[VC] Update to how Ranking is Determined in the Battle Arena

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mi7ch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Recently there's been some concern here on the forums about inactive players in the Battle Arena placing highly when the Arena is over. While it is totally a player's choice whether or not they want to participate actively in any given Arena, it wasn't fair to higher level players for these inactive accounts to be placing highly when the Arena ended.

As such, we've made a few changes to how active/inactive players are placed when an Arena ends. If you meet the minimum 100 attacks to qualify as an active player, you will be ranked normally based on the time you were eliminated from the Arena. If you fail to meet the minimum 100 attacks, you will be considered inactive and ranked below active players on the leaderboard. Inactive players will be ranked against each other based on attack count. As a side-effect of this change, your reward can only be collected when the Arena ends.

If needed, we may adjust the minimum requirements. For example, the 100 attack minimum may change and possibly hitting a minimum number of unique opponents may be required. This will be based on reviewing the upcoming arenas and stats. This change will be in effect for the December 12 Battle Arena on Viking Clan.

If you have any questions or feedback about this change, please leave it here. :)

2. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

so is a player that logs in at the beginning of the arena and does the min attacks then nothing else considered an active player?

3. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

see what im gettin at? if a player logs in and does the exact min to qualify as an active player for rewards and does nothing for 99% of the arena, then how is that active? i appreciate that youre trying to promote more activity but im sorry, this isnt the solution. you want more activity then make the rewards alot more enticing. its just that simple. youll have more people trying to place higher if its worth what they have to use and go thru to do it. as it stands now i only play to get a few levels in a short period of time without having to spends any fps....if the rewards were better, id actually try to place higher and spend fps but as is, its just not worth it and the changes youre talking about dont change that in ANY way

4. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

I've only heard people cry about peoples defense stance and shorter arena due to the attack slider. Many use "defense stance" to claim free reward, which I think was fair the old way (No Slider). Wait till they cry DEMONIK on less participation because of this change LOL, I can already hear the complaints. People that actually do play it, get rewards they deserve for playing, quick levels and in most cases bragging rights. This will deter a lot to join to get a chitty EXP for sign in, while Rivals etc. reap rewards of free levels off of you, thus wrecking arena in another way. Great job people that cried=less levels for you! My 2 cents.

5. Gazember

Gazember Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The next step will be to fill the arena with a lot of made up inactive players, and the next to release the single player version of the game on a DVD.

6. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

We need an opt out feature, to leave the various arenas I am sure alot have already signed up for, in case the start time is not good for those people. Thanks:) I would not want to be fodder for someone else any longer, if I wind up not being able to play.

7. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I think this is a good idea. I believe this is how it works for the guild war. You can opt out before it starts, but once it has started, you can't opt out. I had been entering the arenas so that I don't forget to on the off chance I'll be able to participate. I guess I'll just have to wait until I log in for now and check the arena pages each day to see if there's an arena going on that day to enter before it starts. It's getting hard for me to keep track of everything now. I try to play both the arenas and wars on 3 games, and all of the days and start times are different (not to mention one or two 3 day calendars each month).

8. Gazember

Gazember Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I probably will forget many times to join the arena 5 minutes before it starts, I would like to see an auto-eject option if I am off-line at the moment when the Arena starts.

9. Conor Murphy

Conor Murphy Member

Despite being active, I'd be classed as inactive as it would start in the middle of the night here in the UK and I would probably be killed before I log on.

10. I do think that every move to promote active players in the arena is good as that is what it was originaly intended for for active players to fight to the last using defence as a short term strategy against stronger players until they moved onto someone else, not just sit there until the end. As somone who has spent well over a day on the arena waitiong for players to come out of defence when they have no kills it can be VERY frustrating. Here's throwing a spanner in the works - can we not consider an option of rewarding the active players more during the game rather that punishing the one's in defence after the game. Such as for every kill your strength goes up a percentage to make it easier to take inactive players out if you have a number of kills under your belt rather than only getting stronger in the latter stages as a group which benefits everyone. Eveyone would benefit from this and lower level players would take out higher level players if they had enough kills under their belt promoting 'inclusion' not 'exclusion'. Just a though but the arena is one of my favourite parts of the game and would hate to see it spoilt by loosing players. If I could also add that could there not be a 6 hour time difference between the four arena times to give everyone a fair shot at entering and being awake!! lol

11. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Exactly my thoughts, and totally agree. :)

12. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Step in the right direction for sure....but the minimum requirements needs to go way up. Want more players to participate then bump up the rewards based on activeness.

