Kanoplay/MS VC Battle arena 6/27/13

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by polishpimp, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Larry Skary

Larry Skary Member

that is why they put the 100 att. min. in place so if you finish high in the ranks you get less but you should really get nothing because you were not even trying to be active

2. The Protector

The Protector Banned

Or maybe someone lost their net or power?

Something came up where they couldnt be active and they were planning on being active?

Who are you to say that wasnt the case?

3. Larry Skary

Larry Skary Member

i agree that could happen to anyone at anytime but the fact remains if you do not get your min att. in you should get no reward. in fact there was an arena not long ago that i in fact did lose connection and i was lucky i wasn't killed during the time it took for me to get back so i feel for those people but it don't change the fact no effort equals no reward.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. The Protector

The Protector Banned

But the actives decided to kill other actives.

Can only blame the active players if d mode/inactive players rank up.

Rather than complain how Kano should penalize EARNED perks,just play the arena smarter?

5. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Thats part of my point John, Better? Thats pretty subjective......basically its the only option at this point....hence this thread....dont we want more options? Not just for u and me...but for everybody?

6. polishpimp

Disguise what? Im on the fence with this one. Saying Def. stance is strategy when it outlast an arena is as goofy a thing Ive ever heard. Would be diff if the arena lasted more than a couple hours

7. polishpimp

Your kidding right? Big diff between going in n out of def when needed and just entering the arena in it and staying in it. Jealous? Some of us never use Defensive stance, but if we needed to I assure u would outlast most. Your comments r pure ignorance

8. polishpimp

Bummer for them...better luck next time. Back to just arguing for arguments sake again?

9. polishpimp

this argument was ridiculous the first twenty times u used it...what makes u think its any better now?

10. polishpimp

Made up my mind. Although it sounded good in theory...the multiple attack feature was simply a bad idea for the majority...3 attacks is still too much. I applaud Kano for trying it out....but the time has come to either eliminate it or cut it down to 2 attacks per.

Speaking from hy higher level accounts point of view...this update was/is the greatest thing since sliced bread.... It makes winning the arena easier and faster for me and leaves all my rivals with far less.

Speaking from my lower level accounts....Its a complete joke... I like to actually be active in an arena....the new format doesnt allow for that unless i want to be dead sooner rather than later. I never expected to do well (in terms of rank)in the arenas because of level....but i did like the opportunity it afforded me to level....those days are behind us now. So now not only dont lower levels have a shot at winning...but no shot at leveling either....so whats the point? Free Xp for entering I suppose and a shot at 1 0r 2 FP for sitting in D stance. This new system promotes inactivity which was already a problem. Basically all we have left for the lower levels is a scaled down lottery with minimal prizes and multiple winners..... big whoop!

11. Kacey

Kacey New Member

I agree to some extent with you polish, but you are stating you do not think inactive should get any rewards and feel that only active players have the right to receive them. What I do not understand is in the last arena when there were six people left me being one of them. You and Jillian both never attacked the other two players that barely had any attacks and no kills at all, yet you both attacked me every 30 seconds to a minute and I had 12k attacks and 10 kills. If you are so concerned about inactive getting rewards then why didn't you kill the two inactive players before the active one? I understand the enemy thing and why you would want to take me out first, but unless you knew it was me you are stepping on what you are saying. I think anyone who joins the arena has the right to place however luck or skill brings them. I, myself, have an excellent defense stance and it didn't come easy, so that being said if you build your character to where you are rewarded something that helps your strategy than it is rightfully deserved.

The 3 attack option is something I actually like, I can go get my levels and kills for achievements a lot quicker, then just wait out on defense stance and hope I can place well. I personally never enable defensive stance in the beginning whether I am on or not. If I did, with this shorter arena it would definitely take me to the top with the amount I have. There are plenty of players with very terrible defensive stances and with this quicker arena it definitely takes out there chances of still being alive whether stance is enabled or not by the time they can actually play.

All that being said I have to kinda agree with you on the fact that a 2 stam attack per hit would be a better option.
    I disagree with inactive not getting rewards because I could care less what they get and if luck gets them far so be it. The best rewards they can receive is for placing 50, and that is not really anything at all, so who really cares what they get. I'm just glad people participate so we all have targets to go after!! :)

You also state that higher levels in the arena should do well and deservedly so, then why shouldn't a defensive player be able to place well with their stance and deserve it?

