[LCN] BTW!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fearless Walker, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Fearless Walker

Fearless Walker New Member

Kano may be a privately owned entity but they are still operating under a Facebook game, therefore their rules and how they see fit to ban chat when under a freedom of speech law. We have the right to express our views and thoughts and you can't say when or how we do that, especially when no TOU's have been violated. CHEERS!

Zoe Bell likes this.
  2. Alfredo Scarface

Alfredo Scarface Active Member

Just out of interest, what freedom of speech law are you referring to exactly?

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

Canada may have different freedom of speech laws ???

Zoe Bell likes this.
  4. Alfredo Scarface

Well, if you look at the freedom of speech as understood by the US, that is freedom of political speech. That is, the government can't stifle your freedom to say or do things that fall under the category*. It says nothing about private companies, etc. having terms of service. Facebook has a terms of use and code of conduct, as does Kano, as does lots of things. Most people think they have freedom of speech in situations they don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
    Kirsten likes this.
  5. Backdoor Boo boo

Backdoor Boo boo Active Member

We here in the north are free to speak our minds.

Zoe Bell likes this.
  6. ScoobyDoobyDon't

ScoobyDoobyDon't New Member

Kano can run THEIR game precisely any way they see fit. :)

Barry Turner likes this.
  7. Kirsten

Sounds like a line from Game of Thrones lol

Backdoor Boo boo likes this.
  8. Friendly Fire

Friendly Fire Well-Known Member

Just wondering, it is so long since I started does the game actually ask you to agree to the ToU before you play? Do you have to tick anything? Or does it inform you directly that the gameplay is subject to ToU? Failure to do any of these would from a legal standpoint make them hard to enforce, especially in Europe.

Zoe Bell likes this.
  9. Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec Active Member

http://www.kanoapps.com/terms-of-use/

(b)All KANO user profiles, character actions and content in or on the chat boxes and message boards are created by our users and not by KANO. If you post distasteful, insulting, sexually explicit, racially disparaging, religiously disparaging or other inappropriate content, KANO reserves the right (but not the obligation) to delete it from the Site without notice and to freeze or close your account without any refund of previously purchased virtual currency (including, but not limited to, favour points, UN credits, and other credits) or other virtual items. This rule also applies to inappropriate avatar names. Do not create names that are nasty, insulting, sexually explicit, racist, disrespectful of religions, intended to promote illegal acts or otherwise inappropriate. We can see your messages, so keep it clean and friendly! Do not abuse the chat functions by “spamming” (posting the same message many times) or using them to make “party boards” – this can result in warnings or a frozen account, too! Finally, if you ask for another user’s password or personally identifiable information, for any reason, your account can be frozen or terminated. If you see anything inappropriate on the Site, or if anyone sends you a message that makes you uncomfortable or asks for your password, please contact KANO at Support.

(c)You understand and acknowledge that KANO may supervise user forums and filter content sometimes, but that we don’t have a duty to do this. You understand that bad people can use user forums and that user forums can be dangerous places if you do not use caution and good sense. You agree not to give out any personal information, including your password, your first and last name, your phone number, e-mail address, instant messenger screen name or other contact information and not to ask for personal information from other KANO Games users.

10. Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec Active Member

incorrect, freedom of speech extends beyond political content. you are free to express what you will, but that being said you may become liable under a civil suit for what you have said. but free speech does not apply merely to political statements

Zoe Bell likes this.
  11. Friendly Fire

Friendly Fire Well-Known Member

Does that come up before you play or does it direct you to it before you play? If it is just there but with no acceptance either implied or direct then it is not legally enforceable. By Implied I mean when the game first starts is tells you that it is subject to agreement to ToU. Like I say I can't remember back that far

Xipe Totec likes this.
  12. Alfredo Scarface

You're going to have to back that up with something. Apologies, but when all I've read on an issue points in one direction I'm not going to take the word of something I happened to see someone post online.

13. Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec Active Member

I would suggest you take a look through Supreme Court cases starting with the watergate judgment. which was not political but had political ramifications. Also look at https://www.aclu.org/freedom-expression-0
    but i wont be drawn into a debate on legal issues here other than to say what i already have that Free Speech extends to all facets of speech, not merely political

Zoe Bell likes this.
  14. Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec Active Member

Honestly Paul i cant recall that far back either. but i dont think it comes up when you start. it certainly didnt when I added the phone app.

Zoe Bell likes this.
  15. Zoe Bell

Zoe Bell Member

I don't remember ever checking anything... Definitely a good question...

16. Alfredo Scarface

I'm still not seeing anything to suggest that Facebook, Kano or any private entity removing posts or members is doing anything 'against' free speech as it doesn't apply in those types of areas. As for what you see when you start the game, I'm guessing it is unchanged now compared to what it has been for years so the proper way to see it is to try start a Kano game you don't play. I didn't click as far as to actually start playing but this is part of the screen which you click to begin playing.

Attached Files:

17. Kirsten

If anything it has been upgraded and had things added, as the games have progressed and issues have come up.

Zoe Bell and Alfredo Scarface like this.