April 27th Update: Health Baseline for Battles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kendall, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Calypso

Calypso New Member

Something the low-health players seem to be missing is that they are not really contributing to the game's play economy and are essentially leeching off of other players. A player with 100 health used to be able to attack a high health player numerous times, draining them of money and gaining xp. Then, when the higher health player attempted to attack them back, the low-health player can usually only take a few attacks or is already in the hospital.

2. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

are the details of the attacks win/loss/health calculations available? i was winning fights but dieing. if i have 1000 health and i attack and win against a guy with 2000 health will i die anyway because he has more health?

3. sion

sion New Member

so what's the recommended health level ratio then? Define "investing evenly" please ... I'm level 261 with 230 health, and earlier today mid-play I started losing 90+ health per attack instead of the 30-odd I'm accustomed to, so naturally I died rather unexpectedly.

If you're going to enforce gameplay style by ignoring attack/defence stats, make your new rules explicit & tell us what your optimal ratio is. Or hey, stop pretending there's any kind of choice and assign level points automatically; that'd go down well, I'm sure.

At the VERY least, if you're going to implement this, you should get rid of the ridiculous healing cap - I don't care if it costs more, but I should be able to get back to full health so I can at least hit a couple of times between heals.

4. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

a different scenario might be a player who does adventures only. He sets up points for all defense and energy and does not want to be ATM'd by strong players. Low health lets me lose a minimal amount of money by limiting the number of attacks by stronger players.

i think there are other ways to address the situation you describe. limit healing so you can't keep healing/attacking serially. can't heal more than 3 times in 5 minutes or something like that. or make the price of healing prohibitive, X10 or X100 for each heal within 5 minutes of a previous heal.

5. what about if player have small health they attack and take small damage but if someone attack them than they lose lots health :)

6. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

Really, people are screaming murder now for what? Because they get killed by someone with 600hp more? You shouldnt have left your HP at 100. Low def means more battles lost, low health means less battles lost but a higher chance to die.

At least now you actually have to LOOK at stats when you level up. Good change

7. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

Health

There is no excuse for these people who keep their health deliberatively small and then whine about being over attacked. They cause problems, they keep their health low on purpose so they can over attack and get away with it, and then they whine when they get listed (after attacking up to 500 times in a row). They deserve the multiple bounty lists.

I for one am proud to give them the deaths.

8. sion

sion New Member

ok, some of you people are completely unfun whole-nuther-species mental. Some of us just play, without obsessing over every upgrade & level point. It certainly never occurred to me that not bothering to up my health - since I was just adventuring almost exclusively until recently - was some sort of special whinger strategy. I upped health some when I suddenly realised how much exp you get from battles (way out of kilter IMO) and started battling when I was close to levelling, and I usually choose targets with bigger clans because I'm not some poncy bully.

I still want to know the superspecial secret official ratio of HP/level one needs to achieve in order to minimise the chances of dying because somebody sneezes in your general direction.

>Really, people are screaming murder now for what? Because they get killed by someone with 600hp more?

You got some magic way of telling how many health points another player has? Do tell.

9. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

or those who whine about losing battles could invest in defense and not lose battles???? why is
    changing "health" the answer?

10. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

high def = larger chance of winning battles. but you still lose health.
    High health = smaller chance of being killed

It's that simple. Before, people kept their health low so they could attack high hp members dozens of times in a row without them healing (giving the low hp members lots of chances to fight more battles). And now that's no longer possible.

11. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

that may be the way YOU play but i kept my health low so that i don't get ATM'd by other players. i guess it will still work my way except instead of laying low i'll be dead.

until very recently i only did missions and built defense to withstand attacks. now even if i win when attacked i'll be killed.

12. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

here's a funny twist.. now since i have to add a lot of health in a short period of time I have to start serial attacking everyone on the fight list so i can level up quickly to increase my health.

13. sion

sion New Member

is anybody over level 150 or so (I'm being generous, I think) seriously worried about losing 100k per battle? Drop in the bucket. Drop in the lake, even. I guess if my health was much higher and I didn't bother banking or spending somebody could collect a million or two before I was hospitalised, but I can't remember how long ago anything under a couple billion was worth worrying about. Most of you people sound like you're probably at higher levels than me, so what gives with fretting over pocket change?

14. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Member

I have a lot of HP because I didn't want to play that way, and there's a LOT of people that did play that way. I fight a guy who is level 550+ on a regular basis, who tends to attack me several times dealing 15 damage, and then heals. But I can only attack him three times and then he's safe. How is THAT fair then?

When you fight, win or lose, you lose health. This change should have been implemented from the very beginning.

15. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

We will continue to roll this out as slow as possible so that active players can adapt to the changes.

We posted an update to the notifications where they will stay up a bit longer and not cover up any vital links.

We have a more permanent spot for the notifications in the header but requires a bit more dev time and should be ready this week.

16. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

but it wasn't and people built their character based on the way the game played. i guess implementing the change slowly is better than just dropping it in but i'm still bothered by the new rules.

based on the way i saw things working last night, if i were to start new and dump all my points into health i would basically end up killing anyone who attacked me or anyone i attacked. i'd lose but they'd die.

17. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Thorhammer- the change is to associate a min health loss to a level to prevent people from just hanging out at 100 max health, so if you are say at level 1000 and you only have max health 100 the potential health loss could be more than 100 depending on the other players strength/stats making the user who has not put anything into health an easy kill in 1 attack.

If you want to last longer in battles and not die, you should be investing in health.

18. sion

sion New Member

whatever your intention, the way this seems to be working out in gameplay is that it boils down to clan size (unless you're trying to tell me that every single person I've attacked today has coincidentally had Very High Health ... pfft). Until yesterday I had a good chance of winning a battle against clans half as big again, and today I haven't won a single battle against clans with even one or two more chieftains but have won all but 2 battles against players with smaller clans.

Disadvantaging players who don't buy God points for upgrades is totally fair, but this is a bit much - I'm already "friends" with about 500 more weirdos than is even vaguely sane, so I can't see this game staying playable for long. There are massive gaps between new adventures and empire openings, so over level [whatever] battle is about the only way to play, and it seems to me that you're totally taking the gamble out of it, which pretty much makes it an even more pointless exercise than petville.

19. thorhammer

thorhammer New Member

Kendall, i'm not trying to be difficult on this. I don't like the change but really just want to understand how it will be working when it is implemented.

what i'm stuck on is how health is now potentially more important that attack/def skils. win or lose a fight, it seems that if one person has significantly more health than the other person the lower health viking will die. am i understanding this correctly?

20. Griff

Griff Member

I understand you guys are taking an aggressive approach at fixing the issues in the game and it's much appreciated. I think people are afraid of you making major game changing decisions to our setups without the ability to adjust fast enough to make it worth it. Low health players taking advantage of being able to make multiple attacks on the high health player is definitely an issue. When you made the changes where you added all the adventures some of us were stuck with points invested into energy that isnt needed now after the change. I have like 200 id like to stick over in health. And another 471 points I have in attack/defense. Also, the newer clans coming up through the levels are getting the extra 20 stam per level up and the 200 extra energy points they can use to gain a significant number of extra drop items than what we were able to get. I still like the game but everyone is afraid of change at some point and some people invest alot of time to build a character depending on the current system. The issues people are having with all the changes could all be solved easily by allowing us to redistribute the points into different areas after such major changes happen. Im not a dev of any game so I have no clue as to how hard this would be to implement but it just seems like a fair thing to do for the players. I would even consider paying a few god Points for this option. All that being said I do understand the reason for the latest change. But you will definitely run people off and on to different games if you make such changes and people are stuck with a setup that simply isnt as playable or fun anymore. Lastly, If everyone has to build their characters to be so similar then whats the point of even having an option of putting points into any category? Just stick the points into health and stam for us as we level up.... (Sarcasm) Thanks for listening and lets all get this stuff worked out so we can go back to having fun again and PLEASE people can we drop all the stupid drama and play a fighting game so I can unwind and not have to resort to plowing fields or shopping at Yo-Yard sales or baking those stupid cakes!