[ZS] Protection Feature (Out of Date)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Smack, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

The time has come to release the Protection feature to Zombie Slayer. Below are some notes as to the specifics of this feature. Please have a read through and feel free to leave constructive comments in this thread. Non constructive comments will be physically pruned so please add some substance to the dialog that we can all benefit from.

Why allow Protection in the first place?
    Some players can find themselves in a situation in which they are being "griefed" by another player due relentless and un-retaliated hits against them. The victim can feel trapped by the griefer who is attempting to halt their level progression within the game. By allowing the victim to "protect" themselves from the griefer they can get some breathing room for 3 days.

What defines a “Griefer”?
    • An “Out of Range Griefer” is someone who places a player out of their XP range on the Hitlist 15 or more times than their opponent
    • If you are a Griefer yourself (ie: someone has set Protection on you within the last 7 days) then you will require more attacks than the above scenario in order to qualify.
    Who/What can't I protect myself from?
    • Hitlist Attacks - If you are placed on the Bounty List then you are fair game for anyone to attack you until you die.
    • High Level Players can't Protect themselves - If your level is greater than the average level of the top 30 players (for your network) then you are ineligible to Protect yourself from anyone.
    Where can I set protection against another player?
    This feature will only be visible to players who qualify so no news is good news :D If you do qualify you will see this in 2 places:

Rival Squads
    The Protection tab will show you a qualifying Protection Candidates as well as any Active Protection campaigns you have running.
    [​IMG]

Opponent Profile
    If you are on the griefer's profile you will be able to directly set Protection from here
    [​IMG]

Here are the hard #'s:
    Out-Of-Range Protection Qualifying Conditions
    • 15+ more hits placed against you than your opponent in your active rival window
    • Note: If you have recent Protections set against you within the last 7 days, each of those Protections will count as 2 hits against your opponent when determining if they qualify.
    General Terms of Use
    • Max 1 Protection Campaign in effect at a time
    • Protection lasts 3 days
    • Protection cannot be undone
    • Protection costs 0 in game cash
    • Note: This feature is in BETA and may change or be disabled as we monitor usage and feedback. This post will be updated as changes occur.

2. Wonder Bread

Wonder Bread Active Member

It's worth mentioning that this feature was released to LCN in November, and other than some initial confusion, was largely well-received by LCN players. You can check out the LCN feedback thread here: http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthread.php?9504

It was also released to Pirate Clan last week, with little impact. You can read that announcement here: http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthread.php?9598

It's also important to remember that most players won't even notice this feature, as it's designed to give griefed players a brief respite while having a minimal impact on players being available for battle. If you have any questions or constructive feedback about the feature, please post it below.

3. Agreed... having protection against one person does not give you immunity from their squad/faction members.
    In fact, if you activate proyection against someone, it might actually make you more of a target :p

If the protection was from an out of range slayer, surely the lower level would have to punch the higher level so they can actually attack them?
    If this lower level had actioned protection against this higher level Slayer, then surely they deserve to be hitlisted 15 times for their sheer stupidity, for encouraging the fight again :p

4. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Can someone being so called 'griefed' go into protection, then hit the griefer on bounty with no consequences? Still don't understand how anyone would let someone hit them 1k times in order to put this in place either LOL it's called counters.

5. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Was on other threads somewhere maybe it's not same on ZS, but I'd assume is the same, my bad.

EDIT> referring to this thread http://forums.kanoapps.com/showthread.php?8975-Protection-Feature-(Beta)&highlight=grief

What defines a “Griefer”?
    A Griefer can fall into one of two categories: In-Range Griefer and Out of Range Griefer

An “In-Range Griefer” is someone who Attacks/Punches a player within their XP range 1000 or more times than their opponent, basically preventing them from playing

6. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

No, if you Protect yourself from someone it is a 2-way street, you cannot attack or hitlist them for 3 days.

Yes because hitlist attacks are not included under this Protection. While this may sound harsh on the surface I do not believe we have had an issue/complaint around this in any of the other games and LCN has had this feature for about 3.5 months now. If this becomes an issue we will certainly look to address it.

7. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

You kind of took that quote of mine out of context as I was specifically responding to the point about being able to attack a griefer you have protected yourself from if they have been bountied. Here is the entire back and forth.

So in your case there is no in-range "Protection" in Zombie Slayer so this should have little affect on your fight list.

8. im the beast

im the beast Member

i honestly dont like this, to me is a waste of time spent on a feature that is not needed,if i want some1 dead it will b done weather its me or a faction mate... i dont mean to be negative just stating the facts..and bite is right for example if some1 protects themselfs from me ill go out of my way to make sure they die more,, u know gettimg faction to list and me catch, i know id do it for my mates... just sayin...

