Regarding the Server Outage on November 4

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mi7ch, Nov 6, 2015.

1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

In case you weren’t playing at the time, we had some downtime last night that lasted for 2-3 hours, and we’d like to explain what happened to anyone that’s interested.

Our cloud servers live inside what’s called an "environment", and we periodically create new environments in order to test things. In this case we were working on making our monitoring more sensitive; this is the tool that wakes our dev team up at night when something breaks.

The test code we were working on is close to what we use for the actual games, and when we shut down the test environment we accidentally shut down the regular one as well.

Even though we were able to bring servers back up quickly, it look some frantic work to put the environment back together because that system isn’t designed to change so quickly.

From all of us at Kano, we hope you will accept our sincere apologies for this interruption in service. We goofed, and we’re doing our best to make sure it never happens again.

In the short term we’re building some new automatic systems, so that if our environment ever goes down again, we can put it back together much faster. This will also help protect the games in case a big datacenter goes down because of a natural disaster or power failure.

In the long term, we’re moving to a whole new infrastructure system for our servers that is more reliable. Our current system is designed to be simple and easy to use, but as we’ve built more systems and settings into it we’ve grown past its capabilities.

Once we migrate to this new system, the option to turn everything off will thankfully be much more difficult to do by accident. :)

We hope that helps shed some light on what happened and we appreciate your patience while we put this back together. If you haven’t claimed them yet, I've posted some free Full Stamina Refills in the General Discussions forum: http://forums.kanoapps.com/threads/full-stamina-refill-expires-nov-12.17200/

2. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Well-Known Member

thank you bro

3. Xextreem

Xextreem Active Member

I was at sleep so i have not seen any problems. So glad its fixs.

4. Tjak

Tjak New Member

Does this mean the reporting errors will continue or abate?

5. GATMAN

GATMAN Active Member

Thank you for the bonus stamina, and the few extra hours of sleep i got last night

6. bowberson

bowberson Active Member

I was on and people were going through withdrawal. I just did something else on facebook until I got messaged that it was fixed. Thanks for the starmina. I will use it tomorrow to level.

7. kamikazeweasel

kamikazeweasel Active Member

Thanks for the stamina refill unexpected but nice to get

8. bowberson

bowberson Active Member

Breakdown more and give more stamina refills! YAY!

robbin gordon likes this.
  9. bowberson

bowberson Active Member

Full stamoma boost is always my favorite!

10. Wiccan Wizard

Wiccan Wizard New Member

A free Stamina refill should more than make up for any inconvenience.

11. Everything that makes things more safe should be a a great deal! Thank you KANO team.

12. DrewMurray1874

DrewMurray1874 New Member

I am more annoyed now than I was when it happened! I have other posts thanking Kano for their stamina refills! That just really gets my goat! At the time of the outage I had clicked to use my stamina boost and it never happened... (the energy boost did go through)... now I read that other players got a stamina refill... I feel cheated twice!

13. Mr Killer Man

Mr Killer Man Active Member

Full stamina refills should come often.

14. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

send a ticket to support so they can see what happened when ya clicked your boost during the outage, and the full stamina boost compensation is still available.

From Mitch's first post in this thread::

I've posted some free Full Stamina Refills in the General Discussions forum: http://forums.kanoapps.com/threads/full-stamina-refill-expires-nov-12.17200/

15. Xextreem

Xextreem Active Member

That full stamina for 3 hours off line is way overkill for me. But iam happy to get it :cool:

16. Marc14

Marc14 Active Member

Indeed, for a full stamina refill they may shut it down every day for 3 hours :)
    This was very generous, thanks Kano!