Players hitting performance issues info + debugging - All Games

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kendall, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Hey All,

There have been some reports of increased latency and sightings of the dreaded "Refresh not loading button".

Late last year we migrated our webservers which gave us the ability to collect a lot more performance info as well as other benefits. We have been pouring over logs and specific player data that is logged on our servers, we have been unable to correlate that with what has been reported so far but we continue to dig into all the data that we have on our end.

For those that feel there has been a decrease in performance of their game and increase of latency, please answer the following questions in this thread:
    • When did you first start to notice a decrease of performance?
    • Are specific specific actions slow or all?
    • What browser are you using + version?
    • What game + platform do you play on? (Platforms are Facebook, Kano Play, Kongregate, Armor)

***WARNING ONLY TECH SAVVY PLAYERS READ BELOW***
    For those that are a little more tech savvy and comfortable with developer tools please continue reading. There are a few players that have reported they are seeing the slow refresh on loading the bounty / hitlist pages so would like to start there since it is the most heavily hit and refreshed action within the game. For those that hit that case on the hitlist/bount page and use chrome please do the following:
    • F12 to open developer tools
    • Select "Network"
    • Click "XHR"
    • Now load the bounty page like crazy, when you hit a request of +1-sec hover your mouse over the request timing that took that long and you should see a popup as shown in the image below. Just take a screenshot or copy all that text and send it over to support+performance@kanoapps.com so I can take a look at it.
    [​IMG]

We currently have client side sampling through google analytics that shows this data but has not shown any degradation in performance which is why we are going straight to the source to the players as well as looking at other client side performance logging other than google analytics which would take more time.

HJM and Jess like this.
  2. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Just a quick head's up that I'll be removing off-topic posts or posts speculating about the possible causes of the latency issues. While we appreciate creative thinking, this nature of this thread is dedicated to getting the developers as much relevant information as possible.

Feel free to add to one of the other threads floating around or start a thread of your own for that purpose. If you have any questions about the above thread, please PM me and I'll do my best to clarify. :)

3. zodiacdominance

zodiacdominance New Member

Well I personally have not noticed this issue to be more frequent lately than it used to be. Every once in a while (every 4-5 days) I do face this problem, regardless of what type of action I am doing. But the problem that I have been facing the most is that the job list and the raid list get deleted every 2-3 days. And this has been going on for 4-6 weeks, cant remember exactly.

4. RainSunGone

RainSunGone Well-Known Member

i clicked the support link took me nowhere,lol... anyway FB/ZS Chrome
    ZS.jpg

Dale Barrie likes this.
  5. John Godwin

John Godwin New Member

well personally I have noticed that the refresh not loading button is more frequent of late and as I mainly play via Facebook on Firefox and my OS is Windows 07, hope that you can find this bug as it is very annoying!

6. Qball

Qball New Member

I face this issue daily, on various systems. I mostly play using google chrome or chromium. The problem does not appear to have changed for a long, long time. I don't recall when was the first time I ran into it.

I have noticed 3 different types of issues regarding long loading times:

- requests like accepting gifts or helping with adventures timing out, leaving a loading graphic that never shows a result. This can happen for multiple items in a row but usually spans less than a second worth of clicks. If I refresh the page, the page seems to not load particularly faster or slower than usual.

- requests like bounties timing out leading to the button at the top of the page suggesting to reload the page. Unlike the previously described timeout, this button does eventually disappear and I can continue playing without refreshing the page if I'm patient enough to wait a few seconds. If I refresh the page when running into this issue, the new page takes a few seconds to respond as well.

- sometimes, everything loads fast, the game itself works properly, but assets such as images load super slowly. They can take tens of seconds to load even for small images. This happens occationally, lasts about half a minute to a minute at most. If I refresh the page, this sometimes solves the problem, sometimes it doesn't. It's usually a matter of just waiting it out.

By the way, in my own experience, google analytics is unreliable for this type of logging. I find writing a tiny script that pushes a few stats to a separate server that does nothing but logging is usually far more reliable. Not to mention it's far easier to send the exact information you want.

kevinmalo and Reg Hahn like this.
  7. Crazy

Crazy New Member

I have the same issues, I'm using Google Chrome, and its been occurring for awhile now. In fact it seems like its getting worse as time goes on, either that or my patience is wearing thin lol

Reg Hahn and AlterEgoT like this.
  8. Simon King

Simon King New Member

Definitely been noticing this issue. To answer your questions -
    • When did you first start to notice a decrease of performance? Around the last syndicate wars. Was frustrating during SW to assist the team or get kills.
    • Are specific specific actions slow or all? SW has been hard, raid bosses have seen big lags, hit lists. Most aspects of the game.
    • What browser are you using + version? Google Chrome
    • What game + platform do you play ? MW LCN on Facebook.

9. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

It's an email address. :)

RainSunGone likes this.
  10. Blue Nose

Blue Nose Active Member

Google Chrome, Armor games, LCN. Clicking on a players profile page... The delay in bringing up the page can be up to 6 seconds. Been going on for months.

11. RainSunGone

RainSunGone Well-Known Member

that would explain it,lol...

12. AlterEgoT

AlterEgoT Well-Known Member

Will try the performance test later but down and dirty.....

For those that feel there has been a decrease in performance of their game and increase of latency, please answer the following questions in this thread:
    • When did you first start to notice a decrease of performance? Been Decreasing for about a year, it's appears to slow down when new content is dropped in then adjusts some. But the really bad latency has been getting worse since about the time of raid bosses? Sorry guestimate as I assumed it was my laptop at first.
    • Are specific specific actions slow or all? Hitlist is the most recognizable as it is speed based. Upgrading inventory is atrocious. If I were to pin the tail so to speak however I would say it's generally tied to the attack button most of all.
    • What browser are you using + version? ROFL. As I've been sending in tickets just about all. Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m updated consistently as recommended. Also seen using Version: 30.0.1835.59 - Opera is up to date Update stream: Stable System: Windows 7 32-bit and Firefox 38.0.5 fully updated. Also have tried reinstalling flash etc. Also seen on my work pc but I don't have that information available at the moment.
    • What game + platform do you play on? (Platforms are Facebook, Kano Play, Kongregate, Armor) Zombie Slayers. Kanoplay2, kanoplay1, FB and kongregate all have been tested.

ETA: I've also loaded with no addons such as blockers. and as a side note it's been running well today, the times I've been on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Dale Barrie likes this.
  13. AlterEgoT

ok. well my "feeling" that it is running well today has been confirmed on KP2. Used the developer tool and so far the longest time was 136 ms.

Will test FB kanoplay soon. and continue to monitor to see if it stays improved. And now that I know what helps I will do this anytime it appears in the future to go with my tickets ;)

THANK YOU for listening and looking into it.

Sorting inventory on KP2:
    developertool061915inventoryloadkp2.png

14. AlterEgoT

alright seriously what'd y'all do? I've been about ready to give up with the frustration of trying to actually play and It's been smooth all night. No lagging whatsoever other than upgrading inventory.

Please oh please will it stay running smoothly like this.

2ND2NONE, Smack and JADES like this.
  15. AlterEgoT

spoke too soon.... :/ but at least it's not constant.
    developertool061915FBbounty.png

developertool061915FBprofileload.png

developertool061915FBbounty2.png

16. AlterEgoT

ack just realized was hovering wrong place. I should not speak/think when dealing with the killer headache.

Will just send the email later with the screenshsots.

Sorry folks. I think I'm thinking when I get these until look later. D'oh.

17. Chasity

Chasity Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the huge lag between when something is clicked upon, & when I"m actually transported there, within Pirate Clan on Armor Games, seems to get worse around 11am Pacific. By later in the afternoon/evening the lag dissipates.

Also, the Chats have been going crazy, today being the worst I've seen, resetting themselves almost constantly. Even in private chat today there was a point at which another pirate "showed up" for a few minutes, even though he wasn't part of the 2 person chat group, & we could see his non-related comments, as though he were chatting with somebody else (but then he & his comments disappeared). Plus, the chat will "jump" & take me out of one chat & into another. I accidentally posted messages in the wrong chat because of this.

18. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

AlterEgo hover on right side is what Kendall's referring 2, those little blue lines and hit print screen, and go into paint. :)

19. Chasity

Chasity Well-Known Member

I keep getting the following all of the time, at all times of the day, interrupting Pirate Clan:
    A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://tpc.googlesyndication.c…xp-2&p=http://armorgames.com:0
    Does this have something to do with what you are talking about? I'm not sure what it means...

20. well personally I have noticed that the refresh not loading button is more frequent of late and as I mainly play via Facebook on Firefox and my OS is Windows 8.1 trial, hope that you can find this bug as it is very annoying! and ate my fps