Btw, Lower levels do have a shot at leveling if they are quick about it. I am considered a lower level to people of your level and I got:
    During the Battle Arena you gained 2,618,703 XP!
    Which was a good amount of leveling for a slow leveler like me! :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  12. polishpimp

Hi Kacey, Congrats on another great finish. Like I said previously both here and in the Wc...we may be rivals but I have a lot of respect for your game.I think that your one of the extremely few players regardless of level that actually understand the game...work with what you have and very rarely if ever whine. I dont consider most smack talking whining...just part of the game.. With that said...I enjoyed your thoughtful post and I will try to answer all your questions.

My stance in regards to inactives is this...I simply dont think that is what the arena was intended to be about or reward. Active players are what make the arena work and what keeps Kano in business. The arena is handicapped severely and affects active players way more than inactive players. Yes....inactives are handicapped/penalized to some degree as well but its not nearly the handicap that the active players have. An inactive player regardless of where they finish in the top 50 will get the same rewards as finishing in the top 26-50 but they also get the achievements that correspond with their actual rank. They get this for doing nothing. But in comparison an active player who actually makes these games go round can be displaced by a player that is doing nothing. An active player has to work their ass off to achieve the same thing yet deal with an extreme handicap....myself as an example....I lose to only one player in the game whether attacked or doing the attacking...yet I can lose upwards of 75 percent while being attacked by a lesser opponent and upwards 0f 35 percent while attacking an opponent. Lesser leveled active participants have the same handicap only to a lesser degree....If a active player has to work twice as hard for the same result....how does that not promote inactivity?

I agree to some extent that defensive players deserve what they get/earned....but I also think the arena favors these types of builds waaaaay to much....especially now that the arena is so short. Before the attack slider was implemented the MS VC arena was lasting on average about 10 hrs. Nobody has 10 hrs of Def. stance....so at some point if a player didnt want to leave things up to total chance they had to come in and re-enable def. stance and get their 100 attacks in if they wanted a legit shot at getting some reward for their actual rank...at least they did something and took some sort of risk....more power to them. Now that the arena is basically over in 2 hrs or less (it takes longer than that but everyone thats not in Def. mode is dead and its officially a hurry up and wait game)...heavy defense players are a shoe in for achievements and a top 50 rank/rewards...hence my feeling that the number of multiple attacks should be tied to the number of participants. Why should investing heavily in Def. be essentially a free pass when investing heavily elsewhere doesnt? Kano stated very clearly that the arena was meant to reward balance builds....I would argue that under the current circumstances its doing anything and everything but that.

As to your question as to why we didnt take out the lesser active players before you is really quite simple...we didnt know who you were and we did know who they were. At that stage of an arena attack is multiplied and killing is quick and easy....waiting out an active unknown(who is most likely a rival) only extends the arena by mere seconds and makes things a lil more comforting in that you knocked a potential rival down a spot or two. There has been other arenas where there been multiple unknowns near the end...in cases such as this we usually let the player with the lesser or no stats progress further because chances are they are less likely to be a significant rival and they still wont get the full rewards for their ranking if they have no stats,,,while they unknown with stats gets knocked down a couple of rankings. Basically we are playing the cards we are dealt and the odds with the way things are currently set up. Simply because I disagree with the way things are currently set up doesnt mean Im not gonna help a friend out instead of an unknown. We knock closer friends all the time that have no stats to let a less known clan member progress who at least has some stats. With that said...their are and can be a multitude of other variables that come into play.

Lesser levels do have a shot at getting some levels.....but the number of levels has been effectively been cut by 2/3....the same as the length of the arena. Being quick means taking more chances or wasting time in which they could be leveling....that means being found sooner and ending up dead or forced into def. stance earlier. Like I said....its perfect for my higher level accounts......but as said before...I actually want everyone regardless of level to have a fighting chance of succeeding in what the deem success...this current system under the current circumstances drastically reduces that opportunity.

If I left something out let me know. Best of luck in the next arena.

13. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

Ahhhhhhh my dear Blimp - the reason I stay "in defense mode" in the arena is because I work weird hours and really can't pay attention to the arena. I'd always kinda avoided the arena as it's really meant for people who either have multiple alt accounts or who work well in tandem with others. I hunt better as a lone wolf. Unlike you and Cha Cha, Para and Gavin, Dolly and Gene, Kald and Luci etc.

Since KANO has seen fit to reward battle arena players with achievements, and since I could not let you or Cha Cha get too far ahead of me in achievements - I thought it best to join the arena - yet to stay in "defense mode" the entire time - that way I could catch up with y'all in the achievement part, yet still have a life.

As the arena comes at multiple different times (to allow everyone in the world to access the arena fairly), KANO has to allow for people to remain in "defense mode".

