Kano Games Character Healing (VC/PC/LCN/ZS)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kendall, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

Character healing is a major part of every Kano game but it is something that has not really changed since originally designed/developed.

Many have noticed that we made some visible tweaks with the healing (which were not well received by all) and major unseen changes all centered around preventing abuse. We have come to the realization that this is only going to be a short term fix and a permanent solution is going to come from deeper changes to the healing that improve use and put everyone on the same level playing field. We have been brainstorming quite a bit on it and wanted to share some of our ideas for discussion.

1. [Heal] link turning into a one-click heal option. Improves ease of use and makes healing much easier.

2. New limits/rules introduced for healing your character (this will not limit your leveling but will remove current advantages of just hitting the heal link as fast as possible. These are yet to be decided but some ideas that have been floated around are as follows:

-limits while on the hitlist that apply equally to everyone, the stronger characters will still be able to hang on the hitlist for a bit of time if they like but there will be more skill/challenge of timing rather than clicking/refreshing a link as fast as possible which is currently the case.

-a varying cost / heal effectiveness depending on your use/frequency of healing.

Nothing is final but I am pretty sure that we will be looking to make a change in the near future where we will be introducing the one-click heal option which will be a huge improvement as well as introducing some new variability to the healing.

Comments / ideas are welcomed.

2. Griff

Griff Member

1. Would there be any way that you could do some screen capture videos showing a character in a heated battle while healing with the changes before you roll them out? Im all for cleaner flow of battle where we wont have to jump back to the opponents profile to continue attacking after you hit them into the hospital. It would be nice to have models of the different options you have in mind that the players could maybe vote on before making everyone all mad and upset.

2. Riding the hitlist has always been very fun and makes the entire VC community come alive. It is fun to ride as well as trying to take someone down that can heal up. More skillful healing on the hitlist sounds interesting as long as it doesnt get impossible and people can still ride a bit. Now days there are ALOT more higher level players hunting and when several are on no one can ride the list very long as it is. It isn't like it was a year ago where we could ride for hours. Now in ZS I see people still riding for ages . Seeing people on that hitlist last for a long time is what got me excited about Viking Clan and it got me all hooked on hunting and wanting to level up to meet these higher level players. It has been a major part of the game.

What I am suggesting is that you make a character with at least 30,000 health 2500 att/def and put them on the hitlist with your new ideas in healing and simulate about 10 clans with close stats as this and run some tests and see if it flows nice. I dont know how you guys do your testing but it would be a great asset if you did have a beta server that a few dedicated open minded players could run real world tests before you roll out changes mainstream and aggrevate the masses. I know you brainstorm and test but it will never have the same outcome as the real world players who put in major hours playing these games. I personally have almost stopped playing but I want so much for VC to become fun for me again since I have invested alot of time here and I see you guys are really working on it. Again, I want to thank you for keeping us all in the loop and if everyone could see some screen captures of what you have in mind then the changes might go through more smooth. Thats just my opinion I could be wrong....

3. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

See my comments above in "Mr Freeze" blue...

4. well if someone has maximum clan size,a really high base defense and the best defense weapons and warriors,then i think you can hold on list even if theres a slight adjustment of when you can heal

5. Kel the Merciful King

Kel the Merciful King Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am none too sure on this choice as it is skillful now the two click heal. I know some more people likely would like it ... but in some sense it would seem to make it easier. Combining it however with some of your other thoughts, seems to make up for the easy part with a higher cost/limit/decrement to the effectiveness.

In terms of say a level 400 playing the game, if it helps them, in your thinking, I am for it, for sure.

For me, I am way up there, and heal sometimes, and not other times. It is good sporting fun as Griff mentioned to heal, and my gosh, when you do get some healer type, after a long battle, it really feels like you have hit the jackpot! If that healer tho is crippled, that will take away some of that psychic reward.

I think tho, if you go one click, more people will try it, and it could have the effect of spreading the wealth around more v. a high level just drilling the person.

On those lines, if you have thought further of Black Bolt's suggestions (bit of my input on them too as his sounding board) on limiting the bounty kills by ranges, or rewarding a level of bounty kills, it would be great to see some of those ideas thrown out here too, for discussion. The healing on the bounty would seem to fall into a correlation here.

PS I like the Mr Freeze ... ouch

6. changes for better

Sound good and interesting
    lets do it and give feedback after so make it more perfect later ;)

7. Griff

Griff Member

If you go to a one click heal. (Which sounds great) What do we hit to refresh while trying to ride the hitlist? It seems that still makes it a 2 click process. What am I missing here? Oh , and there's more skill involved in riding the list than just clicking like mad. You first have to build your charater according to the masses to get your clan in a position to do this, It's VERY tough now after the att/def changes. Also, hunting is more than clicking as you have to also build your character up to better serve the purpose. Some of the responses over it coming down to who can click the fastest will make people think that is the only thing involved in hunting. I have spent MANY MANY hours honing my character and building it a certain way to better serve my gameplay style. Some people build to level (IE:high stam) some build to slap kill etc etc. My game was built to hunt. Sorry , but I kinda took the statement of it coming down to who can click the fastest to heart. This isn't always the case.... You have to time your hits and watch the health bar to know when to hit. The higher level players who can ride the list are the funnest ! Thats the ones that just being fast at clicking isnt what it takes to take em down. I am all for changes as it keeps things more interesting but in the end this is still just going to seem like a "click" game to most.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  8. Kendall

Kendall Administrator

So with the one click option this is what I am currently thinking:

The Heal link will be accessible in 2 places [Heal] in the header and a heal button from the profile. Clicking on either would bring up a modal with the results of the heal either (not weak enough to heal, or you have spent xx,xxx in-game currency, etc), the modal would disappear with-in 5-secs or so to give a chance to read the info or you could click the background to close immediately. So if you had a battle response open that would not be lost or if you had a boss battle response that would not be lost.

Over the past week or so we have spent a fair amount of time trying to optimize all games performance and will continue to do so, allowing some functions like heal to come up in an optimized/lightweight modal without disrupting game play is a path that we will be experimenting with as we try to improve usability.

Right now having it as a 2 step process irritates me when I am playing, I just want to heal my character, having to click heal and then confirm is something I personally find irrating when playing the games.

9. The Ice Queen

The Ice Queen Member

One click healing please :)

Maybe only from the game pages and not from the Health link.

And while you are looking at opimizations...
    When fighting on either the Rivals or Profile page, the Attack link disappears if you are clicking too fast and need to heal.
    Any chance this could be changed so it's there until you hit the X to remove the fight results?
    Chasing the attack buttong when leveling takes just as much time as healing :)

10. it would be nice that if we're attacking someone and have to heal,the attack button becomes the heal button and then back to the attack button again.

11. and will be more perfect when attack button comes back in the same place where heal button was .... so jumping up and down is so annoying he he ;)

12. T5000

T5000 Member

OK you realize the new healing button (4 FAV points) is not good - GET RID OF IT
    Until you come up with whatever your working on, - LETS GO BACK TO NORMAL

13. you realize if you click that button,you're no longer losing points right.

14. T5000

T5000 Member

But when it appears and you have to wait for the normal healing button to appear, there is an amount of lag in between
    Lets face it,Its a useless pop up that is going to be removed anyway
    Theve said it doesn't work,Theve said everyone hates it.
    Until they decide what there going to do lets GET RID OF IT