Facebook Offsite Game Policy Change update

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Wonder Bread, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

As mentioned in this post (<--click this post to view the forum post) Facebook announced some policy changes that will affect the offsite version of our games on Facebook. For those of you unfamiliar with the off-site versions, they're version of our games that are accessible without going through Facebook, although you do still need a Facebook account to create an account, as it connects through FB Connect.
    In the previous thread, I mentioned we were looking into two possible options. We have decided to go with the second option, which basically means that very little will change for players that use the off-site versions.

Players will have to connect to a new Facebook connect app, although you will still be using the same account to play. Once you've activated the new FB Connect, you will be able to log in to the off-site version just as before. To help ease this transition, the URL fb.kanogames and any game URLs will automatically redirect to the new URL. What this means is that if you have the off-site version bookmarked in your browser or on your mobile device you won't have to change anything.

Unfortunately, because of the policy changes, some social features will be unavailable on the new off-site version of the games:
    -Players won't be able to send external Facebook user requests, features such as gift, and invite requests cannot be sent as a Facebook notification, but will still show up as in-game alerts.
    -Players won't be able to view Facebook friend lists for inviting new friends to the game. We will, however, be working on new interfaces to allow for other ways of inviting.

We appreciate everyone's patience while we transition the off-site versions, and we're doing our best to make this transition as seamless and painless as possible. Other than having to add a new FB connect app to your Facebook account, there should be very little that is affected by this, but if you have any questions about this change, please ask below.

2. The Protector

The Protector Banned

So can't send gifts on off site by then??

3. Wonder Bread

I apologize for not wording this better. You can still send gift requests, but they will only show up as an in-game request, and won't cause a FB notification for the player you've sent it to like it normally would.

4. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Oh,well then in that case,don't seem like much of a change at all.

5. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Well-Known Member

Do you have in this option the ability to give MS players the choice of playing on a common ground with FB players in the kano platform version you have chosen?

6. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Fb vs Myspace?

Still waiting for that.

7. I personally see this as a positive move :))

8. Wonder Bread

@TP Most of the change will be on our end, and our goal was to have it not be much of a change for players, which, as you've mentioned, it shouldn't be :)

@Kel Unfortunately, the off-site version will continue to require players to have a Facebook log-in to play.

@SiKU Glad to hear it :)

9. Das liebe Beil

Das liebe Beil Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. I think I'll switch back to using the off-site version of the games. I personally haven't seen any performance changes between the two versions. Then again, I have almost all fb ads blocked anyway.

@Kel: MS vs fb? This would become one big massacre. I'd love to see something like this happen, but I fear it won't happen anytime soon, if ever. Hell, when hi5 still had KANO games, some people would have loved to see a fb vs hi5 vs MS Mexican Standoff.

10. Susan K

Susan K Member

I don't understand what I have to do to activate the FB connect app. I logged into FB, and I used my old bookmark for fb.kanoapps, which has redirected to the kanoplay place.

I'm playing fine, but there's a never completing pop-up occurring each time I do something that used to be facebook-y, like asking for help. Is there a way to get rid of it? Maybe I needed to do something about fb connect?

11. Rudl Popudl

Rudl Popudl Member

Are there any limitations or downsides using the new kanoplay.com compared to the FB-page? I have not noticed any so far - works like a charm. Seems you did a solid job on this one KANO, thx, its much appreciated.

12. Eric

Eric Administrator

Hello Susan, this issue has been fixed, you should now see complete popups when asking for help. Please let us know if you have any other issues!

13. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones New Member

New policies of Facebook seem positive one, a large number of game requests were sent to complete friend lists that were annoying for people and good number of them who do not wish to play either reject or blocks them.
    With new policies we must develop apps that will let user manually select friends to invite from contact list, just like apple game center.

14. Susan K

Susan K Member

New Question: What is the "invite code" for? Do I need to change the way I mob up with people? It used to be a 3 step operation.. send a mob up, wait for the friend confirm, then wait for the mob-up to come into the notifications list with the gifts received.

How now? Does my mob-up initial message send my invite code for me, or do I have to do something explicit?