World Chat and Support

Discussion in 'Bugs/Issues' started by Grand Master Fielding, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

Mi7ch - for nearly a year now, there have been more and more problems with world chat and what is acceptable and what is not. KANO support has tried to be helpful, but at the end of the day, there is a recurring issue. There is no real understanding by many of us as to what is acceptable to say in world chat and what is not.

Recently - I was banned for calling my favorite person in KANO Viking clan a "crack hoe". This is an inside joke between myself and this young lady- so much so that even her own husband calls her a "crack hoe". If there is any consolation - it's that KANO also banned her from world chat after she agreed that she is a "crack hoe". Note there is no foul or abusive language. It is a well known joke that this young lady and I tease each other. Banning a person for calling themselves teasingly a "crack hoe" borders on the surreal.

While KANO Support has reinstated me and my friend (Annick and Melanie are always very easy to work with and quite accomodating) the fact remains that KANO really needs to have a better set of rules for acceptable and unacceptable behavior. If we are getting to a point where 2 friends can no longer tease each other without fear of being banned (again no foul or abusive language was used by either of us)- then this will really take away from the KANO experience.

I have discussed this issue with Melanie and Annick, and both of these lovely ladies agree that something needs to be done (FYI no one thinks higher of Dearest Melanie or Dearest Annick than yours truly) - the fact remains that KANO has not addressed this issue - even though many have complained about this. Another well known gamer in Pirate Clan was banned from world chat for saying that he felt as though being in a certain armada "had the feel of being inside a concentration camp". Now everyone should agree that there is a tremendous difference between a lousy armada/guild/syndicate leader and being in Auschwitz - but this should not be dealt with by banning a player.

Banning from world chat should be only for the following:

1) Threats of real life bodily harm
    2) Foul or abusive language - such as cursing
    3) Real racial or ethnic or gender slurs - Being a Washington Redskins or Atlanta Braves fan does not count for an ethnic slur - but using the N word should

Please take this up with KANO management. Our Dearest Melanie and Dearest Annick have better things to do than to constantly deal with players wanting to be reinstated for having done nothing other than joke with friends or make unfortunate comparisons.

2. gene illugi

gene illugi Active Member

as i recall , the tos says 18 yrs and older to play . has that changed ? as adults i see no reason we can't curse a little . being abusive with it is another issue . but damn . lol . i mean shoot .

Grand Master Fielding likes this.
  3. ben

ben Active Member

i dont see mocking up there

4. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

dont you know john? its a fighting game, they dont want people to be friendly towards each other

5. Justin the killer

Justin the killer Well-Known Member

Grand Master i will have to agree on you with this too..an i like both of the ladies on here only problem i have is that kano never takes nothing in consideration espically the loyal players who has done nothing wrong...wish i could get my world chat back but they wont let me have it back altho i have said sorry an all...but i know where u are getting at...agree 100% with you...

6. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought Annick was a guy lol but I agree with the OP

7. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Fielding. As I'm sure I've said many times, I don't deal directly with Support or policing the World Chat so I unfortunately can't speak to any decisions made around Chat bans, however I know that this is not the first time in recent memory that this has been brought up here on the forums.

I'll make sure to have a discussion with Support and Kano management about this as soon as I'm able.

8. im sure there is some players just read and click report for every little thing .. in this case they did not understand that its a joke :oops:........:D ..

[​IMG]

gene illugi and Kirsten like this.
  9. Demonik1

the wife and i got banned from the world chat by accident recently, she got 5 fps due to the mistake and i got nothing lol hows that for fair? haha

10. Heres my two cents, a buddy of mine and i not long ago were joking with each other in the world feed. I think we happened to be making light of the fact that I am a drunken irishman, and he happens to be jewish. In No way did we get angry or hateful with each other, we were just joking, weve known each other the better part of a decade now through this game. I was banned for using the word jewish. As an adjective, Sort of like smelly or brown. Its a word describing another word. Its not derogatory. It simply is. It is no different than Irish Or Italian, or Japanese. I think the moderators are going a little far. what is this 1984?

Kirsten likes this.
  11. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

Sometimes they don't even look, several reports=BAM booted, rather stupid.

12. Demonik1

lol i think i remember that night...all those hateful jokes really hurt my feelings and i cried myself to sleep haha

13. mi7ch

mi7ch Administrator

Actually, if you remember way, way back in the TGIF of March 31 - April 4 Support Report, Aardvark explicitly said that that's not the case:

"A quick note about reports! Some online services have systems that automatically ban or restrict accounts if there have been lots of reports about them.

Fun fact! We don't work that way.

When, for example, chat messages are reported, usually either myself or the lovely Glitch review them and decide if they need to be addressed.

So if your crafty plan is to get someone autobanned by reporting large numbers of their messages regardless of their content, please stop. It's a huge waste of time we would really prefer to spend resolving issues and working to improve the games as a whole."

14. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I hate to disagree, but... I tried to post a player link in chat months ago in Pirates, and I was autobanned by the system. This was before my account was reviewed and suspended when someone reported me. I haven't bothered to try to use the chats in any of the games since then, so I could really care less about this feature. I don't use chat because I don't want to take the chance of my playing privileges being suspended or revoked because someone reports me for something I say in chat.

15. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

It should be mentioned that I was once again banned from KANO Viking Clan world chat - no idea why. But it's getting beyond stupid.

16. ben

ben Active Member

you will get band if you break the tou

17. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Posting a player link in chat is breaking the TOU? Reposting game history updates to your feed is breaking the TOU? Calling someone names without using threats, expletives, or ethnic/racial slurs is breaking the TOU? I did not do any of these, and I received a permanent chat ban and an account suspension, to boot. I'm over it now, I just keep my mouth shut from now on, and let my bounties/slaps/whips do the talking for me.

18. Demonik1

wth, i just saw that im banned from the chat again and i know for fact i havent done or said anything offensive in idk HOW long!! this is BS

19. Giggles

Giggles New Member

ur not missn nuttn D... Trust me I been banned for someone elses mouth for a long time now and personally I like it better without the Drama Queen room interrupting my killing time..lol ;)

20. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

It's permanent until you submit a ticket to support to see if the ban can be removed.