To me, that is a no no. Hypothetically.

He could have for example logged in from work (separate IP address from "normal").

Did they necessarily share their password? No. The husband's computer could have been left on but VC off. On an hourly check in, after seeing the axe, he was left "online" in VC to better babysit his account.

It could also have been done on the same computer too. If the the dev software could detect the MAC address of the NIC, they would be toast.

This latter step would be on my wish list to catch the worst offenders in my opinion, and also clear those who are accused of cheating using multiple accounts i.e. if they are cheating, logging into two accounts at once, on the same computer, the MAC address would tell the story. The common IP address would also catch remote partners logging into the others' account. Toast. Goodbye. If they are not cheating this way, the fact they are still in the game, this would tell the rest of the world, they are not doing this type of cheating at least.

Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting thread with a spinoff thread or two, with lots of angst and accusations :)