[PC] Developer Update - Bounty List Free For All Levels and Costs

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kendall, May 10, 2011.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

We made a couple changes to the bounty list free for all that previously began at level 300.

We increased the level to coincide with content unlocked: Level 510 (Davy Jones Locker / about 60% content unlocked)

We reduced the protection costs ramp up below level 300, to follow closer to what a user will experience when they will no longer be protected.

Here are the reasons why we adjusted these levels, user protected costs and our thoughts behind it:

• level 300 players getting hitlisted is one of the top issues we deal with in our support (30-50% of the issues we deal with is around this), users not understanding why they can be hitlisted by a player at level 3000 when they are at 300. Active daily players drop dramatically from level 300 on which corresponds with the data that we get through our support channels, we suspect that players just give up if they hit a level +1000 player that has the funds to continually hitlist them for reason or not.
    • at one point level 300 may have made sense, but now that we have added so much content beyond level 300 hitlist costs and income levels between a level 300 and say someone at 1000 is not a level playing field.
    • players that are below the free for all level can still be hitlisted by people that are double their level, so a level 800 can hitlist level +400's. We may look at ramping up this range as a player levels.
    • level 300 can be reached somewhat quickly by a new dedicated player, getting repeatedly hitlisted by a +1000 level player is not a great introduction to the game and we suspect that it has turned off many players as mentioned above
    • costs were adjusted to follow closer to what they will experience in the free for all so that users can be better prepared for building up a stronger hitlist cost.

Feedback is always appreciated. We knew going into this one that it would be met with resistance, especially from the higher level players which is why we have gone as long as we have not making this change but with all the emails we get from players giving up as well as complaints around the fast ramping of the protection costs we decided to rip the band-aid off on this one and make a "big" change.

We are all ears on feedback and can always change back, but wanted to be clear on the reasons why we are making this change and share the reasoning with the community.

This is an issue across all our games and not just PC.

**** UPDATE: this change will be reverted to allow for more input from the community

2. MOJO1916

MOJO1916 Member

understand this

now can YOU please tell us all that have leveled without the aid of any protection...what you have to offer those that DID level....

is there more property that only high levels can buy ?

weapons only available to a certain level ?

any source of acknowledgement accros the games that have ..shopped with KANO
    or are we on the payroll...and didnt read the terms and conditions of our
    ......employment ???

3. resistance is right Kendall and more will be coming

4. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

We are all ears for feedback that has specific points on why this adjustment is not good specific to each game.

Resisting change even if it is in the best interest for the game is not something that will help us move forward.

The 30-50% emails we deal with with respect to the user protection level is something that we need to address for the health of the game.

With all the recent additions to the game as well as new content it seemed appropriate to revisit this and actually fix this system that has been broken for some time now.

5. that 30%-50% will now become the opposite of what it is now

instead of level 300s complaining itll be everyone else complaining

"now i cant protect my clan" "this isnt fair" "youve screwed us high levels again"

6. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

I wouldn't say that we are screwing high levels, it is redefining where the high levels and low levels are in the game.

When each game was released, level 300 was considered a high level with respect to where players were and where content was located.

Compared to PC a year or even less ago, a level 300 player may have been considered high with respect to content unlocks but today with all the content added they are indeed a low level player.

7. MOJO1916

MOJO1916 Member

i do understand your efforts
    i do
    however there is many that have kept several accounts in your protection ....for so long and higher levels have absorbed all this "as you say there complaining now"..(level 300)

you have offered no alternative...just ...thats it were minding the small levels..

they should not be hitlisting or attacking...your red...sign..inviting an attack leads you to be bountied

what do they care
    they are protected..lose minimal exp and gain a laugh

well higher levels can laugh as well...we can stop levelling...stay dead..
    arrive in ...bank..build a bigger empire
    and not once helping your organisation.....either in help with shopping with you
    or help in having an inbuilt entertainment centre for your FREE low level players

hows that .....gonna help them stay involved in the game
    when they dont have anyone to play with ...apart from them selfs and their alt friends

8. alka

alka Banned

Same old, same old. When you change the format of a game it's always the guys who were there at the start, supporting you, that suffer.
    I never complained when high levels listed me, when I had no chance of listing back.
    You've had our money, now you are making changes to get a fresh dose of $$$ from the new breed, in order the freshen the game up.
    This new system will make life easier for the new guys, so what are you going to give those that (as you call it) suffered under the old system?
    The cashcows will get fatter having a higher protect level, so it's tough love for the rest of us!:mad:
    But then again, who cares if we suffer!

9. i know this isnt what anyone is looking for but ill throw it out there anyway

how about a level 300 is still open game however for anyone more than double the level the price is double the real cost

10. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

We have reduced the protection increase cost to be more in line with what the user will experience outside of the protection. I missed that bullet point on the PC update so added it above and here:

"costs were adjusted to follow closer to what they will experience in the free for all so that users can be better prepared for building up a stronger hitlist cost."

Obviously we care, I understand that players can get upset but we are trying to be open on and clear on why we are making this change and open it up for input.

11. alka

alka Banned

How about removing the h/l option for players less than half the targets levels. What reason would they have to list a high level player if said player can't touch them?
    It's all bollocks and makes a joke of having factions if you can't protect your lower levels from alts, because your faction is kicking some guys higher level!!!!

12. ding ding ding ding ding

we have a winner

13. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

That could work but it would still have the issue of a 301 player not understanding how or why they are able to get attacked by a level 3000 player.

We wanted to make a change that was consistent with our existing rules.

14. MOJO1916

MOJO1916 Member

YES WE DO...remove the option ...if it blocked from abouve it can be blocked from below

15. its a no win situation for you Kano

change the rules for 1 set of players and another set will complain

change them back and the other set will complain again

its a no win situation

16. SkylerF

SkylerF Member

Am I reading this right? Cause the impression I got was that players above level 300 now have some sort of protection. Is that true? Something about players more than twice your level being unable to place a bounty?
    I think it would be nice. A protected bounty range, with the protection lifted if, for example, a level 1000 (playerA) attacked a level 3000 (playerB). Normally B could not place a bounty on A, but since A attacked FIRST... Like the battle range!

If my impression is wrong, then it's still a good idea - the bounty range. But maybe not twice/half of the player's level - maybe a different number.

17. monacho

monacho New Member

Playing over on ZS was a lot of fun in the beginning until you started to let the guys with the fake accounts walk all over us without us being able to attack them back... In the beginning I played aggressively and leveled quite a bit until I had enough and I pretty much stopped playing for a few months...

I started playing again a couple months ago and noticed that I could hitlist people down to level 300 when they needed it and the game was a lot more fun...

Now you guys pull the rug out from under us again so I guess I'll stop playing as much again...

You should figure out a way to open up faction enemies and people who attack our factions to additional attacks... and if someone attacks one of us they should be opened up to attacks longer than just a single death... You want to protect the new users that you think will give you money in the future and that's cool but you don't give them any real deterrent for attacking me if they are clever about it...

Are you going to swing the pendulum back the other way somewhat or is it time to stop playing as much again?

18. Bo Baby

Bo Baby Member

the funny thing about ur comment is that its not true, those lvl300s are doing what they should be and beefin wit people their lvl and then all of a sudden they get listed by higher lvls, thats for the birds...LoL

19. PERTINAX

PERTINAX New Member

removed because I just realised it was posted in wrong forum :(

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  20. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

**** UPDATE: this change will be reverted to allow for more input from the community. So please continue the discussion with the topic at hand and air out all concerns with the suggested and give alternate options that you feel may work.