[VC] TGIF... This week in Dev and Community 21/09/2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wonder Bread, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

TGIF! In reviewing last week's TGIF post, I noticed I made a rather terrible typo, so I would like to formally apologize on behalf of my grammar club. I'll do my best to minimize these reprehensible irregularities in the future.

Linguistic fallibility aside, let's take a look at what went on last week, with a brief sprinkling of what's coming up next week!

Player Bans

FB: 0
    MS: 6

As always, we are committed to keeping our games fun and fair for everyone, and will continue to ensure that players are playing fairly and within our Terms of Use by swinging the banhammer where it needs to be swung. There's been some confusion in the past about these numbers, so let me clarify. The above numbers are the number of accounts we have permanently frozen for violations of our Terms of Use. We also do temporary freezes for less severe violations, although these aren't included above.
    It's also worth mentioning that frozen accounts do currently still show up in the game, which has caused some confusion as well as the sentiment that we don't freeze accounts. We're looking into ways to alleviate this sentiment, as we genuinely spend quite a bit of time enforcing our Terms of Use to keep the games fun and fair for everyone.

Quarterly Newsletter #2!

Back by incredibly popular demand, our second ever Quarterly Newsletter will be rolling out in the next week or so, complete with insightful commentary and, of course, free stuff!

To ensure you actually get your newsletter, (and free stuff), make sure you have the correct email attached in your User Settings (located in the top left area of your game with a handy "new" arrow next to it.)

There's also a short survey about the forums in the newsletter, so if you're itching to give us some anonymous feedback about your forum experience, go for it!

Facebook Offsite Game Policy Change

Facebook recently announced a change to their policy regarding offsite versions of games on Facebook that will take effect December 5th, 2012. You can read more about it here

Community Stories

Have you met someone in game that you're now best friends with? Have you done something really important because of some advice another player gave you? Have any other awesome/inspiring/cool stories about an interaction you had with another player through the game? We occasionally here through Support about players meeting their significant others through the game, or about how they've made lasting friendships, or other awesome stuff, but we've never been able to share it because Support requests are private and we value your privacy. That being said, we do want to share some of the awesome stories we know are out there, so if you have any you'd like to share with the community, please email me at community@kanoapps.com with the title "Community Stories". Stories can by anonymous, but if you'd like to say who you are in game, please mention your game name and what game you play. I'll pick one each week to share in my TGIF post, and I look forward to being able to share these awesome stories with you all! So start sending!

Community Volunteer Team

We are always looking to expand the awesomeness of our Community, and to do that we need to expand our Community Volunteer team! We currently have two types of Community Volunteers, Game Gurus and Moderators.

Moderators help the community by helping keep the forums civil and respectful, as well as on-topic, spam-free, and within the forum code of conduct. Being skilled and experienced players, Moderators also help in the community by answering questions and acting as liaisons between the community and Kano. This position is quite the commitment, as we expect our moderators to be able to volunteer at least a few hours a day (although some do much more than that.)

Game Gurus are skilled and experienced players looking to share their knowledge with the community, with a particular focus on newer players. Gurus are expected to watch the Guru threads for questions, as well as answering questions elsewhere in the forums, although they don't have the forum powers or responsibilities of Moderators.

If you're interested in either position, email us at community@kanoapps.com for more information!

Support Report

Back by popular demand, it's another message from our wonderful support person, Melanie!

Take it away Melanie:

I wanted to touch on the subject of permanent account suspensions, or bans. Kicking someone out of the game is our most severe and final response to a violation of the Terms of Use, and we don't hand them out lightly. The truth is that many players who are reported for one thing or another don't fully realize how their actions are affecting other players or the game as a whole. In most cases, being caught and warned is all the response that is required for a person to be more conscientious about their behaviour.

As a heads up for you, we will be looking at revamping the Support framework within the coming month and are looking for ways to make Support faster and more effective as well as give you guys more tools with which to find information for yourselves. If you have any suggestions or ideas on what would make getting help with your game a better experience, please let us know!

-Aardvark

Well, that's it for this week! I hope you all have a safe and Wonder(bread)ful weekend!

Play Now!

Facebook Canvas: http://bit.ly/vc_kaforum
    Facebook Connect: http://bit.ly/vc_forum_fc

MySpace: http://mysp.ac/vc_forum

2. kayjay

kayjay Guest

thanks wonder bread

3. Akkhunter1

Akkhunter1 Member

I miss the joke of the week lol.

4. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

I forgot about joke of the week! I'll see what I can do for next week, thanks for the reminder!

5. Ioan Asztalos

Ioan Asztalos New Member

nope, still no quarterly :( not in my spam, even if I joined the mailing list.

6. kayjay

kayjay Guest

same here loan i still have mine either :(

7. Dan Richards

Dan Richards New Member

I too have not received the qtrly newsletter for viking - I got it for pirate clan though...

8. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member