Introducing the Raid Boss: New Gameplay Feature Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mi7ch, Sep 3, 2014.

1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Hi all,

We're very excited to be announcing a new addition to the games coming soon: the Raid Boss! The Raid Boss is a co-operative twist on our current Bosses with the chance to earn some sweet loot! The developers have been working very hard on this one and as we get closer to the actual release of the Raid Boss, I wanted to introduce you to the overall concept and break down some of the mechanics. There will be a more in-depth walkthough closer to release, but for now read through this high-level overview and leave your feedback! :)

Summoning the Raid Boss

To summon the Raid Boss you’ll need to collect four keys from across various Locations within the game. The keys will drop from the quests within the Locations. There are four Locations tied to each instance of Raid Boss, ranging from low-level Locations to high-level Locations. The Raid Boss’ strength is tied to the Location that you earned the keys from, not the player who summons it.

The chance of a key dropping from a quest will be scaled to the Energy cost of quests in a given location, so the highest Energy requirement quest in a Location will have the highest chance of dropping the key.

There will be a new user interface module that will show you how many keys you’ve accumulated and will allow you to travel to the next Location you can earn a key from. Extra keys in your inventory when the Raid Boss event ends can be manually turned in for reimbursement. Keys do not have any uses outside of summoning a Raid Boss.

The Raid Group

Once you have all the requisite keys, you can start a Raid Boss. Raid Bosses work a little differently than our current Co-op or Single Bosses in that you can have up to 30 members in your Raid group.

The makeup of the Raid Boss group is such that you can only have 10 members in each level “tier”, which are divided into (by level): low to mid, mid to high, and high and above. Raid Bosses are private by default and each level tier will have a specific invite code tied to it. Only players that are inside the correct level range can use their tier code to join a Raid Boss. You can refresh invite codes on a per tier basis, which will invalidate any previous codes. There will be a new user interface module on the Raid Boss screen that will show this in more detail.

Raid Bosses can be shared publicly just like regular Bosses, but you are still limited to 30 members with 10 from each level tier.

The Raid group shares a Health pool calculated from the group’s overall Health and Defense skill points. The stats are a snapshot of the individual player’s skill point values when they join the Raid. The Raid group Health pool will update when new members join the Raid. You can replenish lost Raid group health with Energy. Every time you attack a Raid Boss, the Raid group Health pool will be diminished, not personal health, so if the entire Raid group is attacking the Raid Boss simultaneously without healing, it is possible to lose to the Raid Boss.

Fighting the Raid Boss

The Raid Boss interface will be largely similar to our existing Boss fight interface, with a couple notable differences. The main difference is that in addition to the Attack and Power Attack options, there is a “Heal Raid” button which uses Energy.

The Raid Boss will hit back very hard, so it’s worth it for the Raid group to have a balanced party of attack-oriented players and defense-oriented ones. As mentioned above, if the Raid group continues to attack the Raid Boss without dropping some Energy points into replenishing the Health pool, the Raid Boss will “kill” the group.

If the Raid group is wiped out, the Raid Boss’ health resets to full, along with the Raid group’s health.

The Raid Boss has a random chance to drop Energy when you attack it, but it will not drop items on a per attack basis.

Killing the Raid Boss

When a Raid Boss is defeated, each player involved has a chance to earn one of several special new items. This item is unique in that it has purple text which will be displayed when you visit another player’s profile or view it in your inventory (you can also see a tooltip pop-up of the item on the Raid Boss interface). The items dropped by the Raid Boss will be have attributes that are close in power to current Limited items.

There is no limit to the number of Raid Bosses you can summon or participate in over the duration of the event. Once a Raid Boss is killed there is no “cool-down” period and you can immediately start another one if you have the requisite keys. Raid Bosses do not gain a level or grow in strength each time they are killed (trust us, they will be tough enough as it is!).

2. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Here is a sneak peek at the Raid Boss interface! Please note that this screenshot is several weeks old and that some things have changed. Also the numbers displayed are not indicative of the final product as this screenshot came from a testing environment.

[​IMG]

3. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Currently the development is being primarily done on Viking Clan, however the concept is the same across all of the games.

