[VC] A Word On Kano's Stance Regarding Bots, Cheating and Scripts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mi7ch, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Hi all,

We’ve been seeing a lot of talk recently about bots, scripts and various other methods of cheating, more so than usual, so I thought I would take a minute here to try and address some of these concerns.

It’s an unfortunate and very real fact that cheating is a common concern in all games and Viking Clan is no exception. We have several checks and policies in place to deal with players who break the Terms of Use, and we deal with them when we find them. We also understand that from a player’s perspective it’s easy to assume that someone playing suspiciously is violating the ToU, but this is not always the case.

There are several aspects of the game that may be prime targets for auto-clickers. The Battle Arena is one and we'll be ramping up our detection in that feature as well as looking to add a bit more strategy to it. We'll be looking for feedback from players on this in the coming weeks.

If you find an outside party promoting a bot or script, please bring it to our attention so we can take the appropriate actions. In almost all cases these forms of cheating are simply a way to grab account or personal information so this puts you at risk both personally and in the game. Installing a third-party script is very dangerous in any context and using them in our games is no exception.

Outside of the accounts frozen for using bots and scripts that are caught by our own systems, we also get reports from players about cheating, but sometimes players don’t have all the information. Support has a variety of tools available to dig down into accounts and find out exactly what is going on and all of our freezes are the result of many hours of investigation. What might look like a violation of the Terms of Use from the outside often has a very benign explanation.

We appreciate players reporting any suspicious activity they see to us, but most of the time these reports are false positives. Players should absolutely keep sending in reports of suspicious activity when they see it, but they should also be aware that in-depth investigations into accounts don’t always turn up cheaters because they’re not actually breaking the ToU.

In summary, please don’t use bots or scripts or anything else because we will find and ban your account. We do not condone the use of any game-altering third-party programs in any fashion, despite what some conspiracy theorists may think. The bottom line is that we want these games to be fun for our players and cheating runs completely counter to that goal.

2. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

So does this mean u will not be returning the "skull heal" tab back to the way it was? Is the plan to do something similar to this latest "tweaking" in the arena? How about adjusting the number of attacks on the attack slider to be more in line with number of players actually participating. This way if some prick wants to cheat they wont eliminate 2/3 of the field in no time flat using a bot and the 3 attack slider. What ever u guys decide to do with the arena...I sure hope its known to all us players well in advance of any arena it might be implemented in. Ide be pissed as hell to have joined an arena only to find out after the fact youve made it as unbearable as the skull heal tab. Some of us all ready have to deal with the excessive handicaps while others get to inflate their stats at our expense....the last thing we need is for Kano to come in and handicap us even further by slowing the faster clicking players down and once again giving less adept players another leg up

3. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

We'll revisit the Rival Heal button and any changes to the Arena when the time comes. Right now the purpose of this thread is to reiterate our zero-tolerance policy for breaking the Terms of Use.

Separate threads will be made for the other topics so we don't get everything all mixed up into one big thread. :)

4. polishpimp

okie dokie...lol

5. polishpimp

Yeah.... them bastards must be cheating....I cant imagine it has anything to do with them being some of the top players...that would just be absurd ;)

6. A good place to start would be the lower levels that are able to ride the bounty list or the guys that quadruple their bounty kills in a couple of months (mostly over the weekends or during Kano's off hours). Just my opinion.

7. Zvonimir Bojkovic

Zvonimir Bojkovic New Member

There you go KANO.
    Now start the investigation.
    I demand.

8. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Hi guys, just a quick word here. As I said in my original post, if you're not cheating then you have nothing to worry about. We can tell when someone is playing well by using their own skills and abilities. We're not going to investigate people simply because they're top ten in the Arena. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.