Hope that helps out some.

Grand Master Fielding
    aka Grand Flasher Fielding.

14. polishpimp

I wasnt thinking of you when I started this thread Fielding...at the time I wrote this you werent participating on a regular basis. In addition...I also understand yours and others dilemma as far as hours and what not . If I were in the same situation...I would do it as well for the same reasons (achievements etc etc.) but It still wouldnt change how I felt about it all.

With that said...it doesnt change my opinion that the new system rewards heavy def players way to much. Before this update it took some strategy to both rank and level. It still does to some extent but its been drastically reduced while allowing more inactive players to do more for doing kless which I think goes against the whole spirit of the arena.

I have plenty of Def so thats def not my concern...I could ride it out with the best of them. I just dont like the idea of more "something for nothing".... while those out there actually doing what the arena intended get displaced by the free loaders.....it reeks of Obuma.....lol. It wouldnt be so bad if the arena at least lasted another couple hours ....as it stands now players with moderate def are able to just ride it out while doing nothing. As a couple other posters mentioned...high defense is earned and should be rewarded and Im in agreement with that for the most part....I just dont think it should be the sole deciding factor in ones success. Kano said the arena was going to reward balanced builds....thats not what I see happening at all. If uber defense can take someone to the higher ranks while doing nothing then it stands to reason that uber high attack should get the same treatment and the handicaps should be removed or drastically reduced.

Players such as u and I are extreme cases due to our levels. It the lower leveled players that actually want to be active that are my main concern....this new system basically forces them to remain inactive if they are to stand a legitimate shot, which I personally think is very unfortunate

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. Eric Thunderbone

Eric Thunderbone Active Member

Mid-to-lower level perspective:

I'm currently around level 3700 in the game itself. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years so (obviously) I don't level terribly quickly. I usually don't have the time or the energy to go any faster.

I LOVED the Battle Arena under the one attack format. If it happened to fall at a time when I could play it, I managed to move up three or four levels per game (once as high as eleven) by being patient, picking my spots to attack carefully, snipe a kill here and there or wipe out some lower folks than me, and gradually building my health. I had fun for two to three hours until I got in with the big boys/girls exclusively and would eventually succumb. If I ended up pissing off a higher level with a perceived snipe at any point, I would go defensive as quickly as possible, then hope to survive when I came back using the same patient strategy. When it went well, I finished in the 40-45th place range. Even if I got killed early, I still managed to go up two or three levels.

The one time I was able to fully play under the new format, I was employing the same strategy for the first fifteen, twenty minutes or so and had built my health up significantly. Someone stopped by my office and I literally turned my head away from the game for two minutes. Two. When I turned back, I was so close to dead, switching to defense mode did nothing. Instead of two to three hours of enjoyment, I lasted twenty minutes doing nothing differently than I had before. My "patient" strategy is useless now

I used to actively do whatever I could to make time for the arenas. Now, I have little to no interest whatsoever, it just isn't worth the time. It was fair before...lower levels like me could get a peek into the top 5% on occasion, earn quite a bit of XP and have a blast all at the same time. Now it's a waste

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  16. polishpimp

Thank you for sharing your experience under both systems with us. This is pretty much what I was worried about. With that said i do realize there are exceptions to every rule and a very select few lower to mid level players will eek through now n then and score a few levels while obtaining a decent rank....but it will be based much more on luck now rather than the abundant strategies that could be utilized under the old system.

Which platform do u play on and which game? Do u think it would be worth a try to lower the attack slider to 2 at least for a limited time to see if that helps?

17. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Off topic, this is most recent arena thread, but can the colors for "refresh and find" get any more faint LOL.
    ARENA.PNG

18. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

My dear Blimp - whether anyone likes it or not, the fact is that KANO Website now needs as many players as it can get. While I'm somewhat sympathetic to what you're saying about how people who go "defense mode" have an unfair advantage - the fact is that the KANO website needs as many players as it can get. We should see what we can do to get people from FB to play on KANO website 1st maybe?

19. polishpimp

I agree completely that we need more players....what I dont understand is how this helps the current state of things in the arena? I personally think its doing the exact opposite. As stated previously...Things may very well be diff if participation numbers were higher....so until then why not base the number of attacks on participation numbers...similar to rewards.

20. Eric Thunderbone

Eric Thunderbone Active Member

Facebook. Viking Clan only. I don't know if lowering to two would help, but I really don't see the point in having a slider if the only options are one and two. Of course, I never really saw the point in having a slider in the first place because EVERYONE will use three (or whatever the max is), every time