9. slave

slave Member

but beast dont you remember seeing this on the list of ideas that everyone wanted?

no? neither do i......

again another classic illustration of kano doing whatever they want regardless of whether is needed or not, but have no fear
    this feature will not unbalance the game like a 1/2 stamina refill would,.................................

10. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

As long as your level is not greater than the average of the top 30 in the game (see: Who/What can't I protect myself from? in the first post) then yes you can Protect yourself from a lower level who is repeatedly hitlisting you without you hitlisting them back.

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you over the weekend.

11. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

I am not sure how many times this has to be said but the Forum Ideas section isn't the ONLY place we receive feedback and suggestions. As has been stated this feature was developed a while back and it was in response to many years of feedback from players. We have been hesitant to hit all games at once with this but it has been released to Mob Wars: La Cosa Nostra since last November and it has been working out well without many complaints of "unbalancing" the game.

12. AlterEgoT

AlterEgoT Well-Known Member

HATE it!

That's what max xp loss is for as well as escalating bounty cost.

This game has become so restrictive. It used to be fun, now it's drudgery trying to find something to do.

I do believe you have effectively taken away the last part of the game for those without a fightlist.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. AlterEgoT

It's so unbalanced the other way as to not be funny. And before you say you don't know what it's like I beg to differ. Been there done that numerous times on numerous platforms.

Hidden factions, Taking away squad contract links. limits on bosses, limits on outbreaks, limits on challenges. Crazy boss levels. Boring same old same old content, the ability to for little accounts to harrass bigger accounts then stay dead.

Why not just automate it all and be done with it.

Kano used to be fun. Unicorns anyone?

again I say booooooooo.

Sincerely a sorely disappointed loyal slayer.

14. AlterEgoT

So they list with an alt catch with the one under protection and I wouldn't be able to do squat. Also being a high level according to your definition (on 2 platforms most likely) I can't use the protection either. so not a darn thing I could do.

Do y'all look for ways to run off your loyal slayers?

15. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

I am curious as to how your personal fight list has been affected by this change. From looking at usage there are a total of 7 Protections that have ever been set on ZS across all networks and all 7 of those were against different players. So at worst if someone has set protection against you that would be 1 less player you can attack for 3 days.

As for not being able to set protection yourself this was designed as such to not stagnate the competition of the top players who are climbing the ranks. While you are at the mercy of low level players who want to list you given what is surely a high initial cost to bounty as well as the escalating cost I would imagine that most of these lower level players are going to deplete their funds in a hurry.

You are welcome to your opinions regarding the state of the game but if you can please keep discussion in this thread on the topic of Protection so this does not spiral completely off topic it would be greatly appreciated.

16. Rob Morin

Rob Morin New Member

I would think that it depends on their level.

17. AlterEgoT

even faction enemies?

is under protection from you and you are unable attack. For more info please see this forum post: Protection Beta Info

18. AlterEgoT

my personal fight list remains the 3 whopping undeads. They are also top percent.

Doesn't matter. I stop by for a few minutes list my faction enemies and leave. When I started this game the goal wasn't to effectively hide it was to be stronger. The dynamics of what we started with are gone. It's boring.

ETA: my point is every new "feature" tells me I can't do something else. When do I get a feature that gives me something to do instead of taking something else away?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  19. polishpimp

polishpimp Well-Known Member

Im glad to see that you stated how many times this feature has been used across all platforms....hopefully u will do the same for the other games when it comes time.

The fact that its only been used 7 times since it was enabled (yes i realize the posted number was from march) indicates that this is a rare occurrence indeed, one has to wonder if it was even worth it. A couple of players have suggested that a player enabling "grief protection" may actually bring even more upon them by the griefers friends.....has there been reports of this happening?

Smack...u stated previously in this thread that it sounded "harsh" that a player that has enabled this "griefing" protection on someone can still attack the player they used it on during bounty. Your right....that does sound "harsh" not to mention completely unfair. This as pointed out can totally be taken advantage of. Albeit rare the number of players that use this feature making the chance of them taking advantage of it rare as well.....how does one rate more or less than the other? Has anyone looked into seeing if this was happening? Why would a player that has enabled essentially a restraining order get a free pass in the form of getting to go for a bounty with no retaliation? Is that the way it is and will be in all the games or is that just ZS? Just seems to me if its hands off...it should be that way for both parties across the board....not someone getting their cake and eating it too

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  20. Linda

Linda Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I agree Polish, I have already seen this being abused by a lower level listing a higher level just a few times less and then being able to get protection. Talk about using it to his advantage when he started with the higher level and gloats about the fact that he now has protection, while we all know he is the instigator. I don't think this is the type of player Kano was trying to protect or help out with a breather. As always a double edge sword.