An opt out option would be ok ...but i def dont see it as any big deal as getting knocked out has no negative impact on ones main account. Players can sign up for an arena up until it starts....if they are not sure they can make it I suggest they dont sign up until then.

13. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It may not have a negative impact on my game, but I can have a positive impact on someone's game if they get the kill on me
    or some levels as they try to take me down. Now that I can't have I am selfish that way :p

14. polishpimp

I suppose your right but the same has always held true if one signed up and did not show up/participate. The easy fix for that is to simply not sign up until you know u will/can be there. If players can potentially get rewards for doing nothing....ide say its a fair trade off that they level someone else in the process. Doing nothing, getting rewards and not benefiting any rivals is a bit much....lol

15. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Yes, but it sounds like inactives will not get rewards any longer because they will be ranked below ALL active players with the minimum number of attacks. If this is the case, there's no point in joining for the measly sign-up XP while allowing active players to get boatloads of XP and all the rewards as well. I also do not see how this is going to increase the number of active arena players, but I guess we'll see what happens in the next 2 or 3 arenas.

16. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Not necessarily there were a few I missed playing after signing up for a variety of reasons and ranked pretty well and My game improves constantly, arena notwithstanding, as the regular game is more where my goals for it lie, In looking at the time the PC one starts tonite, I know the next one might be too late, tonite is fine, but in the other three games I may want to bow out as I have no clue when they will be starting and I am already signed up, I know the trend of the start times for the most part, gauging from the one tonite. After that I have no idea, as I don't do the time difference with Kano time and my time with two weeks in between and I usually sign up early. As this announcement seems to be going into effect either now or very shortly , I would like the option.

17. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

The next arenas in LCN and Vikings will be at 1 AM EST, as will the next Pirates arena after tonight's ends around 11 PM EST. If Kano really wants to support this, they should give players that registered before this change was made the ability to remove themselves from the next arenas. I would be more than happy to support this change by not joining them since I will not be able to participate.

18. polishpimp

I believe it will change in part due to this update but presently there are some arenas that dont even have enough active players to fill out the top 100...so some inactive players will still be getting rewards for the time being. My guess would be that more players will become active and they should, 100 attacks is ridiculously low and takes mere seconds to do. If they are either so lazy, scared or simply cant be there ...then to be frank they simply dont deserve it. Players will always signup for the free XP....its not much....but its free. The rewards arent even that good at the reward tiers so those that do choose to now get the minimum will not exactly be raking in the goods either. In the end its just about righting a wrong that has simply gone on way to long. The arena was intended for active players it only makes sense that they rank better even if it only means a slight improvement in rewards. I would imagine its not exactly a boon for kano when they get players who are newly eligible for an arena or even an arena veteran to have spent FP on refills only to place well behind others who didnt even bother to show up or try.

19. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Please find below a copy of the ticket that I submitted to see if I can be removed from the next arena. Feel free to copy and paste and submit your own ticket if you wish to be removed as well. Don't forget to change the name! :p

Good afternoon, Devs/Kano/Melanie.

I registered for the next Vikings arena before the changes were made to the reward structure yesterday. Is there any way that I can be removed? I would be more than happy to give back the XP I received for joining. I would appreciate anything you could do to process this request. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jared

20. polishpimp

Im confused. So u dont want to be in in this upcoming arena because of this change? So did u actually plan on being active ? were u just planning on entering and not being active and are now wanting to opt out in protest that u have a lesser chance of ranking well due to being inactive. Dont take me wrong...im not criticizing you Im just curious. If you normally enter and are inactive why would this change anything? You still have a chance even though it may be a lesser chance. Like i said....just curious. Personally I think Kano should let people opt out if they take the time to write into support. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013