Kehvyn likes this.
  4. xSiz

xSiz New Member

I already love it! Thank you Mi7ch and all the people behind the scenes

LaScepter and mi7ch like this.
  5. KuraiKiller

KuraiKiller Member

Make this happen, now! ;)

LaScepter and mi7ch like this.
  6. Matt Gerrits

Matt Gerrits New Member

Now that is an awesome idea. Can't wait for its implementation to take full effect.

mi7ch likes this.
  7. LaScepter

LaScepter Well-Known Member

Excellent...this will spark a few ....cant wait !

mi7ch likes this.
  8. grim

grim Member

Glad to see this one make it through. I liked the idea from the start and think this will bring a little more thought into the game. Time to start using your heads people, just having a quick finger and lots of stam isn't gonna help with this one. Great job mi7ch explaining it all and kudos to you and all involved for coming up with a great idea. Cheers !

9. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

when you say chance of a drop when the boss is defeated, do you mean that we could potentially dump stams and energy into the boss for nothing?

PaganWench likes this.
  10. Reesy901

Reesy901 Member

Ok so a few issues I feel need addressing. 1st Won't this just encourage the use of alts? With a requirement to fill 'level tiers' surely the high level players will tailor alts to juxtapose their way of playing? Particularly with a lot of players having stam/att build and low energy. It would make sense to have a high energy alt. 2nd With all the time invested in creating this boss type( and a complex piece of work at that) where was the demand? I heard a few people say it would be nice to have a new boss type and (don't get me wrong) I'm all for new content. However, how come you can't roll out reverse crafting for all items which people have asked for and for quite some time. It just seems, to me at least, that having consistency and completeness throughout a game should come before new content. 3rd You say that keys will be dropped with increasing likelihood for higher energy jobs, even on the highest energy jobs what %'age are we looking at in realistic terms? If it's at the same rate as random drop items for jobs, people are going to have to invest A LOT into energy. 4th and final point. Will there be an open play Beta on all platforms or will it only be on Viking Clan atm? I feel a lot of this speculation will soon be put to bed or justified once the Beta is rolled out. Either way I look forward to something new and don't feel I'm hating. Just some questions that sprung to mind! Jamie

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  11. Reesy901

Reesy901 Member

@Demonik1 I think he is suggesting a chance of collecting from a pool of items of varying stats at the end of the Raid Boss.

12. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

@Demonik1 We would never do that! There will of course be rewards when the Raid Boss dies, but note that there are several items that the Raid Boss can drop when it dies. Which one will you get? ;)

@Reesy901 Questions and concerns is why we rolled this out to everyone! For the alts question, taking the time to have a decent number of alts between all the the level tiers to fill out a Raid group would be incredibly counter-productive, not to mention that running such a high number of alternate accounts would draw our attention. We believe that new features are essential to keeping a game going, but I do hear where you're coming from regarding crafting. We'll also have something to say about that soon, so that is on our radar. The developers are still finalizing all of the numbers for the key drops, so I can't speak to that specifically at this moment. The Raid Boss is currently designed to last longer than our other times events, though, so there will be time adequate time to find the keys. There is no plan for a beta on any game or network currently, but I'll let the developers know that there is interest for one!

13. Reesy901

Reesy901 Member

@mi7ch Thanks for the swift and informative reply! One more thing any planned date for release or are you just trying to stir up some excitement? Either way it looks like it should be good fun :)

14. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

No planned release date right now although we are aiming to get this out ASAP! Right now I'm just spreading awareness about the Raid Boss and yes, building a little excitement. ;)

15. Stanislav Georgiev

Stanislav Georgiev New Member

This option looks like Dawn of Dragons raids :)

16. Easy To Remember

Easy To Remember Well-Known Member

Looks GREAT mi7ch (and Kano Developers)! Looking forward to the implementation on Mob Wars via Facebook! Please pass my thanks along to the appropriate people! :)

17. mit

mit New Member

sounds awesome, looking forward to it !

18. Rodney Rangel

Rodney Rangel Active Member

i cant wait :)

19. Xextreem

Xextreem Active Member

O yah :) awesome, can`t wait to see this :D

20. Rodney Rangel

Rodney Rangel Active Member

just gotta learn how to do it when it comes out