[ZS] August 23rd Update - New Social Feed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Smack, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AlterEgoT

AlterEgoT Well-Known Member

ok just make sure you post something in the regular feed so I know to go look at my comments ok?

2. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

How is this any different than the old feed? There is still the Event image which is a quick visual indicator of type of request.

Admittedly the average feed item is a little taller but this is a trade off for the added functionality of expiring links, helpers etc.

Point taken and this will be taken under consideration.

Nobody is forcing you to 'like' anything. If you don't want to use it then don't, but like you say some people may want to congratulate people they play with and through that make new connections.

What was previously colour coded that is no longer? I am not really understanding this concern but please let me know otherwise.

Phew its not all negative :cool:

3. SHO KOSUGI

SHO KOSUGI Member

I just need a new challenge which is better for my level. 20k XP is giving me just like 10% of my total XP to level up! :(:(

4. AlterEgoT

we appreciate you trying to make the game more social but the easiest way to do that would have been to take the timeouts away from the feed. Speaking of which what is the point of the timeouts?

The comments are a neat counterpart I suppose since it ties what is said in response so you aren't wondering if someone was talking to you however, I enjoyed the feel of the conversation weaving through the activities. it felt more real life than the comments shuffled away.

If you want the facebook feel how about the way they do their mobile app with a plus sign all the way to the right that opens up the comment/like feature. Much more visually appealing than seeing all that orange everywhere.

As for the color coding I was thinking everything had a rhythm the name was at the beginning the link at the end. you could glance at the feed and tell what it was by where it was located. Color coding I suppose is the wrong word.

Could we at least get the comment/like in a different color than the other links? something that blends? if we are stuck with the things I'd rather not have them shouting at me the way the links do.

I am really struggling picking out the friend messages now as before there was no color so they popped out for you. with 4 different links all the same color it's overwhelming on the eyes.

The icons to let you know what type of help are crowded together with your icon picture and are overwhelmed with the orange/yellow links it does not draw your attention to help with sorting visually as you go. There used to be spacing between the two images if I'm not mistaken which allowed your brain to process them seperately. Now they appear almost attached so neither really draws the attention.

I am trying to be helpful but it's very frustrating that in today's world we have to overload on information making changes for the sake of keeping up with changes. These are not changes that are going to encourage people to play, they are simply to keep up with the times. And while it's not bad to stay cutting edge some of the changes are implemented simply because someone else is doing them, it often doesn't matter if they are good changes or if the consumer likes the changes.

New feed database is great. Greying out the links as they are used is great. The rest is just hard on the eyes.

5. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

The one thing I would seriously like to see changed, is a form of notifications.

It's going to be damn hard to remember which posts I even commented on...

I think that a notification pop up (maybe where they are for new invites and top squad earnings) that can link us back to the post in which we commented on would be extremely helpful and useful--and would cut down on the time factor of looking for stuff.

I get baked and play this game there's no way in hell I'm going to remember every post I comment on.

Also, as I said before, which Kendall kind of addressed....I deleted around 700 squad members because I could not see more than 25-30 different members of my squad at any given time in my feed.

I hope that this new stuff will help with that, so that I am able to see all the death deals etc. I know how many I don't see because I go through the death deals daily, and I click back as many days as it will let me.......and it's always the same 20-30 people.

I'd really like to see the other 155 squad members that I have in my feed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

Last thing I promise.......

I noticed that there were no death deals in anyone's profile feed anymore.

I would hope, that when I post my death deal, I can still DELETE it from the social feed at any given second if I want to, so that not every single slot fills up right away.

This is something that I really liked before, because then I can pick and choose who I want to help me, rather than some random squad member getting it. Just hoping things haven't changed on this.......cause I really liked that feature of deleting and being able to select who helps me, as well as who fills my contracts.

7. AlterEgoT

Undecided now on this greyed out link. Now we have to post request each and every time. That means for instance if my squad contracts expire a helpful squad mate can't go click on the link and fill it when I'm offline if they were in it before and had just rolled out.

It also means that I have to use my boss feed to rehelp with a boss. Not a huge deal but still kind of annoying.

And what happens when you've used your 25 helps on outbreaks and click on a link, does it go grey? What then when the time resets can I then help that outbreak I already clicked on or is it now dead because I clicked on it when I wasn't able to help yet?

So while I like not getting the popup you've already helped this zombie slayer I'd rather get the pop up then lose the ability to help when I see it even if I've already clicked on that particular link.

8. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

The outbreak help links don't do anything when you finish your max. They stay yellow, and when you click on them it tells you "you chave to wait 18 hours" or whatever...That's what I got just now when I did it.

