[VC] A few ideas for the Arena!

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Adam Maguire, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

A little while ago, there was a thread in the general discussion about evening up the Arena.
    Some people believe it was never said that small players could take on the big players and win but I assure you it was. I specifically remember because I said I could take down certain people there when I read it. However, I cannot remember where the information I read it from was and so the point is moot.
    There is no hope of me taking down the big players as it stands and quite frankly, I don't care anymore. But these suggestions would help with that as well as help open the winning of it up to more than a handful of players.
    I am specifically talking about the Viking Arena on FB before anyone argues.

The main problem with the Arena in my opinion is that it's a downhill struggle the whole time.
    For example, I killed a player this morning who had just under 1,500,000,000 health. It cost me over 600,000,000 health. The reward was 206,442,000 Health. I lost 400,000,000 health just to take that player down who was inactive.
    The problem is I lost so much with a small reward.

The first idea I have is to give every person no matter their level 50,000,000 health every time they get a level while in the Arena.
    How that combats both problems of the downward slope and the bigger player factor is this:
    It is a bigger reward for killing people over all but based on xp so rewarded every 2 or more kills depending on level.
    Lower levels will level faster as it takes less xp and therefore get more of this reward than the biggers, making them feel like they have a fighting chance against them.
    And it makes it more plausible that they could make the right kills to put in a winning challenge.

Now before people say, anyone can just go and level to give themselves an advantage... Leveling requires healing for the partner to hit back & in the players absence, they could easily be killed so moot point.
    What about defensive mode while leveling. It's time dependent and not much leveling could be done in the time it takes.
    The fact is, everyone is still killable regardless.

The next idea is to multiply the health won per battle when below starting health by 4. Turn 25,000 into 100,000 health. Every 2 or 3 battles, you're likely to lose over 1,000,000 health even if that person is miles below you on stats, therefore slowing down the suicide and giving people more of a fighting chance against the downhill slope.

Now to help prove the point about the downhill slope and the hopes of winning being nil with just a long suicide for small players, my stats for the arena are below. I had 2kills stolen on me. 1 had a 500,000,000 mil reward where I spent about 800,000,000 and it changed my tournament. Nobody beat on me or anything. My overall loss of health was through me trying to kill people to gain health.
    I am nearly level 5000

Lizling Killer
    Health 148,159,605
    Attacks 35,817
    Kills 37
    Wins 30,247
    Losses 5,586
    Biggest Attack 2,667,829 damage

The maths don't add up to give everyone a fair chance. Simple as that. The big players don't have the trouble with losing too much against smaller players and so build up a big health base.

Which brings me to the third suggestion which I know will be discarded but I'll make it anyway as there's no need for any other change if this happens.

Remove the Weapons and Warriors from the perk attributes.
    Put all perk attribute based on percentage of skill point placement and everybody will be working off the same base which makes it a pure survival of the fittest brawl.

I got 43levels out of the Arena which is the only thing that makes participating worth while because I can't compete to win. In my opinion, I need to be at least level 10,000 to try.

2. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

First of all, any change is gonna be across the boards for all games, and if attacking and inactive with a small health reward is not worth your time or stamina, then why do it , leave it for a lower level whom it might help, IMO any arena that gives you 43 levels is fine the way it is. Lower levesl are just gonna have to work the game and get higher just like anyone else.

3. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

I think you missed my point. It's a downhill slope. The only way to win is to be big. That kill I had stolen from me was late in the Arena and it was the first person that the thief had attacked. The babies come in late, hoping to kill steal to try survive to the rewards. They don't earn it. At that stage, the only people who are alive to kill are the ones who cost more than they give because all kills where the reward justifies the kill are gone. That's the why do it. Or just sit there twiddling my thumbs.
    My opinion is based on VC FB because that's the one I play. There are 3players who can win unless they let someone else win.
    The maths behind the Arena is fundamentally wrong if only 3 have a chance at winning.

4. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

One could also note that the 50,000,000 increase per level should make more people active from the start of the Arena as everyone would be able to build up a cushion of health. More activity means more fun :cool:

5. Relentless

Relentless Active Member

I hear a lot of people saying low levels can't do any good in Arena. That is bull. It just takes work. When i finally hit level 660, my first two Arenas were pretty bad. I hated it and thought it was really unfair, then for my third Arena i spent the day playing. I ended up getting about 20 kills (On MS that was pretty good), ever since then, if i have played, i have had a top 20 finish. Most of the time i get 10th and the highest i have gotten is 7th. The most levels i have done in an Arena was 66 i believe and i'm on level 1146.

I know the odds of me getting a top 5 rank are pretty much non existent but i can't complain when i'm getting some good levels and still finding a spot in the top 20. Like all things, you've gotta put in some effort.

6. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Well I put in the effort.. Best I've done is 9th.. For not playing. That's right, all I did to survive was wait and then hit def mode. Because If you're not active and start with over a bil health, you won't get touched as the reward doesn't justify the means unless you're a big player who doesn't lose any. And even they save the people with over a bil health until the last. I guess Myspace and Facebook have a different caliber of player. You also just said yourself.
    "I know the odds of me getting a top 5 rank are pretty much non existent but i can't complain when i'm getting some good levels and still finding a spot in the top 20. Like all things, you've gotta put in some effort."
    The less effort, the higher finish. Those who want to play and do well get screwed by the health setup. Maths can't lie.

7. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Why argue without reading what I post fully? It's aggravating.
    Look nobody who spends more health than they gain has a chance. End of story. Therefore ONLY the people who don't lose, have a chance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  8. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So why not add to your own health , the arena's have been around long enough for players to add to their health and thus have a better chance . It is not fair to players who have done that , to be handicapped and make it an even playing field. But I do feel the sniping is very annoying, and when a lower level does it over and over , while alot of us watched, barely spent any stamina, while other took down the players they sniped, but unfortunately it is a "strategy". (using the term loosely). :( and sniping has really turned me off to the arena.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  9. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Adding to your health gives you more to start with but still you go downhill. Doesn't fix that particular part. The sniping, I could live with if I didn't lose so much health killing people in the 2nd half of the Arena. Back to my downward slope argument.
    The 50,000,000 health bonus per level does not take away from the higher players though. It adds to it for them. They get more attacks on the smaller people and therefore more xp but also get the reward of 50,000,000 per level themselves. It's a win all round. The only difference is it comes faster for lower levels.

10. God of Bacon

God of Bacon Member

1 star. I've been pulling in top tier finishes since before I was level 1000. Sure I'm not going to get first place anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I don't do well. I'm not big, and I give people a run for their money.

11. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

no vote cause i dont like the idea but i have to agree with you 100% about the downhill slope...there were quite a few that i took down that took more than i gained, especially toward the end when my stams were dwindling and the good kills were gone....something doesnt seem right there

12. Adam Maguire

Adam Maguire Member

Here's another idea to help with it as an instead.
    Make the arena that if you can beat somebody, you beat them, no losses. and if you can't, you can't. It won't change the winners but at least there'll be a real fight involved.