[PC] Kano is worse than the FCC!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jillian Thyra Johansson, Apr 20, 2016.

1. WARNING!
    This is a reminder that comments like " So, we aren't allowed to call kano gayno any more on here?" could be interpreted as homophobic. It's important to remember that hundreds of people view World Chat at any given time, and while you consider something a joke other players not see it that way.

Please refrain from any further use of the word 'gay' as an insult, whether on it's on or as replacements for parts of other words. \

I've been meaning to say something for a while now about this. What is wrong with you Kano? You ban people from the chat for using words that are perfectly acceptable in polite society. I think you should adopt the rules of the FCC if you are going to police the chat as vigorously as you do. After all, there is nothing wrong with the word gay! It means happy, right? There are people named Gay and I don't think they would appreciate YOUR homophobic attitude about their name!!!

Now, I might have brought this up to "Support" but since I can't seem to get an account with them, it will have to be here. Stop being so subjective and try using an objective standard with your policing policies. You have so far been completely unfair to some while kissing the butts of others and it's getting old. I don't know why people even bother with this game............oh wait, they barely do. And while you're at it........."Support"..........give me back my VC chat!! Idk why you even took it away from Polish and me in the first place. Neither does he. It's asinine that we can't even post comments on our own bosses. I share my bosses much less because of it.

Well, that's my rant for now. I'm sure it will be deemed inappropriate. And fix your stupid sign up for support while you're at it! I have people to report. lol

johno and Lucifer like this.
  2. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

I got banned twice from world chat for using the term Butt Buddies. And quit puckering those lips to that butt. . Both times were supposedly homophobic. But again crybabies are everywhere in this game.

johno, Chasity, Lucifer and 2 others like this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

I got banned for calling a hit & hide viking Foxhole, still can't figure that one out! Or it could have been when I called the same viking a cripple viking for staying in the hospital all the time, either way? makes no sense...

Chasity and Kirsten like this.
  4. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Sensitive people these day's, chat mod's need a slap across the head these day's for their actions as well. :p

5. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

I could try to persuade you until I'm blue in the face that while the term "gay" does indeed have many meanings, it is commonly used today as a pejorative, especially on the Internet. I have my doubts that you were trying to call us "Happy-no", but there we are.

But, while we are on the subject of Chat, I do have something from our esteemed colleagues in Support.

A few months ago we decided we should start to be a little more lax in terms of chat enforcement, because we were getting a lot of complaints about chat bans. The muting function is always available if you don't want to hear from someone, and it creates a lot of work for the support staff to be looking through chat reports and handing out suspensions each day, so I was hoping things would stay pretty even-keeled if we stepped back a little.

Unfortunately we've actually had more complaints and frustration from new and old players alike that the chat is a negative place to be, and that it's hard to enjoy it as an aspect of the game. Because of this we've decided to go back and be more strict on messages that we perceive as being harmful to the atmosphere of the game and uses of the word gay in a pejorative sense are one of those things.

If you feel there are comments in the chat that are inappropriate, you're always welcome to report them and I promise we take the time to review each report. I realize some people are more sensitive to insults etc. in the chat than others, but lately there have been more complaints about the atmosphere than about suspensions. Therefore we've made a call to try and keep more players and a bigger variety of people playing the game, because I think that makes it more fun for everyone.

I know sometimes our chat enforcement can feel unfair, and I don't like that aspect of it either. It's the price we pay for reviewing each report by hand and not letting an automated tool moderate the chat by itself, and doing that is important to us so we don't ban people for things that are accidental.

Allen Sumaran likes this.
  6. Chasity

Chasity Well-Known Member

Most of what I see in world chat is friendly banter. THere are some who continually enjoy taking jabs at targeted pirates, who return the favor. I think it must be enjoyable to both parties, for when one is absent the other is always mentioning their absence. :rolleyes: And, like you said, there's always the mute button.

7. Allen Sumaran

Allen Sumaran Member

Well said Mitch!!!

8. BLACK ICE

BLACK ICE Member

I think kano needs to be more strict. some people call names and insult everytime they are in chat this is distasteful and detracts from the game. everytime they call someone a liar. one person has went as far as to say a woman is having relations with an elk. come on these folks need to be adults and act as such. if not start at 30 day and third time is perma. just my 2 cents

Chasity likes this.
  9. Chasity

Chasity Well-Known Member

I agree, personal insults only hurt people and cause others to want to quit playing. I was referencing those who aren't throwing up personal attacks on real life, but rather seem to be enjoying friendly banter relating to pirating.

10. johno

johno New Member

Nope I reckon people are way to sensitive and I have noticed it depends a lot on what side of the world you are in the Yanks have way different meanings and what have you as fanny here is a crude part of the body yet totally acceptable in the usa so again a lot is open to interpretation Poms aussies and kiwis just give each other stick again it is our sense of humour and Kano is the one that is homophobic when I got banned for totally acceptable behaviour here as a kiwi I was told by kano that it was to protect the yanks because they were the main ones who played go figure

11. Jon Ward

Jon Ward Well-Known Member

Kano needs to step back a little and let the humor and fun begin and trash talk. It's always been part of gaming. Now if a person starts it and then gets it dealt back to them Kano shouldn't step in and and be the parent. If they had the stones to start something then they need to grow the pair and accept what is dealt back to them. I have made so many cry to Kano over my comments. But hey if you trash talk to me i will always trash you back. But difference is i won't go crying to Kano. Will i report you for breaking a term of service yes. But you trash talking at me no.

Chasity likes this.
  12. Justin the killer

Justin the killer Well-Known Member

give me back my VC chat!! Idk why you even took it away from Polish and me in the first place. Neither does he. Jillian why even bring him into this an that was not him for along time an u know what happen too you got caught playin on it an u made his account get a permant ban...be nice if they would permant ban you as well for even having access too someone account..cause u go against the rules all the time...but about the gay word that should not be allowed in any game chat at all nor a player Name within the game apps cause u know for a fact that people would be getting made fun of an pick on..laterzzz