I also agree on the squad contract thing, I hope that people can still fill them without me having to re-post it every time. Although, from what I have seen, the links go grey once they are filled....I have yet to see someone roll out of a contract, so I am not sure if in fact I even have to re-post it, or if someone can still fill my contract from a previous contract opening post.

9. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

What timeouts are you referring to?

You can still post general messages, and they should stand out given this event icon that is associated with it [​IMG]. Further you can use the 'Event' filter at the top of the feed to isolate specific groups of events such as 'Friend Messages'. Regardless, comments were not intended to replace feed messages but they do give you the ability to tie your comments to a specific event so that they aren't scattered throughout the feed with little context. The choice is yours.

I am going to chalk this one up to you being *very* familiar with the old feed and how each feed item was formatted. If anything the new format should make it easier for you to identify what type of request it is because the Action link is always on the bottom rightish of the feed item next to the 'Like' link. Whereas before it could have been embedded anywhere within the feed text itself.

I believe the spacing was less on the old feed, plus the player's picture now has a white border to make it stand out a little bit better. Take a look for yourself:
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

10. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

She's referring to when we get muted from the Social Feed after posting "too much." Although, we have never had a concrete definition of what "too much" is, and we just seem to randomly get muted from speaking in the feed.

I've tested it out, posting 10 comments in 15-20 seconds, and then I can't post for 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll post 3 comments in 20-30 seconds and I get muted from using the social feed.

"Please wait 10 minutes before yada yada yada" or whatever it says on there.

See I'm trying to be nice now. lol

11. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

You can still delete any of your own feed posts. You will notice the 'delete' link has been removed in favour of a small 'X' in the upper right corner when you mouse over a feed item that you own. For example look at this screenshot (the mouse went invisible!) and you'll see the 'X' I am refering to. Click on this and the feed item will be deleted forever.

[​IMG]

12. AlterEgoT

Mine went grey and told me I'd helped the max.

13. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

Yeah after I said that, I figured I should have looked before I spoke up and I saw the small X on the right side of my death deal help post....and I delete it. :)

14. AlterEgoT

It used to remain on your profile feed though just not in the main feed. now when we delete in main feed it's gone out of our profile feed as well.

15. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

You are limited to 5 feed messages within a 15 minute period as it was never our intention for this to be used as a chat. However, 'Comments' do not factor into this restriction so you are free to reply back and forth as much as you want using the 'Comments' feature.

16. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

I already tested out that feature on the comments lol......I really would LOVE LOVE LOVE a notification system that would link you back to your comments on a post, so that I don't have to remember who's posts I've commented on.

Also, Smack......in the feed, when someone posts a bounty on the hitlist, it will post the action in the feed with "claim this hit" or whatever. I feel that is honestly completely useless because bounties do not last long enough to even click on that 99% of the time. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a link to click on it from the feed when it will most likely be gone by the time you even see the fact that someone was put on the hitlist.

There are only a few hitlist riders on myspace that are able to ride for 30+ minutes.

@Alter.......If removes is ALL TOGETHER? So if it's not on the feed it's NOT on my profile? THIS IS LAME SAUCE. I do not approve of this. I want it back how it was before in regard to this specific issue.

By the way, I am maxed on my Outbreak help, the links are STILL yellow......and when I click on every single one of them (I'm trying it out to see what happens)........I get this from supposedly "VALID" outbreak help links.....

"You have already helped the maximum of 25 Zombie Slayer in the past 22 hours. You may help out more Zombie Slayer in 13 hours."

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  17. Smack

Smack Kano Krusader

That was a bug in the old implementation. Regardless, now when you delete it is physically removed from the DB so there is no turnin back ;)

18. Hashshashin

Hashshashin Member

That bug is what made this game partially FUN and selective.

I enjoyed, quite a bit, being able to tell someone "I have a death deal help, please help me." So that every random jack ass in my squad didn't have the same chance. It's my account, I should honestly be able to choose who helps me.

Now I'm going to have every random ass hat in my contracts.

This is seriously disappointing.

That BUG was one of the BEST features of this game. Looks like I really do need to look into quitting this game as changes keep being made that I do not really enjoy and that just make this game less fun for me.

EDIT: Pretty funny that I can like my own posts hahaha....45 minutes ago Hashshashin has just killed The Dragon Lord! Like......

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  19. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood Active Member

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I can no longer assist with an outbreak 6 hours after I last helped that has less than 20 helpers. The "Assist Outbreak Now" link is grayed out. I have a small squad and I am sure this will be an issue for others like me.

20. Relentless

Relentless Active Member

I love the new feed layout. Thank you Kano. I think this was a long time coming.